Tedeschi Vineyards on Maui

javadoc3

I was Spleen's reference about Tedeschi Vineyards. Where is Ulupalakua? Does anyone know if there are tasting rooms in Lahina. We saw a story on T.V. about it recently and are interested in visiting.

We went to Tedeschi Winery May 4th. We had a very pleasant tour and enjoyed the wine tasting. The wines are too sweet for us, but they were wonderful souveniers for friends.

We drove there after our sunrise on Haleakala (the one where the sun didn't actually appear icon_frown.gif). We decended about 7am, two hours before the winery opened. So we stopped at Grandma's Coffee Shop for coffee and bagels on the way. Pick up a newspaper to read because you'll have plenty of time. But IMHO, it is worth the drive (no more than 45 minutes beyond the turn to Haleakala).

Email me if you'd like some pictures: budjanet@earthlink.net

Tedeschi's is definitely worth the time! The drive itself is beautiful. You will be rewarded with wonderful views and a totally different ambience than you will find "at the beach". We usually make the trip Upcountry more than once when we visit Maui. There is sooooo much to see and do. If you can, take the time to have lunch at Haliimaile General Store! Yummy!! Aloha!

Cruising! It's like being in the Garden of Eatin'!

Javadoc,

I'm in the same situation as you - I'm researching all these fabulous places and trying to figure out how to fit it all in!!!

I may try just for the sake of saying that I have been there. I no foodie or sommelier, but, I do love wine and sampling the harvest of unusual regions (like Temecula in CA). Now that I am going to Hawaii, what better excuse to visit a winery off the beaten path!

Cheers

Michelle!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Aloha Vision of the Seas!

People have given you good advice. Tedeschi is a fun place to visit, even though the wine itself isn't all that great. Pineapple wine is a novelty that might be a good gift for people. One tip though - don't buy the wine at the winery. Go to Longs in Kahului or Lahaina - you'll find the same pineapple wine but it'll be cheaper. If you want to make it even cheaper, visit the Costco in Kahului. icon_smile.gif

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

Although Hawaii means "beach" and "volcano" to most visitors, Maui upcountry is really spectacular, IMO. If you do go through Kula, be sure to stop at Kula Lodge. The restaurant was too pricey for our taste, so we just went to the lounge for a drink. What views, and the grounds are beautiful.

Tedeschi is definitely worth the effort. The drive alone is worth the time.

icon_cool.gifbeachchick

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the info. I think that we will go to Tedeshi - we have never been to the upcountry. We will heed the advise as to where to purchase if we decide to bring some wine home.

• 3 weeks later...

A visit to the Tedeschi winery is a good choice. The Kula area is beautiful. The views are incredible. The upcountry road is good, heads towards Ulapalakua and has beautiful scenery. The wine may not be to everyones taste, but we like it. They also have a Raspberry liquer that can be served over ice cream etc. The Pineapple wine is good and does maek a great souvenir. They mail the wine for you from the winery for a fee (depends on your state). Its worth it to not have to hassle with packing and taking it to the PO etc (time). The grounds are nice and the facility is clean with some historical displays that are interesting.

A visit to Volcano winery on the Big Island is worthy as well. Decent wines. We packaged ours this time, sadly a few bottles did break, but most came in fine condition.

Costco and Longs are great suggestions, the local grocery stores have the wines as well. Cheers!

In case you forget a souvenir.... their wines are available on the mainland too. I own 2 wine shops and I stock their wines. They have beautiful labels of Hawaiian scenery in watercolors. I plan to visit there in Oct during our cruise. Hmmmm....maybe I cloud write this trip off LOL

• 1 month later...

I did a quick check on mapblast.com and I think its about 45 miles and about one hour to drive it - but they are always working on the road there coming out of Lahaina going over towards the center of the figure eight (Maui) shape of the island, the drive up to Kula and that area is really nice - view shots coming down are incredible. Ulapalakula Ranch is down that way too - really pretty area - even if you just go for the drive. The winery has quite a bit of historical photos and memorabilia. Oh yeah, the wines are good too!

Have as wonderful time - and maybe check out Iao Valley along the way - either coming or going from your trip to upcountry/Kula/Tedeschi, there is also a neat little botanical tour with a tram, about $10 - Maui Tropical Garden - something like that nearby. Around Wailuku - cant quite remember - you'll see it! Hiking at Iao Valley can be strenuous if you choose to do it - wear good shoes, but you can swim there too - etc -- versatile. Dont leave items in your trunk or visible in the rental car - lots of theft and the cops are always up there

Boozebabe - what is the name of your wine store? Live in Bridgetown, and sometimes I even venture to Milford. Will be doing a land tour in Oct, we were suppose to be on the POA, long story, leaving Oct 5 returning Oct 22.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great time driving up to Mt. Haleakala and stopping first at Tedeschi Winery. The driving time from Lahaina was about an hour to the winery, and we stopped at Starbucks first before preceeding up to the Mt. The winery is in a lovely area; they have a very nice wine tour which is short, and their wines aren't that bad. I especially like the "Maui Splash" which is great with cheese and appetizers.

We then headed up to the top of Mt. Haleakala and had enough time to return our rental car and make it back to town in time to shop and spend some bucks before boarding the tender. I highly recommend renting a car and taking this drive. It is very lovely and delightful. Although you can experience some traffic getting back into Lahaina, their traffic is nothing like our mainland traffic! Enjoy the day!

:D

Star did get back with us and picked us up at the pier. When I mentioned the winery, he said that it was too far and he was going to take us to the North Shore area. We did see some beautiful scenery and enjoyed the tour.

We also went to the maui Tropical Plantation and Ioa Needle State Park the next day. Both interesting.

Archived