Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

hi karen,

rather than ask a question that i'm sure has already been answered here, i decided to read through this thread to find out some info. when i got to page 6 i decided i better just go ahead and ask or else i would still be reading while the rest of my family was on a cruise to alaska!!

we are arriving in seattle on fri, may 30th and we have a day and 1/2 in town before our cruise which leaves june 1. we are staying at inn at the market and i will have my three sons ages 11, 13, and 15 with me. can you recommend someplace for dinner that is kid friendly, but still nice. also, any suggestions of something we HAVE to see while we are there? i was originally going to plan one of the tours like boeing or the museum of flight, but now i'm thinking i might rather just walk around the market, maybe the underground tour??, space needle (for the kids, not me!), etc.

any suggestions would be appreciated!!

also... i do want to get some wine and soda to take on the ship with us. hal does not restrict the amount we can bring so i thought i'd stock up. are you familiar with pike and western wine shop in the market?

thanks so much!!

Are they picky eaters? That will make a difference on where I might suggest.

They would likely enjoy the Underground Tour, and so would you. Or the Duck Tour, which starts across the street from the Space Needle. If you want to get them a little culture without their knowing it, so to speak, there is the Experience Music Project/SciFi Museum, also right next door to the Space Needle.

I don't drink, so I'm not familiar enough with it, other than to know that it is there.

There are ALWAYS contract limos available at the Ground Transportation Services on the third level of the garage.

Thanks once again!!!

... we are staying at inn at the market and i will have my three sons ages 11, 13, and 15 with me. can you recommend someplace for dinner that is kid friendly, but still nice.

If it helps & if your kids enjoy seafood, Karen recomended the Crab Pot for us... (two 15yo boys who eat a LOT.)

OK, Monday morning and you have to be at the airport not later than 6 am.....

The 194 bus would be an option for you. You would have to go into the tunnel at the University Street station, which is in the WaMu building at 3rd & University, and catch it at 5:15 am, which would get you to the airport just at 5:49'ish, just ahead of what you need.

Or, the Grayline Airporter leaves the Renaissance at 4:59 am and gets you to the airport at 5:55 am.

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

Both of these are the first buses of the day on their routes.

Thanks for your help Karen. I decided to go with the Airporter because I just couldn't picture myself lugging my bags on to a bus , although I'm sure the other passengers would've gotten a kick out of it :). Thanks again!

Karen - for fun I have been reading this thread (for 2 days now). I live in Tacoma (used to live in Seattle) - and must say you are a wealth of knowledge about the piers, the sights and the transportation around and in Seattle.

Reading your answers I have decided to go to Seattle today with the family and be a tourist in my own town. It's such a beautiful weekend - how can I stay away. (Yes I know there is an early game today at Safeco) - we will stay away from that area.

Thanks again for all of your information to all of the travelers coming to our beautiful area. I love our home and I can tell you do too.

Jill

Thanks for your help Karen. I decided to go with the Airporter because I just couldn't picture myself lugging my bags on to a bus , although I'm sure the other passengers would've gotten a kick out of it :). Thanks again!

The passengers might, but the bus drivers always seem to give that exasperated sigh when people come on with luggage, even though they know they are an airport bus and people are going to do it.

Taking the Airporter right from the Renaissance should work out well for you.

Karen - for fun I have been reading this thread (for 2 days now). I live in Tacoma (used to live in Seattle) - and must say you are a wealth of knowledge about the piers, the sights and the transportation around and in Seattle.

Reading your answers I have decided to go to Seattle today with the family and be a tourist in my own town. It's such a beautiful weekend - how can I stay away. (Yes I know there is an early game today at Safeco) - we will stay away from that area.

Thanks again for all of your information to all of the travelers coming to our beautiful area. I love our home and I can tell you do too.

Jill

I do. DD and I try to do the sightseeing thing at least two weekends a month (since she works the other two), just so that we can see things that we never saw during all of the years we were coming up from SoCal and trying to decide about moving up permanently.

Have a great day.....supposed to be 10 degrees cooler than yesterday, hopefully.

What is the earliest we can board the ship? We arrive at 6:30 am, so I thought we could just eat breakfast leisurly at the airport and then head over to Terminal 30 from there. Do we need to reserve a shuttle or can we jsut do that at the airport when we are ready? Thanks:D

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express Sea Tac pre-cruise. What are my options besides a cab or the Seattle Express to get to Pier 66? I checked Settle Express and they wanted $75.00 for 3 of us. Is this about average for transport one-way? Thanks!

I am staying at the Radisson SeaTac pre cruise and following recommendations of some others on this thread, I booked transportation to pier 30 with J and S Towncar http://www.jandstowncar.com/. They quoted us $65 for 5 of us in their SUV. I think their towncar is $45. I also checked out Seattle Express http://www.seattleexpress.com/index.html, which also serves SeaTac hotels to the piers their website says they charge $12pp. This is a different company than Shuttle Express.

a little bit picky ... not big seafood eaters or i would go with some of the other suggestions. is there anything somewhat casual in the market that is good or is it all touristy?

i have really enjoyed this thread ... thank you for all the information!

Thanks for all the information. What about transportation from the airport to Hotel Monaco for 2 people 2 bags each?

When we return from the cruise our flight isn't until 10:20 pm. We have visited Seattle several times and are looking to do something different. From pier 30 what is the best way to rent a car for the day and return it to the airport?

This is a vague question, but I can't remember the name of a "Preserve" on Bainbridge Island? Do you have any idea what I might be thinking about. I remember that we had to make reservations to get into the gardens there because they limited the number of people visiting at one time. Does that ring any bells? It was so peaceful there, I'd love to visit it again.

Thanks!

Hi Karen, couple more ?'s. Not in any particular order but I'd like to know if the listed make doable...(we'll be at Residence Inn-Lake Union)

- can we walk from Residence to Sea Ctr? or would it be better to take the trolley south, get off then walk west?

- both the trolley from Lk Union and monorail from Sea Ctr dump into Westlake on the south end?

- can we walk from Westlake to Pike Place?

- walk from Pike Place to Argosy docks?

- walk from Argosy docks to Pioneer?

- does the underground tunnel have transport from Pioneer to Westlake?

- last (at least for now) staying at the Residence-Lk Union, any place local we could pick up sodas? spirits? (rum in particular). Thanks again for all your help. We're two weeks out and tying up all the ends.

Ken.

What is the earliest we can board the ship? We arrive at 6:30 am, so I thought we could just eat breakfast leisurly at the airport and then head over to Terminal 30 from there. Do we need to reserve a shuttle or can we jsut do that at the airport when we are ready? Thanks:D

About the earliest they start check in is 10:15 to 1030 with an 11:30 board time. Depending on disembarkation it can be later than that.

As for the shuttle, you can do it either way. Reserve ahead or pick one up on the third level of the parking garage.

a little bit picky ... not big seafood eaters or i would go with some of the other suggestions. is there anything somewhat casual in the market that is good or is it all touristy?

i have really enjoyed this thread ... thank you for all the information!

Just down from the market on the waterfront is a Red Robin that is more than kid friendly, and portions are good. In the market proper, they close between 5 and 6 pm depending on the day, so you would have to go early. Lowell's is good for all three meals, but is also plenty crowded during the summer.

Thanks for all the information. What about transportation from the airport to Hotel Monaco for 2 people 2 bags each?

When we return from the cruise our flight isn't until 10:20 pm. We have visited Seattle several times and are looking to do something different. From pier 30 what is the best way to rent a car for the day and return it to the airport?

This is a vague question, but I can't remember the name of a "Preserve" on Bainbridge Island? Do you have any idea what I might be thinking about. I remember that we had to make reservations to get into the gardens there because they limited the number of people visiting at one time. Does that ring any bells? It was so peaceful there, I'd love to visit it again.

Thanks!

Thrifty is the closest at Pier 48, and they will shuttle you there from their kiosk at Terminal 30.

Bloedel Reserve. They do, indeed, limit visitors.

http://www.bloedelreserve.org/images800/downloads/selfguided_tour_bw.pdf

Airport to the Monaco:

Closest drop off for the Airporter would be either the Renaissance, the Crowne Plaza or the Fairmont, all within 2-3 blocks. This is the most economical transportation.

Hi Karen, couple more ?'s. Not in any particular order but I'd like to know if the listed make doable...(we'll be at Residence Inn-Lake Union)

- can we walk from Residence to Sea Ctr? or would it be better to take the trolley south, get off then walk west?

- both the trolley from Lk Union and monorail from Sea Ctr dump into Westlake on the south end?

- can we walk from Westlake to Pike Place?

- walk from Pike Place to Argosy docks?

- walk from Argosy docks to Pioneer?

- does the underground tunnel have transport from Pioneer to Westlake?

- last (at least for now) staying at the Residence-Lk Union, any place local we could pick up sodas? spirits? (rum in particular). Thanks again for all your help. We're two weeks out and tying up all the ends.

Ken.

1. It is about 1.5-1.75 miles from SLU to Sea Center, uphill.

2. Streetcar across from Westlake Mall, Monorail in Westlake Mall Third Floor.

3. Yes, yes, and yes but the last one is, again, about 1.5-2 miles some of it uphill.

4. Yes, but it is only open 5 am to 7 pm M-F

5. No, there is not a state store anywhere nearby for spirits. Wine, beer, water and sodas at the Home Deli on the corner of Republican and Minor, about a three to four block walk.

We will be touring the Olympic Pennisula the day we get off our cruise. I had found out the best route from the cruise terminal, but now plans have changed. We have some people from our party that are flying home that day, so we will be dropping half the group off at the airport. If we are leaving from the airport and headed to Port Angelos and Forks, will it be better to take a ferry? I was thinking that the Edmonds/ Kingston ferry might be the best choice. Which would be the better route in regards to saving time? We only have this one day to tour the area and get some sighseeing in before we fly home the next morning.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

If we are leaving from the airport and headed to Port Angelos and Forks, will it be better to take a ferry?

I know Karen will give you the feed back but it sounds like you like Stephenie Meyer as much as I do!:D

Dianne

I know Karen will give you the feed back but it sounds like you like Stephenie Meyer as much as I do!:D

Dianne

Dianne,

You are correct about Stephanie Myers, but it is my daughter who is the big fan. When she heard we would be close to the Forks area, she got all excited to see the areas that were in the books. I don't normally read books , but I think I will start reading the twighlight series during the cruise.

Dianne,

You are correct about Stephanie Myers, but it is my daughter who is the big fan. When she heard we would be close to the Forks area, she got all excited to see the areas that were in the books. I am not a book ready, but I think I will start reading the twighlight series during the cruise.

LOL my daughter gave me the books and they hooked me. I really didn't think I would be that interested.

I have been to Port Angeles, it's a cool little town, we spent the night then took the Ferry to Victoria. I found this web cam you might enjoy.

http://www.portangeles.org/WebCams.html

http://www.washingtonstatewebcams.com/la-push-washington-webcams.html

http://www.washingtonstatewebcams.com/forks-washington-webcams.html

La Push and Forks for your Daughter.

.Dianne

We will be touring the Olympic Pennisula the day we get off our cruise. I had found out the best route from the cruise terminal, but now plans have changed. We have some people from our party that are flying home that day, so we will be dropping half the group off at the airport. If we are leaving from the airport and headed to Port Angelos and Forks, will it be better to take a ferry? I was thinking that the Edmonds/ Kingston ferry might be the best choice. Which would be the better route in regards to saving time? We only have this one day to tour the area and get some sighseeing in before we fly home the next morning.

If you are going down to the airport, Edmonds would be WAY out of your way. Bremerton or Bainbridge Island would be a lot closer. It's going to be an all day trip over and back as it is.

Dianne

Unfortunately, Karen won't because she is in her "deathbed" with the flu (she told me to say that), but my sister Erin or I will until she is nursed back to health by.....um, herself? Since she is a nurse.

Heather

Please help us with a suggestion for transportation from the Airport to Westin Downtown Hotel. I've checked with the Shuttle Expresss website and it quoted us $70 for 3 people one way :-(

Thank you so much

Archived