Hotels in Fairbanks and Anchorage in early June

TessM

I'm cruising from Seward in early June but I'm planning a somewhat self-guided tour of Alaska for 5 days prior to sailing and I need some help with hotels.

I'm flying from Vancouver to Fairbanks and I'll be there for 2 nights before joining a tour to Barrow (2days/1night -- to really see the midnight sun and to stick at least a few toes in the Arctic Ocean). Then, I'll fly back to Anchorage for two nights before boarding the train for Seward on June 8th. Oh, and I'm travelling solo.

I'm not renting a car in Fairbanks or Anchorage so I'm looking for hotels that are close enough to restaurants/shops so I can just head and out and see things on foot. I'd rather not pay more than $250/night.

Based on the above, does anyone have suggestions/recommendations?

Thank you!

If you are just "stopping over" in Anchorage and Fairbanks and not planning on seeing much of anything, then any of the nicer hotels near the airport or downtown will be fine. Check hotwire and priceline for 3* hotels. Be careful of the one and two stars in Anchorage - some of them are dumps.

Be aware that both towns are very spread out and really require a car to see anything. Bus service is limited and almost non-existant evenings and weekends.

If you are going to stick your toes in the Arctic ocean at Barrow you'd better wait until the ice goes out! In early June it may still be stuck to the shoreline.

I've put my feet in that water on July 5 one year. The ice went out a couple days earlier. but I had my boots on!

Check out Marriotts Springhill Suites in downtown Fairbanks across street from visitor center. Its about 4 years old and convenient to couple decent restaurants. One is Lavelles Bistro attached to Springhill and two blocks away is Gambaradeli's casual italian. Tried all 3 in '06 and they were great.

Had so-so meal at 'famous' Pump House, Pike's Riverfront.

Good Luck

Archived