Hawaiian shirts

coiran

It depends what you want. You can get "cheap" shirts at the swap meet, Kmart...almost anywhere....but you get what you pay for. Sometimes the shirts shrink when washed (well almost always) or are not easy to tell what size they are (a medium for one is not the same).

If you go to Hilo Hatties, Sears, or another better store, you will find reasonably priced shirts that are also reasonable quality. If you go to Hilo Hatties, you can usually get a coupon, and/or other hawaiian items.

Just like anything, anywhere...you will surely get what you paid for. If you want to use the shirt more than just this trip, I wouldnt buy cheap. If it is a one or two time thing, go to the swap meet....they are $10 there.

JMO

Thanks Suebee - will they last three weeks maybe three washings - we don't have the climate to wear that stuff in Michigan.

By the way, not for you suebee, monkiebusiness, is all womens, OK for DW but what about me??

Ron

Ron

Ron, just buy a size up and you'll be fine. If youre a little thick in the middle especially. When my husband had a little bigger belly, his aloha shirts fit well in the shoulders but were snug in the middle. Wear a fitted Tshirt and you can try it on easily.

As for the second question...can you rephrase that? I am not sure what youre asking. Womens or mens aloha wear? OK? Womens aloha shirts are just like mens in cut. But there are also sleeveless varieties that look quite nice for women. Mens cuts are basically the same as any button down shirt but short sleeved. Women also have the option of capri sets (blouse and short pants), just short pants with a solid shirt, or dresses and Muumuus. At the swapmeet, I wouldnt buy any womens wear unless I could try it on. And most places do not have a convenient place to do that.

Ron - you may want to wait until you land. High quality aloha shirts can be purchased online but when you're talking cheaper stuff, you may want to eyeball it first before purchasing. Swap meet is a good idea - K-mart, Walmart in Hawaii may be another. A higher quality version would be going to Macy's in Hawaii - plenty of aloha shirts to choose from.

Spleen

My husband bought one at the swap meet. But, I bought my dresses at KMart (in Waikele). I liked them and they were a good price. My dresses havent shrunk or anything. I dont think the husband has worn his much b/c he has been gone for a while.

The swap meet is at the stadium. Vendors set up all around the outside. I think it costs like .50 per car. You can find lots of cool stuff at good prices, but make sure you inspect it....you get what you pay for, as others have said.

Mandy

My wife and I were looking for shorts for her last November as she forgot to pack any. Couldn't find them anywhere until we wandered into a Salvation Army Store. She found three pairs of shorts and I got 4 shirts, including two Hawaiian shirts. Several items still had the new stickers on them. Nothing was more than $4.00. The store was on the main road to the airport from Waikiki, near a Wal-Mart.

Bud Laumann

Yes, Salvation Army, Goodwill and Savers (kidney foundation) all have stores in Hawaii and you can get nearly new shirts for next to nothing...another good option. Although I would make sure to wash it before wearing. Sometimes the clothes smell like an old closet.

coiran:

The swap meet is at the ALOHA STADIUM - out towards Pearl Harbor.

Wed, Sat & Sun 7am - 3pm

Great bargains (even better than International Marketplace) and you can frequently bargain prices with the vendors if you're buying multiple items.

Enjoy!;)

KTE

coiran:

The swap meet is at the ALOHA STADIUM - out towards Pearl Harbor.

Wed, Sat & Sun 7am - 3pm

Great bargains (even better than International Marketplace) and you can frequently bargain prices with the vendors if you're buying multiple items.

Enjoy!;)

KTE

Corian - an earlier thread on the topic also:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=19087&highlight=Swap+Meet

I would really consider buying before you go. Is it worth saving a couple of dollars to waste your valuable shore time in Hawaii trying to get to the swap meet or finding the K-Mart (not where I want to spend MY vacation)?????

Hilo Hattie's is not overly expensive, and you can order on-line. This way you can have a Hawaiian shirt or two to wear throughout your cruise or even on the plane.

http://www.hilohattie.com

We did buy a couple nice shirts at a shop in Aloha Tower complex the last time we were there if you want to wait until you get to Honolulu.

We bought matching men's shirt and my dress at a place in the International MarketPlace. In fact, bought 2 sets. They were $29 for both!. I must note that I'm still wearing my sleeveless dresses, but my husband's shirts were good for the cruise and our vacation afterwards. They were cotton and did nto last too many washings.

My husband did buy 3 hawaiin shirts, but he bought 1 Kamehameha brand and 2 Paradise Found shirts. Were about $60 each. They all are made in Hawaii and have coconut buttons and the design matches where the pocket is attached.

He reasoning was if he was going to Hawaii, he wanted authenic Hawaiian shirts, made in Hawaii. They are rayon. We bought them in October 2002. 2 years later they are still fine.

So I agree with the saying, you get what you pay for. If you only want it for a couple of weeks and have no intention of ever wearing it at home, go to the international marketplace and barter.

We also went to the Aloha stadium. You have to check the clothes and things you purchase there very carefully. Most items are flea market quality and you have to check everything. You can do well there for souvenirs to take back home, but you have to be willing to go thru each item and check it.

We bought 30 t-shirts for $60, but it took me a couple of hours to find sizes, uncut tags, designs I wanted, etc. To someone else, this may not be worth it. I was there for 6 days post cruise, so we had the time.

Enjoy your time in Hawaii!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived