Road to Hana vs Haleakala vs both??

kcshonks

We are renting a car for our first day in Kahului (on PoAl) and are trying to figure out (realistically) what we can get accomplished in one day.

We have read a lot of the posts on Road to Hana and think it would be something we would really enjoy but also have interest in driving to Haleakala. Are doing both in the same day even possible? Which would be the better option if we could just choose one? Is there better timing for which one to start with if we did both? I understand RTH is very congested so wondered if doing Haleakala first and then RTH would mean less congestion. We should be able to have the car until 9 or 10pm.

We are snorkeling on Molokini and doing a whale watch the second day, both activities that we really want to do.

Thanks so much for your comments and help!

We did haleakala on a spectacularly clear day, and it was stunning. We did not attempt the RTH, as from what I have read, this really is a full day in itself, and is not something you would want to rush. I'm not sure that it would be advisable to return from Hana after dark, but others with more experience should confirm this.

You might do the RTH and then go up Haleakala for sunset, but that is one mighty full, mighty tiring day. Whoever drives is going to be driving for an absolute minimum of 7 hours--that's drive time for the RTH and then up and back from Haleakala and doesn't count any time for stops. That's also twisting/turning driving for both the RTH and up to Haleakala.

I'm not saying it can't be done physically, but I have to wonder how much you will really enjoy it if you spend the whole day just trying to cram in as much as possible. Some people do seem to thrive on that, but many others think it's a good idea right up until the point where they realize they are exhausted and mostly remember sitting in the car driving from place to place.

The RTH can be crowded later in the day, so a later start isn't the best choice. As well, you should not be driving back from Hana at night because it's just not a safe place for non-locals who don't know the road well. Driving down from Haleakala after sunset would be the better choice IMO.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you will have a very busy and early day the next day. If you are absolutely wiped out from doing the RTH (a minimum investment of 7 hours) and Haleakala (a minimum investment of 4 hours) the day before, how much will you enjoy your snorkeling and whale watching the next day? Again, some people will say "No problem," but most simply would not be able to do so. And you absolutely should not do the RTH unless you (1) love long scenic drives and (2) are willing to give it the time it deserves to "do it right," including going past Hana and down to Oheo Gulch (aka Seven Sacred Pools).

Believe me, I understand the desire to do as much as possible. I've "been there and tried to do that" once upon a time. The thing is that it's simply not possible to see/do it all or even "most" or really even "a lot" on a cruise because there are literally hundreds of things to see and do on the islands. As a general note (and not directed at kcshonks), it's always problematic when someone asks "Am I missing any must dos?" because the answer is "Of course you are."

I'm well aware that I'm a bit infamous for my "take time to stop and smell the plumerias" speech, but I really feel strongly that memories of Hawaii should not be that you spent all your time in a car rushing from A to B to C to D to E without really relishing any of it. Even those who want to go-go-go until they're so exhausted they collapse should plan a little time to simply be in Hawaii and feel what the aloha spirit means. I strongly urge you to choose the activities that are most important to you for this trip and make those experiences you will treasure. Then, you can save other things for your next trip. (beachchick's Hawaii visit motto: There should always be a next trip.)

If I had to choose, I'd skip the RTH and instead go to Iao Valley because that will give you a taste of what the RTH is like. It's not far from Kahului (out of Wailuku) and has the lush tropical feel with waterfalls (not as huge, but still pretty), running streams, a nature center, trails, and Iao Needle. The investment of your time would only be a few hours. That way, you could decide the day you're there which to do first. Look up at Haleakala in the morning. If the summit is clouded in, go to Iao first and then check Haleakala again. If the summit appears clear, then head up to Haleakala and do Iao later. Usually, conditions at Haleakala are better in the morning with the inversion layer coming in later in the day.

Hope you have a delightful time.

beachchick

:o We went to Hawaii but not on a cruise so we had a lot of time for the RTH but we missed a lot because if you don't know where the falls etc. are you will miss them. Buy a guide book before you go so you will be able to plan all your stops and know where to stop, There are not a lot of signs. The road is very narrow, winding and there are I believe about 52 one way bridges:eek: and as the post above me said you don't want to be on that road at night. It is a beautiful drive and worth the trip if you don't rush it. Take refreshments with you as we did not find but a couple of places for this type of thing on the road. Have fun!:)

DH and I did RTH 10 years ago on our own. Left early with a cooler full of food and drinks and a full tank of gas. Got one of those map books with the odometer setttings on it and told us when to stop and what we should go see. Found a beautiful waterfall 3/4 of the way there to swim in. Gorgeous. Total paradise. But coming home it was dusky. Some locals were coming home and they know the roads so they weren't going the turtle crawl we were back to our hotel. Definitely get out of Hana at a decent time.

Second time was 5 years ago with family and a tour mini van. He knew things we didn't know and stopped to pick Rose Apples for ds3 (apples that SMELL like roses==yes yummy) and showed us the trees that look like somebody colored on it with crayons to ferns that close up when you touch them. But he wouldn't stop at Hana, drove by the post office so fast we couldn't snap a picture. We did persuade him to stop where our lovely waterfall was which (because of the dry season that year) was a pitiful drip and all dried up.

That being said we had a good time, but it is a LONG day if you drive yourselves.

Archived