Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Seattlecruiselover you are a wealth of information about your beautiful city!! Thanks. We're staying at the Alexis after a 12 Alaskan cruisetour. We plan to transfer from Vancouver to Seattle, and unfortunately we're not able to take the Amtrack train. I think we'll take the Quick Shuttle. We're staying at the Alexis hotel. Any suggestions about your favorite fresh fish restaurants and/or laundromat near the Alexis Hotel?

An interesting combo; food & laundry!!

Laundromats in downtown Seattle are pretty much non-existent. There is one in Belltown (the Five Points Laundry) at the corner of 5th Av and Cedar Street (it is right next door to my favorite hole in the wall/greasy spoon/biker bar place to eat---not much on looks but great food). The laundry is open 24/7 and would be but a short taxi ride from the Alexis.

As for seafood, go down to the waterfront (also close to the Alexis) and go to any of Anthonys, the Fisherman, Crab Pot or Ivar's. You can't miss with any of them.

Just wanted to say Welcome, I see this is your first post!

WELCOME!!!:D

Dianne

Thank you so much. I have been reading this thread for months and really appreciate all of the great tips, and ideas. May can't come fast enough for me. :)

Seattle CruiseLover - my DH watched a Seattle Duck Tour video on their website & thought most of the tour was on Seattle freeways. Being from Southern California, that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. :( What should we expect to see on their land tour (other than asphalt)? And if it's a heavy rainy day (we don't mind light rain), what would you recommend to a couple of tourists (other than the aquarium which we've planned) :confused: Thanks again for all your wonderful advice on this thread.

Seattle CruiseLover - my DH watched a Seattle Duck Tour video on their website & thought most of the tour was on Seattle freeways. Being from Southern California, that doesn't sound like a lot of fun. :( What should we expect to see on their land tour (other than asphalt)? And if it's a heavy rainy day (we don't mind light rain), what would you recommend to a couple of tourists (other than the aquarium which we've planned) :confused: Thanks again for all your wonderful advice on this thread.

The Duck Tour doesn't go on the freeway at all. All surface streets and into the lake. Some of the bridges may look like freeway, but they are not. And it is hysterically funny if you get the right "captain." Of course you have to have your duck caller and quack at all of us "dumb Seattlites" when you pass us...:D

Heavy rain? Hmmm, what's that? (OK, so yesterday it did rain buckets for about 15 minutes....could that be what you mean)? It rarely rains hard here (except in the middle of the night for some strange reason). But, if it does, duck into the Market, or the Aquarium, or onto the Duck Tour (they have rain shields on the side if it is rainy or chilly), or into the EMP at Seattle Center. Plenty to do if you don't like being outside in the liquid sunshine.

I've wanted to go since the Elvis movie and Sleepless in Seattle. We arrive 4:45 PM 7/23. Staying at the Best Western by airport. Got a good deal and I like BW's. Want to go to Space Needle for dinner as it's my 60th. B'day. Will we need a reservation on a Wednesday evening? We always do revolving resteaurants. Honolulu, Niagara Falls, Las Vegas. Thursday want to take a bus to downtown and just "see". Trolley, Duck Tour, the Locks, Pike's, underground, etc. Firday we have to go to Boeing and the Flight Museum for DH. Should we take the bus, #194 or #164? Spend as much time as we like, lunch in the cafe, then a bus or taxi back, or go Gray Line? Don't want to rent a car. BW will pick us up at airport and take us back on Sat., and we will have a rental car for 11 days in AK after the cruise. Flying to Vancouver, on Alaska Air using US Direct, so no customs lines, with Princess transfer. We fly back from Anchorage to Seattle for flight home to NJ on 8/13. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

I've wanted to go since the Elvis movie and Sleepless in Seattle. We arrive 4:45 PM 7/23. Staying at the Best Western by airport. Got a good deal and I like BW's. Want to go to Space Needle for dinner as it's my 60th. B'day. Will we need a reservation on a Wednesday evening? We always do revolving resteaurants. Honolulu, Niagara Falls, Las Vegas. Thursday want to take a bus to downtown and just "see". Trolley, Duck Tour, the Locks, Pike's, underground, etc. Firday we have to go to Boeing and the Flight Museum for DH. Should we take the bus, #194 or #164? Spend as much time as we like, lunch in the cafe, then a bus or taxi back, or go Gray Line? Don't want to rent a car. BW will pick us up at airport and take us back on Sat., and we will have a rental car for 11 days in AK after the cruise. Flying to Vancouver, on Alaska Air using US Direct, so no customs lines, with Princess transfer. We fly back from Anchorage to Seattle for flight home to NJ on 8/13. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Space Needle needs reservations any day/night if you don't want to wait in line for a long time, especially during tourist season.

If you want to go from one airport (SEA-Tac) to the other one (Boeing Field, where the Museum is), you take the 174. It stops right in front of the museum, more or less. If you are going downtown, take the 194, because it is an express. Taking the bus back from either one is no big deal, though, if you go during rush hour, they may be crowded (taxi during rush hour will cost you a fortune). Since you are going to be in town during the week, you could also take the Sounder back from downtown to the Tukwila station and then the bus from there to the airport.

http://www.soundtransit.org for the train

http://transit.metrokc.gov for bus planning

Seattle CruiseLover - you stated "taxi during rush hour will cost you a fortune", so now I'm worried. Our flight arrives in Seattle Thu, May 1st at 4 pm. If we take a taxi from SeaTac to HIE, what would the cost be (>$35)? If we take the Gray Line Airporter, isn't it ~$14/person with connector a "special order"?

OK, here's a question I haven't found the answer to yet. Does anyone know of a Hotel in Seattle that offers a park & cruise option? Preferrably near the pier or Pike's area? I have some friends who are going on the Westerdam June 15th and will be driving to Seattle and spending a night or two pre-cruise.

Thanks,

Kim

Navy Lodge Bangor (always ranking way on up there in military polls) is across the parking lot from the liquor/mini-store and McDonalds. Then up the little hill about a block is the chapel, then NEX, comm. on the right and on the left the weekday cafeteria, bowling lanes, fitness center. Straight ahead is the theatre and a few other things.

Walk out of the Lodge and look up the road and your heart will jump at the sight of the Olympic Mountains.

Is there really a military poll? I've been searching to see which one is more scenic. We reserved both Navy Lodges (Bangor and Everett). I'm thinking that if we go to Victoria, instead of Vancouver, Bangor may be more convenient. We'll be staying in Seattle near the pier when we arrive on June 14 for 1 night and June 20th (night before the cruise). On the 14th, we arrive at 10:30 and don't need to pick up our rental until 4 pmish. That would give us about 2 days in downtown Seattle.

Seattle CruiseLover - you stated "taxi during rush hour will cost you a fortune", so now I'm worried. Our flight arrives in Seattle Thu, May 1st at 4 pm. If we take a taxi from SeaTac to HIE, what would the cost be (>$35)? If we take the Gray Line Airporter, isn't it ~$14/person with connector a "special order"?

Unfortuntely, the Space Needle area is outside of the flat rate taxi area, so you are on the meter rather than flat rate. If you get stuck in traffic, it can mount up. That being the case, it would definitely be cheaper going on the bus....they don't charge extra for wait time.

OK, here's a question I haven't found the answer to yet. Does anyone know of a Hotel in Seattle that offers a park & cruise option? Preferrably near the pier or Pike's area? I have some friends who are going on the Westerdam June 15th and will be driving to Seattle and spending a night or two pre-cruise.

Thanks,

Kim

Downtown, no. Parking downtown (hotel or private) averages $30.00 for the daytime hours with another $10-15 for overnight (and that is per day) The only hotels that offer park and cruise are in the airport area, to my knowledge.

Unfortuntely, the Space Needle area is outside of the flat rate taxi area, so you are on the meter rather than flat rate. If you get stuck in traffic, it can mount up. That being the case, it would definitely be cheaper going on the bus....they don't charge extra for wait time.

Karen, now that you mention the flat rate area, do you know if the Lake Union area, specifically the Residence Inn is considered in that flat rate area?

Thanks

Karen, now that you mention the flat rate area, do you know if the Lake Union area, specifically the Residence Inn is considered in that flat rate area?

Thanks

No, we in South Lake Union are not in the flat rate area, we are "red headed step children" and you are on the meter to get here. Costs me about $35-40 from work (about five miles north of the airport) to get home, depending on the traffic.

Karen, have you ever ate dinner at the restaurant in the space needle? I looked at their menu and it's expensive but like the idea of the revolving restaurant. Are there other cheaper restaurants with a view? thanks!

Totally unimpressed. Quality not worth the price. However, with that kind of view, no, because the only restaurant with a higher altitude than the Needle is in the Columbia Tower (73rd floor), and it is a private club.

I'm sure I've asked this before, but I forgot the answer :o .

We want to take the Grayliner back to Sea-Tac. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Aurora. What is the closest hotel to the Holiday Inn Express, so we can take the Grayliner?

I am planning a vacation for my family of four (children ages 3 & 6), and hoping you can give me some info. How much time should we plan for EMP, Woodland Park Zoo, Children's museum, and the Pacific Science Center? I know it will depend on how interested the kids are and if they get bored. I'm just not sure if these are things we can do in 1-2 hours or if they will each take up a half day.

Thank you

in a day? On Saturday, 5/31, prolly start round 9a. Check out the Needle, catch the Duck tour, take a peek at Pike Mkt. I want to try and take DW on Argosy Dinner but the only time they are showing for that day is 4p so I don't think I can do Pike and the Dinner so will I have to make a choice of one or the other? What would another nice dinner option be for anniv celeb? Oh yea, I'll likely have to be at SeaTac at 9p to pick up others for cruise. Oh well, just another typical day for me, run run run.

in a day? On Saturday, 5/31, prolly start round 9a. Check out the Needle, catch the Duck tour, take a peek at Pike Mkt. I want to try and take DW on Argosy Dinner but the only time they are showing for that day is 4p so I don't think I can do Pike and the Dinner so will I have to make a choice of one or the other? What would another nice dinner option be for anniv celeb? Oh yea, I'll likely have to be at SeaTac at 9p to pick up others for cruise. Oh well, just another typical day for me, run run run.

I am not a Seattle expert, but I did 3 of the 4 items you listed (I have not ben on the argosy cruise) when I was there 2 years ago. The Needle doesn't take long, if you are there at 9am you can go to the top look around and browse the gift shop, then be on the duck tour by 11am the Duck tour is 90 min. so you should be finished by lunch time. Head on down to the market (use the monorail) for lunch and shopping. Then possibly time for the argosy cruise. Someone with more Seattle experience my want to give their 2 cents but you should have plenty of time.

I'm sure I've asked this before, but I forgot the answer :o .

We want to take the Grayliner back to Sea-Tac. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Aurora. What is the closest hotel to the Holiday Inn Express, so we can take the Grayliner?

They will pick you up right there with the connector service and take you to meet the bus downtown for the airport. The number you need to call is here:

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

I am planning a vacation for my family of four (children ages 3 & 6), and hoping you can give me some info. How much time should we plan for EMP, Woodland Park Zoo, Children's museum, and the Pacific Science Center? I know it will depend on how interested the kids are and if they get bored. I'm just not sure if these are things we can do in 1-2 hours or if they will each take up a half day.

Thank you

For all of those things 1.5 to 2 days.

Archived