Handicap Placard

dyanalee

We plan on renting a car on a couple of Islands, does anyone know if a California Handicap Placard is good in Hawaii?

Thanks!

Dyanalee

I believe so. We have some friends from Chicago and she always brings her placard and hasn't had any problems with using it. I think those are pretty much universal in the U.S.

I believe so. We have some friends from Chicago and she always brings her placard and hasn't had any problems with using it. I think those are pretty much universal in the U.S.

Thank you so much. I am making my list of things NOT to forget and I just remembered this one today, lol

Dyanalee

Thank you so much! I am making my list of things NOT to forget and I just thought of this one today! :)

Sorry about the repeated messages, the first two times it told me that I had timed out!!

Make sure that when you bring the placard, you also bring along the letter that is issued with it. By law, those two things have to be in the same place at the same time. I don't think you'll have a problem, but it's better to be careful than have to pay a hefty fine because you can't prove the placard is yours.

We use mine all the time and have never had a problem with it in Hawai'i.

Charlie

Thank you for this post. I am taking my disabled Mom to Hawaii and am planning on renting cars.

I always assumed I couldnt use Mom's placard since the handicapped signs usually say "Hawaii state issued placard required."

Would hate to be towed away for having a Kansas state placard. :eek:

Here we go:

Travelers

Many disabled folks worry that mainland states will not accept their Hawaii disability parking placard. However, a Hawaii placard is valid in other states as long as it is current and the disabled person is driving or is a passenger in the vehicle. Just make sure to bring along the actual placard and not a photocopy, and you are set. Also, Hawaii honors out-of-state placards that are current.

Archived