Back from the Spirit 2/17-2/24/08... a short review (well mabye not so short)!

Preds

Well, we got off the Spirit this morning and had a great experience. I wish I could say the same about US Airways as upon arrival at the New Orleans airport US Airways canceled our flight! I’m currently sitting in the Hilton across the street from the airport until tomorrow afternoon and will now miss a day of work as well as our kids missing a day of school. I’m also going to eat tickets to a Sabres/Flyers game tomorrow night because we won’t get back home until too late. Oh well, just roll with the punches I guess! Instead I have time to kill, so since I have nothing better to do, here’s a quick (well maybe not so quick) summary of our week:

This was our 4th cruise on NCL (5th overall), and our 2nd time on the Spirit. She’s definitely showing some age and is in need of a good dry dock to spiff her up (coming in November), but she’s still a beautiful ship that we really enjoy. For those wondering, the highest speed I noticed on the ship channel was about 21.2 knots. I tried getting info out of the Captain on the engines, but he quickly blew off the question and redirected his attention elsewhere.

The itinerary was great (Roatan, Guatemala, Belize, and Cozumel). We were actually 30 minutes early into Roatan, arriving around 2:30! We were about 30 minutes late into Belize, apparently waiting for the ship to be cleared. Also, we tendered in Cozumel, which was unexpected and made renting a car not worthwhile.

We did the following activities in port:

In Roatan, we had a private driver from Victor Bodden Tours. Our driver was Orsey and he was great. We went ziplining at the Jungle Canopy Zipline, had a short visit to the Orphanage, and visited Victor’s monkeys (which were great).

In Guatemala, we went with Gus on his Livingston Humanitarian tour. It was a great tour, with by far the prettiest surroundings. The landscape on the banks of the Rio Dulce is just gorgeous and so untouched. Seeing the Mayan people in their element, carved out canoes and all was surreal. We visited a Mayan School somewhere off Lake Izabel and the children were prepared singing and dancing some native songs in Mayan, Spanish, and even one in English. 2 tables full of supplies were donated by the 50 or so on the excursion, and it was great handing them out to the kids. Don’t hesitate to book with Gus, we thought it was truly a great excursion, one that allowed us to really to experience Guatemala.

In Belize we took our only excursion booked through the ship. We did the Lamanai Ruins and New River Safari, and thought it was a very good tour. The ruins are awesome, and climbing the High Temple was very cool (though scary as heck coming back down)!

Cozumel was our final port, and we had booked the Royal Dolphin Swim with Dolphin Discoveries 9 months prior. It was another great experience for both us and out 2 sons (12 and 15). Highly recommended. We weren’t too fond of Cozumel itself, however, too much begging and hustling.

Overall, I can say that we had a great cruise. Our Cruise Critic Roll Calls were very well attended (50+ to both). We met some great people at the Roll Calls and enjoyed seeing them around the ship and even on excursions with us.

The ship staff was awesome to us. For some reason NCL gave us VIP treatment (maybe for arranging the CC M&G)? We had a something delivered to our cabin from a different officer on the ship every day. Starting with a bottle of wine and a fruit platter on embarkation day from Luciana, the Lattitudes Consultant. We also got Chocolate covered strawberries from the Food & Beverage Director (Frank who was quick to notice we were from Hamburg, NY since he was from Hamburg, Germany), Chocolate tarts, pastry puffs, a cheese platter , and a few other plates I can't recall at the moment. It was something different every afternoon and was completely unexpected! We also received VIP invites for cocktails with the Captain, and VIP tenders for both tender ports. We didn't need them for Belize since we were on a ship excursion, but they came in handy in Cozumel. Between the Meet & Greet’s and the cocktail parties, we met several of the officers on board and they would acknowledge or stop and say high whenever we saw them out and about on the ship.

As for ship entertainment, Ray Carr was the Cruise Director. We had him last April on the Pride of Hawaii and thought he did a good job. We weren’t particularly fond of his Assistant however. We skipped the NCL production shows, since we’d seen them before on the POH, Star and Spirit. Some variety in the shows would sure be nice! We enjoyed Second City, though they were a new cast and weren’t quite in full rhythm yet. They were still funny, and the Instant Messaging Skit was great! Chantz (a 20 year old trumpet playing Sammy Davis) was GREAT. If he’s on your sailing, make sure you go see him! We had some juggler/musician named David something or other as well. We didn’t care for him at all. Fortunately for future Spirit cruisers, ours was his last sailing before returning to Nashville!

We avoided the main dining rooms for all but a couple breakfasts. In general, we’ve not found the main dining rooms on NCL to be up to par, and prefer going to the Specialties for a more predictable meal we know we’ll enjoy. Shogun was by far our favorite specialty restaurant. The Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Pot Stickers, and Chicken Yakitori are all delicious! We also ate in Teppanyaki for a 3rd time on NCL (because our son begged us to go back there), and had our least talented chef to date. I vowed afterwards not to go back on our future cruises (I really didn’t plan to on this one, but our 12yo really wanted to try it one more time). Cagney’s was consistently good, better than our 1st experience on the the Spirit in 2006 actually. Le Bistro again had the best service on the ship (Blue Lagoon by far the worst). The thing we’d love to see is some variety in the menu’s (either daily or from ship to ship). We preferred Le Bistro’s menu from 2006 much more than the current one.

Also for those looking, our kids participated in the Kids clubs, and I brought home not only the Freestyle Daily’s for the week, but also the kids club schedules for each age group. When we get home I’ll scan them to a PDF and make the available to any who are interested. Our 12yo son had a great time in the kids club. Our 15yo teenager wasn’t quite as happy, as the counselor seemed to hate the teens (or so he said). We spoke with the person who runs the kids club at our Meet & Greet, and she told us they rotate from week to week, so hopefully future teens will get a counselor who “gets” teens!

For activities, we did the Margarita tasting yesterday and loved it. It’s worth the $15. I spoke to others who really enjoyed the Beer and Martini tasting as well.

Anyhow, we had a great experience on the ship. And I’m more than happy to answer any questions future Spirit cruisers might have.

Thank you for the nice review. Sorry to hear about your flight. Did you check your reservations while on the cruise?

Yep, we were all checked-in and everything was fine. We were some of the last off the ship, but still arrived at the airport 3 1/2 hours before our scheduled 2:30 flight. They literally cancelled the flight just as we arrived at the airport (got a call just as I was paying the cab driver actually). There were literally no other flights on any airlines (we checked them all). Nothing on most of Monday either.

US Airways explanation was that the flight was canceled due to operational issues. In talking to the Supervisor, I learned the reality was they re-routed the plane and re-assigned the crew to somewhere else in the country to try to make up for flights canceled a couple days earlier due to the weather in the North East.

We weren't happy campers, but were basically hostage and had no other flight options, not even out of Baton Rouge, Houston, or Atlanta. We seriously considered renting a car and driving 20 hours, but just didn't have the energy.

US Airways ended up putting over 60 people up in 30+ rooms at the Hilton across the street, as well as some some low value meal vouchers ($5pp for lunch, $10pp for dinner), of course the meals cost us twice that! In the meantime, both myself and my wife miss a day of work, our dog stays in the kennel another day, our car stays parked at the airport another day, and we eat the cost of tickets to the Sabres game tonight.

I could go on and on about the fiasco at the airport, where they "booked" us on other airlines, only to find out they only gave of 3 of the 8 vouchers we needed. So back to the US Air counter to get things properly printed, then back to American... only to find out that A) they have our 12yo son going to Philly while the rest of us were heading through Chicago. Further, they then told us our seats out of Chicago weren't confirmed and we would be standby. So back it was to the US Air counter for a 3rd time. At which point the US Air counter begged us to wait an hour so they could try to figure out other options. We ended up back and forth at the ticket counter 6 or 7 times over a 4+ hour period before we had had enough and ended up on a 1pm Monday flight through Philly with a 4 hour layover.

Overall, I think US Air really screwed it's New Orleans customers, and they'll be getting a long letter from me tommorrow, assuming that is we actually make it home tonight!

Sorry you were stranded in New Orleans Mike. Nothing worse -- US Air deserves to get blasted! Hubby and I were also on same cruise! Wish I thought to check out forum before leaving. This was our first on NCL (have been on Cunard, Carnival and Celebrity in past).

I loved the flexibility of dining options. Like others above, we were very disapointed in the Raffles buffet. The diningrooms (Windows and Gardens) were however, a welcome suprise. Certainly the portions were tiny in most cases, but we agreed this is the way to taste all we wanted and not leave feeling overstuffed. The service in the diningrooms were great -- no complaints there. We were on deck 11 and LOVED being spoiled by our cabin stewards. Room was tidied up twice daily, cute little towel "creatures" every evening. Stewards always pleasant. Trying to be brief here -- long line to book shore excursions once we arrived. Didn't think to book online before we departed. Found the bartender in The Cafe area (deck 7, atrium) to be a bit surly after requesting our first drinks on board.

We did decide to book shore excursions w/NCL to avoid wasting time. Roatan - we did the afternoon snorkeling trip on the catamaran. It was good though TOO many people in that small area. Weather was choppy/windy so we had to move twice to find the right spot. That ate up alot of time.

Santo Tomas - we did the hike through the forest to the waterfalls! That was great! Nice walk through protected areas, several different waterfalls, nice cool place to swim. This was tour by Gray Line and our tourguide was a young Guatemalan lady who grew up partially in NYC, but was back in Guatemala and proud to show her native country. Good time, though at $70

a bit pricey. Belize - I read the area was not safe to venture into, so again, I booked another shore excursion for snorkeling. This trip was superior to Roatan, as the guides gave detailed instructions for the inexperienced. Again however, the area was saturated with tourists and we were "gathered" into one small area and prohibited from wandering away. The snorkelers kept running into one another. My husband is a bit more independent and one of the guides (in a kayak) kept "tapping" him on the butt w/ an oar to keep him in the area. We saw some fish, and enjoyed all the coral, but it was just so

overcrowded. Cozumel -- another snorkeling trip -- POWER snorkeling this time. We left early (around 0900) and got to the beach well before the crowds. Power snorkeling was awesome and our group was relatively small (about 14) so there was plenty of elbow room. As we were finishing up, 5 boats showed with LOTS of tourists. Glad we had our time alone! Another suggestion while in Cozumel -- try to get to Pancho's Backyard for lunch or at least a margarita! Beware of their margaritas! They're called fishbowls

for a reason! My husband had to finish mine (and I'm not shy when it comes

to Tequila!)

We had a balcony cabin and though it was smaller than those we've had in the past, it seemed to be well-planned and we weren't tripping over our stuff.

Not there much anyway.

Activities on the ship -- we did the wine-tasting given by the Sommelier of

the Spirit -- LOVED it. Also did the beer tasting -- beer was okay, but you didn't learn anything as it was given by the bartender of Henry's Pub. It was

just pure fun. Speaking of Henry's Pub -- we visited there almost every evening for Karaoke -- great! We walked out on the first night show -- the

juggler. We thought he was the opening act, but it went on and on and on...

The Second City Act was okay; the crew put on a show that everyone really enjoyed. Chantz also performed -- he's a local singer/dancer from the New Orleans area. Talented young man! Also, don't miss the "Idol" performance on the last night in Galaxy of the Stars. Plus, they had a "Newlywed Game"

that was a riot!

Also as mentioned above, NCL presented TONS of opportunities to spend your $$$. Photos galore, jewelry sales, gift shop sales, plus as everyone

knows, the drinks can get expensive. Their "special drink" of the day in

the requisite NCL cup is $7.99 and probably holds about 8oz or less.

I didn't have any major complaints about NCL, so we will most likely go again, depending on itinerary and price. Another plus, getting on and off the ship

was simple. They also "tender in" at Belize and Cozumel.

Happy cruising folks! :)

Thank you both for your thorough reviews. Seems not much has changed on the Spirit since our last time on her. We like the Specialty choices as well......and of course, as you noted...... the beer, martini and margarita clinics...which are worth the 15.00 compared to the over-priced drink menus, which keep going up!!:) You both had a very nice itinerary compared to our "just changed" one in April by NCL...sailing to PR, Tortola and Samana. I certainly hope the kid's program has better counselors than what you mentioned......it is a holiday sailing and will be packed with kids, tweens, and teens..looking to have fun!:rolleyes:

Thanks again.......:)

Mike, you aren't missing much- oh, except Brian Campbell's last game as a Sabre:( .

Have you heard that we are expecting 6 inches tomorrow, and then 6-12 on Wednesday- the day we fly to FLL for our cruise that leaves on Thursday??? So when do we decide to hop in the car and drive straight through? And it's not lake effect- it's "generalized snowfall."

Glad you like the Spirit. I've sailed on her three times- including with two sons in an inside cabin last summer- and I always like to hear people who had fun.

Sorry about the air- I feel your pain (in advance)-

I am sailing on the 23rd of march for the first time on NCL. I do suggest to you and any of my friends who are traveling. Always leave the day before if you are flying in. Also, always take the Monday off after the sunday. Cause of possible travel delays. But for me, I live right around the corner on the MS coast. I just don't want to go back on a Monday, yuck!

Well, we made it back LATE last night (near midnight). B ut we got home.

For those interested, I scanned everything into PDF's today. If you're interested in the Dailies, Kids Crew Info and whatnot, please go to this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=723212 and post your contact info.

Regards

Mike, you aren't missing much- oh, except Brian Campbell's last game as a Sabre:( .

Have you heard that we are expecting 6 inches tomorrow, and then 6-12 on Wednesday- the day we fly to FLL for our cruise that leaves on Thursday??? So when do we decide to hop in the car and drive straight through? And it's not lake effect- it's "generalized snowfall."

Glad you like the Spirit. I've sailed on her three times- including with two sons in an inside cabin last summer- and I always like to hear people who had fun.

Sorry about the air- I feel your pain (in advance)-

I've been ready to see Campbell go bye bye for months now. So no big deal there. The team blowing a 3 goal lead bothers me more than his situation. Not sure what to think of the trade they made, but I do think the Sabres shoul dhave done more. Oh well. Medicore is what we are once again!

As fo the Spirit, this was our 2nd time on her. We love her as a ship and would sail her again if the itinerary is good. We're not too fond of the NYC Bahamas itinerary.

BTW, where is all this snow they were forcasting, I'm in Hamburg and the streets are clear (for now at least) LOL.

I've been ready to see Campbell go bye bye for months now. So no big deal there. The team blowing a 3 goal lead bothers me more than his situation. Not sure what to think of the trade they made, but I do think the Sabres shoul dhave done more. Oh well. Medicore is what we are once again!

As fo the Spirit, this was our 2nd time on her. We love her as a ship and would sail her again if the itinerary is good. We're not too fond of the NYC Bahamas itinerary.

BTW, where is all this snow they were forcasting, I'm in Hamburg and the streets are clear (for now at least) LOL.

Oh, I know, they canceled all Buffalo Public and Parochial after school things yesterday- I'm in my car and it's 34 and the streets are clear. Well, thank god I won't have to drive them to the WSRC for an ergathon- it was supposed to be last night but now it will happen while we're gone:) .

Wow, how about that- five trips total on the Spirit and we both live in the same town. That's, what, 200 times walking into Raffles thinking about the Sabres, total???

I felt bad for Campbell during his news conference- crying like an orphan. Nice to see someone who actually wants to be here. My Mom lives next door to Afinogenov and there's another Sabre right around the corner (waterfront), so I see them all the time walking their dogs, just looking like normal young guys who would rather be in Russia.

OK, I am supposedly out of here in a few hours, the kids are all in bed still and I have to get them to school, dog to kennel, half packed, clean the house, bank for 150 singles and whatever else, walk around in circles manically, obsess until I break out in a sweat, drink a gallon of coffee, chain smoke outside so the kids don't see, and then get to the airport 2 hours early so I can inhale the grease from Burger King and read the snooze in three minutes.

If I can get my DH to stop talking about the DeJac case, Frank Clark, Brian Campbell, and buying a motorcycle then I'll be a happy woman.

Well, we made it back LATE last night (near midnight). B ut we got home.

For those interested, I scanned everything into PDF's today. If you're interested in the Dailies, Kids Crew Info and whatnot, please go to this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=723212 and post your contact info.

Regards

Mike, glad you guys made it back. We were thinking about you... somehow it kept us calm during our 6 hour delay, knowing that at least we were getting home that night! Sorry the trip had such a unlucky ending. We really enjoyed ourselves and the ship and I think you did a great job on your review. Just surprised you didnt offer to make name tags for everyone who needed the freestyles, etc. ......LOL:p !

Archived