1:50pm flight from IAH After Disembarkation in Galveston?

LEtue

My mom used to have a saying when we were stuck in traffic after an event - "If we had waited to leave, we would be home by now". The logic being... if you wait you miss the traffic jams and make it home in less time. Now, there are a few flaws in this logic, but it is something for you to be aware of. If you get an early start off the Ecstacy, you are going to hit a lot of traffic between Galveston and Houston. Waiting a bit means less traffic and smoother driving up to the airport. It's a bit of a tricky balancing act in that you don't want to wait too long in case something like an accident or such happens. I would avoid going through downtown on a workday. There's a loop called 610 - take the loop around town to the East (45 to 610 back to 45 North of downtown) and you will avoid most of the traffic. Its about 10 miles further than staying on 45, but avoids most (not all) of the places that can get reallly bad. If you don't mind paying a couple of bucks, the Hardy Toll road is quicker than 45 North of downtown as well (you will cross it before coming back to 45) and this avoids another stretch of potentially slow traffic.

Thanks for the quick responses! The 1:50 flight gets me back to TPA at a much better time so I'm glad it will work.

I will print out the driving instructions too so I can miss the traffic jams ;)

Is a 1:50 departure from IAH cutting it too close after leaving the Ecstasy? It will be a Thursday in July so there could be some traffic issues I don't know about.....

The next flight is 4pm.

Your only hitch I can see is if it is time for a crew rotation?? If they are rotating, then you could be looking at the first off scenario at about 10 AM. Fog shouldn't effect you in July as it has over the past month or so.

We had a 2pm flight from Houston a year ago May 11th. We did miss it.

But we did get fogged in in the harbor. We flew Continental and they were ever so nice about getting us on the next available flight.

My motto after that is "better be safe than sorry".:)

We had a 2pm flight from Houston a year ago May 11th. We did miss it.

But we did get fogged in in the harbor. We flew Continental and they were ever so nice about getting us on the next available flight.

My motto after that is "better be safe than sorry".:)

Hmmm, I would have thought that May was too late in the season for fog. Is this a potential problem year round in Galveston?

I will be flying Continental too so I'm glad to hear they were helpful :)

• 3 weeks later...

What is the airport code for Hobby? I usually fly into IAH but since sister is picking me up and lives in Baytown, I thought I might fly into Hobby this time.

BTW, if I end up cashing my ff miles and using IAH, when does rush hour start in Houston? My cruise lands on Thursday morning and I will have an afternoon flight back to Denver.

Thanks very much!

Jenny

What is the airport code for Hobby? I usually fly into IAH but since sister is picking me up and lives in Baytown, I thought I might fly into Hobby this time.

BTW, if I end up cashing my ff miles and using IAH, when does rush hour start in Houston? My cruise lands on Thursday morning and I will have an afternoon flight back to Denver.

Thanks very much!

Jenny

Jenny, Houston Hobby code is HOU

Rush hour in Houston is going by 4pm....sometimes earlier on a Friday

The customs clearance process in Galveston seems to be taking much longer lately. We returned from the Conquest last Sunday and it took us two hours after our number was called -- we did not get out of the terminal until 11:30 even though we had a relatively low debarkation group number (9). I strongly encourage you to try self-assist debarkation or get priority debarkation based on your flight time, as otherwise you might be cutting it very close.

The customs clearance process in Galveston seems to be taking much longer lately. We returned from the Conquest last Sunday and it took us two hours after our number was called -- we did not get out of the terminal until 11:30 even though we had a relatively low debarkation group number (9). I strongly encourage you to try self-assist debarkation or get priority debarkation based on your flight time, as otherwise you might be cutting it very close.

I have been wondering about the self assist option and I think this is a good time to utilize it :)

Thanks for the reminder!

• 2 months later...

Hi Linda!

Just noticed your post! How are you doing? We still have fond memories of our Med. cruise!!! My son is leaving today on Conquest so I should have some current info about customs when he returns next Sunday. I would do self assist to be sure since Galveston is busier in the summer months! Houston traffic is like NYC traffic during rush hour and any lane closure or accident will cause problems no matter what road you take. Hope you have a great cruise!!

Archived