Would you make the change?

Frankie Sue

IMO, I probably would take the savings unless I could confirm a VA or VB on the stern. Look at the deck plan to make sure there is no disadvantage (for me this includes being next to an elevator or staircase, underneath a busy public area, etc). Otherwise, size and amenities would be the same.

Thanks you guys........... It is indeed very tempting except for the issue raised by Caviargal. 4130 is right next to elevators and stairs..... but there again is the inconvenience worth $500............. I'll talk to my travel agent first but your votes make a very convincing argument.....

Thanks.

Frankie Sue

We prefer VD cabins.:D The verandas are a bit larger and you look right out without obstruction. In VD 4164 or 4166 the added bonuses include a double wide balcony and the smell of fresh baking bread at all hours of the day!! (I think the bakery is below the area, it smells amazing!;) )

I'd take the VD4130. The VD verandahs are 1.5 ft deeper than the VA's, although you are exposed to view when standing at the rail. (See pic) VD4130 is around a double corner from the elevators and stairs, and you will not have a noise problem from them. We were a lot closer to elevators/stairs than that and weren't bothered. However, 4130 IS right over the galley, and that might be a noise source. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=60199&d=1192653555

We booked VF-4042 instead of a VD cabin on the same deck (Upper Promenade) in order to save about $600. Our thoughts are that the cabins are identical with the exception of location and having a solid balcony as opposed to plexiglass. I know 4042 is forward, but...it's not like we're right up at the bow - about 16 cabins in front of ours. Any thoughts, comments or personal experience in this or one of the others in this area? I'm beginning to second guess myself about our choice. We were mid-ship (SY on Upper Veranda) last year and that was lovely - a little bit too much $$$ for our upcoming January cruise due to the length. Oh...all my problems should be as difficult as this one!! Spoiled, spoiled....I should be ashamed! Thanks for your advice...

Thanks for the picture jtl513. That is really very useful........... I am still debating though. The open portion of the balcony and the location just above the galley are two things that I am not really sure of....... But you have all given me plenty of points to consider. So thanks averyone.

Frankie Sue

We prefer VD cabins.:D The verandas are a bit larger and you look right out without obstruction. In VD 4164 or 4166 the added bonuses include a double wide balcony and the smell of fresh baking bread at all hours of the day!! (I think the bakery is below the area, it smells amazing!;) )

Localady (or anyone else who might know),

What are those blank areas around 4164 & 4166? I know there's a staircase, but what about the blank room next to 4164 and across from 4164?

Localady (or anyone else who might know),

What are those blank areas around 4164 & 4166? I know there's a staircase, but what about the blank room next to 4164 and across from 4164?

It's emergency stairs and a storage area. Never had any trouble with noise from those areas !

Thanks!

I've booked 4166 on Eurodam. The cabin numbers are slightly different, so 4166 is like 4164 on Noordam. Hopefully, the situation with the wider bacony will be the same.

I have an idea localady. Why don't you go on her before my cruise in December and report back to us.:D

Thanks for the picture jtl513. That is really very useful........... I am still debating though. The open portion of the balcony and the location just above the galley are two things that I am not really sure of....... But you have all given me plenty of points to consider. So thanks averyone.

Frankie Sue

OK, I'm going to compare apples and oranges again ... We had a cabin directly under the Northern Lights (the disco). I expected loud music and pounding feet all night. I was very pleasantly surprised that, although I could hear a little bit of the music ocassionally, I really didn't notice it that much, nor was it bothersome, at all.

Now, I know that's not the same thing, and I have read that some people have heard some noise from a certain part of the kitchen, but it stands to reason that they have insulated the cabins sufficiently to avoid complaints from the passengers.

As for elevators, I've never heard anyone complain about anything, and the only thing heard might be passengers talking getting off. And the stairs are carpeted and very quiet.

Thanks!

I've booked 4166 on Eurodam. The cabin numbers are slightly different, so 4166 is like 4164 on Noordam. Hopefully, the situation with the wider bacony will be the same.

I have an idea localady. Why don't you go on her before my cruise in December and report back to us.:D

Funny you should say that as we had booked the Eurodam cabin 4166 to New England/Canada this year, but cancelled it. Sorry I can't be of more help!! ;) :D

We were in 4050 (VD) and absolutely loved the extra space on the verandah. I think we could have stolen one of the teak loungers from the promenade deck and it would have fit! I was so tempted but using the little table as a footstool worked just fine.

I wouldn't worry about the elevator noise a bit. The way the elevators are positioned, there really isn't much noise at all.

Jf you were able to save $500 for 2, for choosing cabin VD 4130 (Upper Promenade Deck) on the Noordam instead of a VA forward on Deck Rotterdam, what would you do? What are the advantages of being in a VA instead of a VD.

Thanks for your input.

Frankie Sue

No. We love the VA forwards on the Vista class ships and have one on Noordam in July. And yes, we could save $500.00 or more if we moved. I always believe we will have the best stateroom stewards if we stay on the deck around the PH's and ours last year on the Westerdam was the best we have ever had. If you take the one on the very end you can actually stick your head around the balcony and see where you are going. I have a lot of great photos coming into port.

I also never noticed any rocking or movement as some report if you are not mid ship.

Another advantage of the forward cabin (if you are not a smoker), you will never have to worry about smoke coming towards you from another balcony while you are moving.

Jf you were able to save $500 for 2, for choosing cabin VD 4130 (Upper Promenade Deck) on the Noordam instead of a VA forward on Deck Rotterdam, what would you do? What are the advantages of being in a VA instead of a VD.

Thanks for your input.

Frankie Sue

No. We love the VA forwards on the Vista class ships and have one on Noordam in July. And yes, we could save $500.00 or more if we moved. I always believe we will have the best stateroom stewards if we stay on the deck around the PH's and ours last year on the Westerdam was the best we have ever had. If you take the one on the very end you can actually stick your head around the balcony and see where you are going. I have a lot of great photos coming into port.

I also never noticed any rocking or movement as some report if you are not mid ship.

Another advantage of the forward cabin (if you are not a smoker), you will never have to worry about smoke coming towards you from another balcony while you are moving.

Archived