Looking for best place to snorkel: Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia?

BelizePlease

Hello!

We are going on the Pearl on March 21st. We are looking to snorkel and are wondering where out of the three ports listed would be the best place to snorkel?

(we're going to the Boatyard in Barbados and hear the water isn't so great to snorkel in Samana...)

Looking for opinions from those who have been to these ports....where should we snorkel?? :D Tortola? Antigua? St. Lucia?

Thanks in advance for your information! :)

Don't know how long your Tortola stop will be, but we went with NCL's "Restless Native" catamaran excursion over to Norman Island for some very good snorkelling with beach time also included. We only had 1/2 day there so stayed with the ship's offerings.

You won't find snorkelling at popular beach Cane Garden Bay.

St. Lucia has some excellent spots so check out excursions that include snorkelling. Some here highly recommend Cosol's tours who offers some island features first and ends up at a snorkelling beach. St. Lucia has many black volcanic beaches with interesting underwater formations. Anse Chastenet is one famous diving/snorkelling spot and you don't need a boat to get out to the reef.

Fair snorkelling at Long Bay beach in Antigua, but a very nice beach with clean water, sand, changing facilities, food/drink. Not aware of a really good snorkelling spot.

Have fun.

For our Tortola stop we took Speedy's Ferry to Virgin Gorda and snorkeled at Bath's beach which was OK but not great--saw a couple of rays, an octupus, and assorted fish. We walked down to Spring Bay (go back up to the top of the Baths, walk back toward Spanish Town to the entrance then down hill) though you could swim over if it is not rough. The snorkeling there was much better. We did the Cosol tour in St. Lucia and had some decent snorkeling at the Jalousie Plantation beach. The surf was rough when we were in Antigua so did not snorkel there.

For Tortola -- an easy place to get to that is pretty good is Marina Cay. Take a taxi out toward the Beef Island airport to the Pusser's Marina Cay ferry (free). There is a good dive shop there on the Cay and the Cay is surrounded by reef. Like most reefs, the better side is the ocean side.

If it is not a good day for snorkelling, their Pain Killers are great!!

Here is a picture of Marina Cay:

MarinaCayUnbelievable.jpg.42672b2bed71ccac0d3f369ceb1e2b40.jpg

All of those islands have good - or better - snorkelling. You just have to find the best. I recently snorkelled all of them and had a great time. Anywhere this is a reef, there is good snorkelling.

I did: Virgin Gordon Baths - good

St. Lucia Hilton - Hilton between the Pitons - best setting excellent snorkelling

Paines Beach Barbados - the empty part of the beach where the waves were had good snorkelling - Beach was crap - Hassle after Hassle

Antigua - we took the eco tour and snorkelling was good.

DH is a free diver and I'm just an average snorkel gal but we both agree that Tortola and St. Lucia would deliver a nice day of snorkeling.

Tortola - Marina Cay off Beef Island. Wonderful snorkeling! And history to boot! Those Painkillers and Bushwackers aren't too bad either so I second that! Snorkeling around the island (it's roped) is a real treat. We also enjoy snorkeling Norman, but Marina Cay is just super. Again, the bar there is fantastic.

St. Lucia - Jalousie Plantation. There is a marine reserve to the right of the beach. Snorkel trail is a straight line out from the beach.

I don't think there is a bad place to snorkel at in Tortola. That has got to be one of me favorite destinations. We went out to Treasure Island and snorkeled there with a local dive shop call. DIVE TORTOLA. Great bunch of young people very helpful. The boat anchors in 55ft of water. You jump in and can see straight to the bottom. The first two fish I saw was a small shark and a barracuda. Then made my way to the caves and shore line.

There is not good snorkeling in Antigua per say. The island is exposed to the ocean so it is fairly rough most of the time. If it is available. There is an excursion there called "See antigua by sea" These guys take you and 40 or so others on a 60ft cat around the island. They take you past the nude beach, Eric Claptons house, dead mans fall (can remember the real name). They also take you to a Cay and cook a caribbean style lunch while you snorkel and relax on one of the 1000 beaches.

I don't think there is a bad place to snorkel at in Tortola. That has got to be one of me favorite destinations. We went out to Treasure Island and snorkeled there with a local dive shop call. DIVE TORTOLA. Great bunch of young people very helpful. The boat anchors in 55ft of water. You jump in and can see straight to the bottom. The first two fish I saw was a small shark and a barracuda. Then made my way to the caves and shore line.

There is not good snorkeling in Antigua per say. The island is exposed to the ocean so it is fairly rough most of the time. If it is available. There is an excursion there called "See antigua by sea" These guys take you and 40 or so others on a 60ft cat around the island. They take you past the nude beach, Eric Claptons house, dead mans fall (can remember the real name). They also take you to a Cay and cook a caribbean style lunch while you snorkel and relax on one of the 1000 beaches.

Thanks for the info on Dive Tortola. But it sounds like you must have been scuba diving if you were in 55'? Or was there a good shallow area for snorkelling?

DH dives and I've often gone out on the dive boats. Sometimes it works out for snorkelling, but sometimes (like Little Cayman) it's just too deep.:eek:

I know the divers also like Wreck of the Rhone when in Tortola.

We were just on the Jewel 9 day...

TORTOLA: we took the NCL Baths tour. Great excursion. On of

the better cruiseship one's we've been on. You get dropped in

the middle of the ocean (fun) and have a 30-45 swin to shore.

Great athletic swim, average snorkle. Not much wildife to see.

Tides are strong, are you have to be careful about getting too

close to the 'bath-rocks'. The baths portion is wonderful. Really

Really nice local crew. Stunningly beautiful Island views from

the sea.

ANTIGUA: We took an non NCL private 'adventure antigua' eco

tour with max 18 pax, mostly from various cruise ships in port. A

fantastik excursion, in that it featured 3 areas to snorkle. Lot's

of wildlife to see. A must. Great local lunch on board. Incredible

local and knowledgeable crew. Maybe the best Carrib excursion

we've ever taken.

ST LUCIA: We hired our own boat (again-non NCL) through

Hackshaw. 4 Pax, we made our own itin. We snorkled 3 times,

the best of which was the Piton and Soufreiere areas. There's actually nature reserves along the shores for this. The best

water wildlife I've ever seen, period. INCREDIBLE. Our trip also

included whale watching (we saw hundreds) and a lunch stop

in the Soufriere. A wonderful day at sea..

In Barbados, I golfed, while my wife did an NCL Catamaren tour.

It rained all day, and she felt like she was on a boat headed for

Rikers Island circa the 18th century (that's a joke). She did not

enjoy it whatsoever. Snokeling was included, but my wife thought

it was a joke. She has a picture of where the Catamren dropped

everyone off, of mayb 300-400 snorkelers, all of whom saw no

wildlife whatsoever.

In Samana, we took an eco powerboat tour. Average. brought

our snorkeling gear to the beach, but there wasn't really such

an area to snorkle as such..

Good luck..

jc

toronto