Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Karen,

I've tried going through all these pages and have to apologize for probably being repetitive but here it goes - We are arriving not until 6:30 at night for a cruise to Alaska the next morning on May 30. Any suggestions on where to stay close to the airport that night and then how to get to the pier in the morning?

On the way back, we don't fly out until the day after our cruise ends, so we want to stay downtown to see some sights. Any hotel recommendations downtown? Would prefer to stay under $250. Thanks for all your help!

Karen,

I've tried going through all these pages and have to apologize for probably being repetitive but here it goes - We are arriving not until 6:30 at night for a cruise to Alaska the next morning on May 30. Any suggestions on where to stay close to the airport that night and then how to get to the pier in the morning?

On the way back, we don't fly out until the day after our cruise ends, so we want to stay downtown to see some sights. Any hotel recommendations downtown? Would prefer to stay under $250. Thanks for all your help!

Down near the airport, the Double Tree is good. There is also a HI Express nearby that might be a tiny bit less costly than the Doubletree.

For transport to the pier, I highly recommend the people at Already There Towncar. I use them when traveling out of town, to get to the train station or cruise terminal. Jerrett is the one you want to talk to.

http://alreadytheretowncar.com/

Downtown for $250'ish, you should have several options. Homewood Suites, Springhill Suites, Silver Cloud Inns are all nice properties, and fall within that price range.

I can recommend Sharp's Alehouse at 18427 Int'l Blvd. (just looked up the address.) It's not wildly exciting but you can google it & get the reviews. Even tho' we're local, we spend the night at an airport frequently before an early flight & that is where we always eat. Great chicken on the roasting spit.

Karen, thanks so much for your quick response. I will look into those hotels and car service. I have seen mention of taking a ferry to Bainbridge. Is that something that you would recommend us doing? Thanks again!

Yes, if you have time. It's a nice trip in the summertime, so long as there isn't a fresh gale blowing (then those flat bottomed ferries can be a bit rocky).

I stay at the airport before very early flights and I aways use priceliine and have never paid more than $75 All of the hotels in the 3 star bid

( that is the highest PL has for the airport) have been wonderful. I have gotten the Hilton several times and , Holiday Inn, and Doubletree 4 times. I also have had fabulous experinces with downtown Seattle bidding on 4 star hotels. Have gotten Westin, Sheraton, and the Edgewater (the best) for less than $150. I have NEVER had a bad experince with Seattle hotels with Priceline.

Karen,

jkw2765,

We arrive in Seattle May 30 in Seattle also, we leave the next morning for Alaska also on the Pearl. If you have an 2009 entertainment book we just booked the Homewood Suites, call them and tell them you seen there hotel in the direct to hotel section of your entertainment book I think its an orange section of hotels and they should give you a pretty good rate. We got ours for $159.00 a night. If you have any others questions I will try to help if I can. Hope this helps.

Hi Karen ~ I am trying to coordinate a large group (could be 16 or more people) arriving on June 7th for the Star Princess. We get in to Seattle around 10:30 a.m. and don't have to be on the ship until 2:00 p.m. (or a little earlier). Since almost all of us have not been to Seattle, i wanted to arrange for a party bus or something that can accommodate us all to "see" the sights of Seattle. Can you recommend a company that I can contact to arrange this? If we just decided to go right to the ship, is there a shuttle service we should use? We will have mainly all adults (only two kids). Thank you so much for your help!!!

Barb

AZcruiser321, by the time your group lands, gets their luggage, you won't have much time for any touring before you have to be onboard the ship. The pier is at least 30 minutes away from the airport and with a 4pm departure you have to be checked in and onboard the ship no later than 2:30pm. A 2pm arrival at the pier would be cutting it really close. Boarding for your cruise will actually begin between 11 and 12.

AZcruiser321, by the time your group lands, gets their luggage, you won't have much time for any touring before you have to be onboard the ship. The pier is at least 30 minutes away from the airport and with a 4pm departure you have to be checked in and onboard the ship no later than 2:30pm. A 2pm arrival at the pier would be cutting it really close. Boarding for your cruise will actually begin between 11 and 12.

Not to mention the fact that it often takes an hour or more to get luggage, especially if there are many flights landing at the same time (one baggage claim for the whole terminal area. Then you have to get everyone and their baggage loaded into the transportation.

Then there comes the problem that, with the new Terminal 91, you will be dropped off a long way from the terminal and have to wait for a shuttle bus to take you and your luggage to the actual point of embarkation (this means loading and unloading you and your group's luggage out of the airport transportation, onto the shuttle, and off the shuttle again when you get to the physical terminal building.

Hopefully, you are beginning to get the notion that, if you really want to see Seattle, you should come in a day early or stay a day late.

That said, there is a party bus company in Seattle, but they cater to the booze crowd......is that really what you are looking for, or did you just want a charter van/bus?

461891063_aXyWq-L.jpg

I recognize it will be tight, but wanted to give those people a chance to see Seattle when they may not get back again. If not on the departure day, how about on the return June 14th. Our flights are not until 2:50 p.m. Can we see Seattle with 2-3 hours if we are off the ship by 9 or so? Otherwise, I need help with a charter van or bus for that many people (some are older and I prefer not sending everyone separately in taxis). We are not a booze crowed. Thanks!!

SeattleCruise Lover- I noticed from your profile you are an RN too. Small world. We need great vacations to recharge our batteries. I love reading your tips to Seattle visitors. Take Care:)

Yep, I'm a triage nurse at Minor and James. And I agree with you 100% about the battery recharging, for which I feel overdue.....:D

I recognize it will be tight, but wanted to give those people a chance to see Seattle when they may not get back again. If not on the departure day, how about on the return June 14th. Our flights are not until 2:50 p.m. Can we see Seattle with 2-3 hours if we are off the ship by 9 or so? Otherwise, I need help with a charter van or bus for that many people (some are older and I prefer not sending everyone separately in taxis). We are not a booze crowed. Thanks!!

I'm pretty sure that Holland is like the rest of the cruise lines and offers a 2-3 hour Seattle City tour on the day of disembarkation that will drop you at Sea-Tac after it is over, and it hits the major tourist attractions. You may want to consider this.

Otherwise I recommend Already There Town Car. They have vehicles that can fit that many pax, are very prompt and courteous, and competitively priced (I use them personally for all of my out of town trips). Ask for Jerrett.

Otherwise I recommend Already There Town Car. They have vehicles that can fit that many pax, are very prompt and courteous, and competitively priced (I use them personally for all of my out of town trips). Ask for Jerrett.

Karen - I emailed Jerrett and got a response but am curious if anyone has had luggage problems without getting the larger vehicle (Escalade). There are four of us coming in May 9 to go on Star Princess on May 10. I don't think we have excessive luggage - probably one larger bag each and carryons. Anyone have a clue if this would be an issue?

Thanks!!

Mary

Karen - I emailed Jerrett and got a response but am curious if anyone has had luggage problems without getting the larger vehicle (Escalade). There are four of us coming in May 9 to go on Star Princess on May 10. I don't think we have excessive luggage - probably one larger bag each and carryons. Anyone have a clue if this would be an issue?

Thanks!!

Mary

They sent us a Lincoln towncar for two of us last year, and we had two large suitcases, a seated walker, a large garment bag, two camera backpacks and a computer bag. They all fit fine. With what you have you might have to keep the carryons in your laps. Taking the SUV might be wiser.

Thanks Karen! Now to figure out what time to get picked up on Sunday to get to the pier. Since we are one of the first cruises out of pier 91 it sounds like it will be a fiasco with the parking situation you described.

Next question :) Any idea what time we should plan on getting there (pier) - or (said tongue in cheek) get there at midnight the night before?? LOL

thanks again !!

Thanks Karen! Now to figure out what time to get picked up on Sunday to get to the pier. Since we are one of the first cruises out of pier 91 it sounds like it will be a fiasco with the parking situation you described.

Next question :) Any idea what time we should plan on getting there (pier) - or (said tongue in cheek) get there at midnight the night before?? LOL

thanks again !!

I never arrive at the pier a minute later than 8 am. I know that I normally have to perch outside somewhere and wait, but I am always first in line, so it is worth it. With the parking thing, I will probably leave home in Belltown not later than 6 am or so, so that I can be on the first shuttle going INTO the pier, if it works out that way. But that is just me. There is no Platinum/Elite lounge here, though there is a priortiy check in once you get inside, so it is worth it to me to get there early (but that is just me......and I WASN'T kidding about midnight, sort of).

Thanks!!

Mary

Mary,

Last year we used Already There Town Car and the people could not have been nicer. However, we ended up getting into 2 taxi's at the last minute from the pier to the airport because our luggage did not fit into the towncar. There were 4 adults and 4 large bags and 4 carryons that could be carried on our laps. They did try to cram the 4 large bags into the trunk, to no avail. I told them when I booked before the cruise how much luggage there was, I told them when we called after we docked and again once we got off the ship to confirm we were ready for the car. So, I HIGHLY recommend that you ask for the larger vehicle if you have any doubt on your luggage.

Another RN (Cardiac) here, albeit very happily retired for 3 years now. I have not forgotten what it was like needing to get the batteries recharges by the best type of vacation - - a cruise.

All this info about the difficulties to be expected at Pier 91 makes me all the more sure I want to get a hotel room thru Princess and have them do the transfer to the ship.

Mary,

Last year we used Already There Town Car and the people could not have been nicer. However, we ended up getting into 2 taxi's at the last minute from the pier to the airport because our luggage did not fit into the towncar. There were 4 adults and 4 large bags and 4 carryons that could be carried on our laps. They did try to cram the 4 large bags into the trunk, to no avail. I told them when I booked before the cruise how much luggage there was, I told them when we called after we docked and again once we got off the ship to confirm we were ready for the car. So, I HIGHLY recommend that you ask for the larger vehicle if you have any doubt on your luggage.

Hey, Teresa, how are things?

Another RN (Cardiac) here, albeit very happily retired for 3 years now. I have not forgotten what it was like needing to get the batteries recharges by the best type of vacation - - a cruise.

All this info about the difficulties to be expected at Pier 91 makes me all the more sure I want to get a hotel room thru Princess and have them do the transfer to the ship.

The Westin is a nice hotel, and they have a Princess rep right in the lobby on Saturdays and Sundays to help out/answer questions and such. Probably a good thing to do. I've been considering buying transfers myself, but don't know if I will or not.

After reading several pages of this wonderfully helpful thread, I think I have learned enough to ask for help deciding between two choices. We fly into Seattle on a Saturday in September...11:00 am if it's on time. Our cruise is out of Vancouver...4:00 departure on Sunday.

Choice A...stay at the Silver Cloud that night so that we can walk to Amtrak and take the early train to Vancouver on Sunday morning. Have to be on the ship by 2:00...nervous if there are problems with the train arriving on time.

Choice B...try to catch the 4:00 sailing of a one night cruise Seattle to Vancouver on the same ship we will be leaving on Sunday. Have to be on the ship by 2:00...a little nervous about this choice because of the time...what if we miss the ship due to flight delays...this is the cheaper choice though.

What do you think? Is there a better plan C? Thank you so much for all this help!!!

Archived