Quest Miami: Do they search your checked bags?

IowaCruisers

Hi -

Should we lock the suitcases we are handing over to the porters at the dock in Miami or do they X-ray or search them? Should we carry film with us to protect it or can we leave it in checked bags?

Thanks,

Brenda

Hi Brenda !

Every bag is X-Rayed. If you feel you want to lock your bags, you should consider purchasing the TSA approved locks, which can be opened without breaking them.

As for Film, I'd be surprised if the X-Ray machines would damage it (I've never had any problems), but you may wish to put your film in your carry on, and ask them to inspect it manually.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi -

Thanks for the info - I didn't realize the cruise ship personnel X-rayed the bags as well. I am a little suprised they have access to the TSA lock opener.

We've got TSA locks to go through airports, but I didn't realize we could use them at the terminal as well.

Thanks, Andy, for the tip about the film. I usually carry my disposable waterproof camera through the airports and pass it through security, so I'll do the same at the Port of Miami. I remember reading that the X-rays can cause damage to film, affecting the quality of the prints.

Brenda

We carried film for many years before digital and never had a problem with the Xray machines,no special handleing. (Think the xrays was an old wives tale) and yes they did go through at airports etc. EVERYTHING goes through. Also be prepared for everything you bring aboard to be Xrayed at every Port, and if you have had knee replacements, you'll get really friendly with one of the security people each & every time you board!

Hi Napi's Mom,

I'm sure I read that sending 35 mm film (or equal) through those X-ray machines can damage the film, and the x-ray machines at walk-through security was just as bad. There was a lot of press about this after the TSA started to x-ray the baggage several years ago. But, now I can't find any info on TSA website, so I guess it's OK. Thanks,

Brenda

PS - no knee replacements (yet), so we're OK there!

We are now using digital but when we were using 35mm it was our understanding that the x-ray for a carry-on is not as strong as the checked luggage. We never took our film out of the carry-on and never had a problem with the photo quality.

Tsa lock is a lock that can be opened by airport security. They can be purchased at K-mart, Target and I suppose wal-mart or any luggage shop.

After watching several TV specials about baggage...we and all the security checks we ceased using ANY locks as it plainly showed those in baggage handling, if inclined to steal your things...will simply cut off the locks...whatever sort you have! So far we've never been robbed BUT then we don't carry much others want to steal!:D

I agree that if someone wants to get into your luggage, they will do it. What I have found is that while the locks do make it a little more difficult for them to do so ( which encourages the thieves to look elsewhere, perhaps), more importantly, they keep the zippers closed and prevent the bags from opening accidentially.

At least that's my thinking.

Archived