bear viewing option

#1survivorfan

I am in the process of planning a 3 week Alaska adventure for 2 couples for July/August 09. We did a cruise/land tour through Princess 2 years ago and are now planning this trip independently. Our plans are 8 nights in the Kenai Peninsula area, SB Princess cruise and then about 5-6 nights in British Columbia.

Here's my question (the first of many to come)

We want to do a one day bear viewing excursion. Which would be preferred by experienced travelers?

1. Bald Mountain Air to Katmai-end of July

2. Air trip to Hallo Bay-end of July

3. Island Wings to Anan-first week of Aug

Because of expense and other excrusion plans we can only do 1 bear viewing excursion. We are also planning a heli-glacier trek probably out of Juneau.

Any advice/preferences would be appreciated.

Marla

I have read excellent reviews for Hallo Bay and Katmai- I haven't actually been to AK yet. ;)

Hallo Bay will allow up close bear viewing while the bears feed/play in the meadows (I believe).

Katmai allows bear viewing from platforms. The bears are feeding in the river on salmon, the peak times are July and September.

For just a day trip, I think I'd be inclined to go to Hallo Bay.

Have you looked at their websites?

Good luck deciding. :D

We will be in AK around the same time. I really wanted to go to Brooks Falls, however, the salmon are not expected to be there end of July, beginning of August.

I suggest you contact all 3 vendors you are considering and ask them what you can expect on your tour. I did this and found that they all want you have a great time and part of that is knowing what to expect. Each vendor replied back with the expectations on their trip. From that I was able to make the best decision for our trip.

Good Luck! Paul

Let's get a few thing straight:

Katmai is a National Park and National Forest. Brooks Falls is IN the Katmai National Park and overseen by National Park Service Rangers. There are viewing platforms, which I personally think are overcrowded and "zoo like", especially on a day trip.

Hallo Bay is also INSIDE Katmai National Park. To the best of my knowledge, it was an old church camp years ago and morphed into a bear viewing camp 20 years ago. It is PRIVATE property. The owners live there from April-October.

There are various fly in operations-Bald Mountain, Emerald, Rust's and others that fly to the Katmai. They MAY fly to Brooks in the Katmai. However, they may also fly to the KATMAI-no where near Brooks or Hallo Bay. Basically, the fly in operators fly around until they find bears and a safe place to land. I have taken one of the fly in operators out of Homer and spent a lot more time flying around, LOOKING for bears than actually observing bears close up.

With those thoughts in mind and the time frame given by the OP, the only trip I would recommend during that time frame is to Hallo Bay. Since they live there and observe the bears every day, your chances of having a good bear experience are multiplied many fold.

Just a note on your option 3 -- Anan the first week of Aug... I have already booked with Island Wings for the 2nd week of Aug and was told Anan was not a good choice that time of the season but that Traitor's Cove would be better. I haven't been to AK yet and am only going on advice from these boards and Island Wings... but Anan may not be a good option the week you want. I'm sure Island Wings can help you with the choices.

Please be aware that Traitor's or Anan are primarily black bear viewing. I have been told that browns are occasionally seen at Anan.

Hallo Bay, trips to the Katmai, and Brooks Falls are coastal brown bears. They are larger than the brown bears in Denali, but not quite as big as the browns in Kodiak.

Archived