Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Hi Karen

I'm looking into the Hilton Bellevue ... they seem to have good rates for the days that I'm considering. Some messages on Tripadvisor make it look like it's a stones throw away from Seattle.

Is it really that close and convenient?

Had to ask, because maps (esp Google) are inconsistent as far as true distance is concerned.

Thanks!

I live in Bellevue.

Bellevue would be a very inconvenient location to stay if your goal is to do things in Seattle. Even worse if you don't have a car.

Bellevue isn't too far from Seattle distance-wise, but traffic on the two bridges has the potential to make the trip to/from Seattle an exercise in frustration.

Plus the Bellevue Hilton is right next to I405.

I live in Bellevue.

Bellevue would be a very inconvenient location to stay if your goal is to do things in Seattle. Even worse if you don't have a car.

Bellevue isn't too far from Seattle distance-wise, but traffic on the two bridges has the potential to make the trip to/from Seattle an exercise in frustration.

Plus the Bellevue Hilton is right next to I405.

--I'm with you, I hate that bridge traffic--it's why I rarely go over there. Hopefully you work over there, too, so that you won't have to pay that $12.00 per day toll starting in 2010. :(

$12.00 toll ??? Holy cannoli!! :eek:

Add that to the cab fare, and it'll be an expensive ride.

Think I'll shop around some more, and leave that Hilton as a last resort.

Thanks for your help!

And if you're ever in my neck of the woods, don't be afraid to ask me for anything!

Have a great weekend

:)

Thanks for your help!

And if you're ever in my neck of the woods, don't be afraid to ask me for anything!

Have a great weekend

Vic: Toll isn't til 2010, but the taxi fare from SeaTac to Bellevue would be in the neighborhood of $60 anyway......

Caramba!!

I could take the SuperShuttle, or something else from the airport.

What would a cab run from Bellevue to the docks?

Probably around $50.

A town car isn't much more.

In truth, the traffic on the bridges usually isn't too bad on the weekends

but it's very unpredictable.

Probably around $50.

A town car isn't much more.

In truth, the traffic on the bridges usually isn't too bad on the weekends

but it's very unpredictable.

That's tolerable ...

Like I mentioned before, my traveling around will be limited. And if I do into town, it'll be by bus or train. Just get me to the harbourside on sailing day! :D

Thanks for your help! :)

https://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=true

regarding parking at Pike Place Market. You have to click on Location at the bottom and then Parking at the top. It takes you to the parking info. Can you tell me if these prices are old or current? I can't find anywhere on the website where it says it was last updated. Thanks!

https://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=true

regarding parking at Pike Place Market. You have to click on Location at the bottom and then Parking at the top. It takes you to the parking info. Can you tell me if these prices are old or current? I can't find anywhere on the website where it says it was last updated. Thanks!

I think they're still current. There are also private lots on First Avenue that are closer to the main arcade but tend to be more expensive. But don't forget that the city bus is free in the downtown area, so it's easy to park a few blocks away (at a cheaper lot) and jump on the bus to the market.

That's tolerable ...

Like I mentioned before, my traveling around will be limited. And if I do into town, it'll be by bus or train. Just get me to the harbourside on sailing day! :D

Thanks for your help! :)

Unfortunately, this isn't Jersey or "the City," no trains, but there are buses across the lake fairly frequently.

Thanks for your help!

Have a great weekend

Vic,

My wife and I stayed at the Bellevue Sheraton for three nights precruise just a couple of weeks ago. Turned out to be a great alternative! We paid $45 a night through a winning bid on priceline.

We had a rental car, but didn't use it to travel into Seattle; instead we walked over to the bus transit station (less than a 1/2 walk) and took the express bus into Seattle. $5 for both of us and it takes 20 minutes and drops you off at several great locations in and around Seattle.

Just before our cruise, we dropped our luggage off at the cruise terminal and returned our car to the airport, and once again took the express bus back to Seattle. We had about a 15 minute walk back to the cruise terminal, but you could take a taxi if you aren't up for a walk.

Post cruise we stayed at the Sheraton Seattle Downtown.(another Priceline win). Great hotel, but it cost us the same for one night as it did for three nights in Bellevue.

I did a review of the Sheraton Bellevue over on TripAdvisor, if you want to check it out:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g58349-d100360-r18693849-Sheraton_Bellevue_Hotel-Bellevue_Washington.html

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.

Kel:)

Hi Karen,

Thanks for all your info. We stayed at doubletree sea tec and took seattle express rifht from the hotel to ship for $12pp he gave a coupon and number to call for on the way back with $2pp off. I called at 7am told him we would be off at 9am and he was there waiting at 9am when we got off. We took public transportation #194 bus to town. Got off at Westlake center and took the monorail to the needle..Only disappointment was I didn't make reservations for the duck tour and it was sold out aug 2. So we went into the sci fi and emp museum and took the ho ho bus and we did enjoy our short stay in Seattle but would have really loved to do the duck tour. Would encourage folks to make reservations online if you want to do it. The area around the needle certainly has changed since i was there 10 years ago. We didn't get off the ho ho bus as there was no time but the kids got an overall of the city. We had to get back to the hotel as we had a 3am wake up call for the airport next morning. We had a wonderful Alaska cruise, wonderful weather there and in Seattle sitting on top of the double decker.

Hi Karen,

Thanks for all your info. We stayed at doubletree sea tec and took seattle express rifht from the hotel to ship for $12pp he gave a coupon and number to call for on the way back with $2pp off. I called at 7am told him we would be off at 9am and he was there waiting at 9am when we got off. We took public transportation #194 bus to town. Got off at Westlake center and took the monorail to the needle..Only disappointment was I didn't make reservations for the duck tour and it was sold out aug 2. So we went into the sci fi and emp museum and took the ho ho bus and we did enjoy our short stay in Seattle but would have really loved to do the duck tour. Would encourage folks to make reservations online if you want to do it. The area around the needle certainly has changed since i was there 10 years ago. We didn't get off the ho ho bus as there was no time but the kids got an overall of the city. We had to get back to the hotel as we had a 3am wake up call for the airport next morning. We had a wonderful Alaska cruise, wonderful weather there and in Seattle sitting on top of the double decker.

Sorry that you didn't get to do the Duck tour. You'll just have to come back and visit us again....:o . Belltown has changed a lot over the past 2-3 years, for sure, lots of condos and less of everything else. Just part of the yuppification of the "downtown" area that our mayor wants to put into place....pricing everyone but multimillionaires out of living there.

Vic,

Just before our cruise, we dropped our luggage off at the cruise terminal and returned our car to the airport, and once again took the express bus back to Seattle. We had about a 15 minute walk back to the cruise terminal, but you could take a taxi if you aren't up for a walk.

Just an FYI for anyone renting cars at the airport: Check with your rental company and see if you can do a drop-off in the city somewhere. Most companies don't require you to pick-up and drop-off at the same location, which can make things a LOT easier. I know there's at least one car rental company located in the downtown Hilton, and I'm sure there are others convenient too.

Just an FYI for anyone renting cars at the airport: Check with your rental company and see if you can do a drop-off in the city somewhere. Most companies don't require you to pick-up and drop-off at the same location, which can make things a LOT easier. I know there's at least one car rental company located in the downtown Hilton, and I'm sure there are others convenient too.

Good point, and actually we did rent a car with a downtown drop-off, but they closed down their city location early this summer and didn't notify us. (Advantage -- yuck!:rolleyes: :) ). We did negotiate a lower rate however.

Bus 194 express from the airport to downtown was a great alternative, and at $3 for two people, hard to beat!

Enjoy!

Kel

Good point, and actually we did rent a car with a downtown drop-off, but they closed down their city location early this summer and didn't notify us. (Advantage -- yuck!:rolleyes: :) ). We did negotiate a lower rate however.

Bus 194 express from the airport to downtown was a great alternative, and at $3 for two people, hard to beat!

Enjoy!

Kel

Oh that sucks that they closed their downtown office. Glad you found the bus a good option! I've done it once or twice myself, but know it's not an option for everybody, especially visitors who aren't familiar with the city.

Ok forgive me for not going back over 1,300 posts:)

Next year we are taking the pacific princess to Alaska and this will be our first cruise ever out of Seattle. Couple of questions

1. How far from the airport to where the pier is?

2. Is there more than one pier? If so what does Princess use?

Finally, I am limited to return flights (at least right now)......I have basically two options.......one is an 11:20am out of Seattle that gets me home around 7 in the evening or one that leaves about 3:30 and gets me home around 1am..........obviously you know which one I WANT to get on. Is 11:20am doable under normal circumstances??

Thanks in advance for any first hand info.

Next year we are taking the pacific princess to Alaska and this will be our first cruise ever out of Seattle. Couple of questions

Finally, I am limited to return flights (at least right now)......I have basically two options.......one is an 11:20am out of Seattle that gets me home around 7 in the evening or one that leaves about 3:30 and gets me home around 1am..........obviously you know which one I WANT to get on. Is 11:20am doable under normal circumstances??

1. It's about 14 miles.

2. Yes, there are two pier areas, and Princess uses Terminal 30 on Alaskan Way, which is south of the main part of downtown. If you have a map, it's down in the Safeco Field area of downtown.

3. Two weeks ago we disembarked from Terminal 30 and we could have made an 11:20am flight with no problem. Having said that, everything was on time that day. Customs at Seattle is very fast compared to other ports; just two agents taking a one second glance at your passport.

We always spend a night post cruise, so we don't like to head straight from the ship to the airport.

Good Luck!

Kel:)

Kel

I can't thank you enough.............great answers..........I will definetly keep this thread on my bookmark as more questions come up over the next 12 months before we sail.

I'm guessing we will do the mid afternoon flight...........after 17 cruises I know better than to risk 11:20am........but I sure hate getting in at 1am. Another option might be to spend a post night in Seattle.

By the way...........what would you say is the best way (not necessarily the cheapest) to get from airport to near the pier area? We will go in a day early and are using airmiles but will need some type of transfers......

Thanks

Presumably, and this is only presumption until we hear otherwise from the Port Authority, Princess will be sailing out of Pier 91 next year, which is about 8 miles (give or take) north of where they are leaving from now. Rather than missing downtown traffic, which is possible from the Terminal 30 location, it will be necessary to pass through downtown to get to/from Pier 91. You will need to factor downtown traffic into the equation next year, just in case.

Presumably, and this is only presumption until we hear otherwise from the Port Authority, Princess will be sailing out of Pier 91 next year, which is about 8 miles (give or take) north of where they are leaving from now. Rather than missing downtown traffic, which is possible from the Terminal 30 location, it will be necessary to pass through downtown to get to/from Pier 91. You will need to factor downtown traffic into the equation next year, just in case.

Thanks Karen.............who will make that decision and when?? (I know, silly bueracratic question:) )

Archived