Cairo--car vs. van vs. bus

gerena

I have read on these posts that the traffic is horrendous in Cairo and that vehicles actually 'nudge" their way through. I would like to book a private tour with Nile Blue or DeCastro, but wonder if we would be safer in a larger vehicle.

Also, how frequent are the stops for restrooms in any of the above? This would be from Alexandria to Cairo? (also from Safaga to Luxor, etc.)

Thanks.

Hi gerena-We had 1 rest stop on our way from Alexandria to Cairo. That seemed sufficient. The traffic IS horrendous and many times,I had to bite my tongue to keep from screaming. I looked out my window of the bus at one point and came face to face with a bunch of sheep!!!

Having said that, we seemed to do ok in terms of never having an accident or running somebody over(that I know about!!). the only thing that really bothered me was on the return trip to the port, our time was running late and we drove MUCH too fast(in my opinion). At that point, I was expecting a tire blow-out.

However, we did make it back with minutes to spare. We were in a big touristy type of bus which was comfortable,in answer to your question.

Enjoy your trip-you will never forget it!! Shelly

Hi Gerena,

There are a few different things to consider here that may help you make up your mind:

Cruise passengers in groups of 4 or more passengers on a shore excursion will have an armed guard with them supplied by the Egyptian Government. Do I think this is necessary? No, I don't, but I know that it makes some people feel more comfortable - and the government knows that as well, which is why they do it. Since you mentioned Luxor and Safaga, I imagine you may be doing a longer tour (?) In that case you will most likely not have an armed guard with you, but in my opinion you will not feel that you need one and you will feel very safe.

Egyptian mini-buses have quite small seats and not very much leg room - and of course no toilets. The buses are much more comfortable and have toilets. If you can get together a group of 20 or so, I would recommend a bus for the maximum comfort level and because it allows the guide to stand and speak to the group with a microphone. If the people in your group can wait 3 hours between stops, and there are only 9 or 10 of you, then a van will suffice.

Nile Blue Tours is dedicated to exceptional customer service at a modest price, so I can highly recommend them since I have used them three times (to everyone in our group's delight!). The owner previously had worked with a number of well known companies such as Abercrombie and Kent and does not believe in cutting corners, but only offering tours with the highest customer service. I am sure you will be very happy if you decide to go with them. Since I do not know your precise itinerary I would recommend that you direct your concerns to Hazem Abbas, the owner/manager, and I am sure that he will be very happy to find the best solution for your group - large or small. And if you ever feel that the driver is going too fast, just tell your guide that you would like the driver to slow down, and I'm sure that he will respect your wishes. Nile Blue will never cut the time so close that the driver needs to speed. They understand that getting back to the ship in plenty of time is crucial to their reputation which is paramount to them.

Archived