SDI vs PADI

H20life

I might try to squeeze in certification before my upcoming cruise in April.

A local dive shop is offering SDI certification that would fit my timeline. The class involves online course work, a 3 hr. reveiw class, 9 hrs. in the pool, and 9 hrs OW checkout. This course is being offered in conjuction with the pool where I go for swim practice (I'm on a masters swim team), so it would be convenient. I don't know very much about the difference between SDI and PADI training - Is SDI pretty well respected? Would you recommend one training course over the other?

Thanks!!!

IMO, there is little difference between any of the certification agencies. The quality of your training will depend much more on the individule instructor than the certification agency.

I think the only concrete benifit of going with PADI over another is that they are able to offer online look ups of your C-card in case you forget to bring yours when you travel.

IMO, there is little difference between any of the certification agencies. The quality of your training will depend much more on the individule instructor than the certification agency.

I think the only concrete benifit of going with PADI over another is that they are able to offer online look ups of your C-card in case you forget to bring yours when you travel.

Totally agree with Bruce. If this is the most convienent way to get certified and you feel comfortable with the instructor, go with your plans and happy diving.

Randall

I agree with Randall and Bruce---all certification agencies teach basically the same skills so make sure you are comfortable with your instructor. I am certified through IDEA but I do dive with both PADI and SDI instructors.My understanding is that SDI no longer teaches dive tables.They teach with a computer--which pretty much everyone uses anyway. I still believe that all divers should have a set of dive tables and understand the basics (60feet--60 minutes,etc) just in case of computer failure (gonna happen with a Oceanic 180) or if for some. reason you do not have a computer. If you have any plans to maybe go "pro" later on,PADI is the best known and easiest to find a good job.SDI and TDI are affiliated if your plans might include technical diving down the road.

Bottom line is choose a good instructor and pay attention.Scuba is exciting and can be very safe with the right gear and expereince---without them it can be very unforgiving.

I've been a PADI Divemaster for 15 years and never heard of'em.

The other folks who responded are correct--find an instructor you like and go forward.

SDI Scuba Diving International

TDI Technical Diving International

IDEA International Diving Educator's Association

SDI/TDI are growing in our area. I know alot of their instructors through one of our local shops and they are all good guys and gals--would dive with them anytime and recommend them to any new divers.

All the major certification agencys subscribe to WRSTC, World Recreational Scuba Training Council, this orginisation has set and it's members subscribe to a set of minimum standards. To repeat the folks ahead of me, interiew the instructors, see who you feel comfortible with. Look at the facilities and training equipment then enroll in your class and welcome to the underwater realm.

I've been a PADI Divemaster for 15 years and never heard of'em.

The other folks who responded are correct--find an instructor you like and go forward.

They have only been around since 1999. So you have been a dive master longer then they have been training people. That said, they are also an off shoot of TDI; TDI is the largest Technical Dive Certification Agency.

I might try to squeeze in certification before my upcoming cruise in April.

A local dive shop is offering SDI certification that would fit my timeline. The class involves online course work, a 3 hr. reveiw class, 9 hrs. in the pool, and 9 hrs OW checkout. This course is being offered in conjuction with the pool where I go for swim practice (I'm on a masters swim team), so it would be convenient. I don't know very much about the difference between SDI and PADI training - Is SDI pretty well respected? Would you recommend one training course over the other?

Thanks!!!

Entry level certification programs are (in general) similar with regard to agency standards. The biggest difference in many courses is the instructor. They range from excellent to borderline negligent regardless of agency. I would not concern yourself with agency at this level and instead evaluate your comfort level with the training facility and their staff. Meeting your instructor and have a chance to speak with him/her even if for nothing more than to see if you work well together is not a bad idea.

The Alphabet Soup of Dive Instruction agencies stands for various associations of instructors in a unified curriculum.

There is a history lesson following.

At one time there used to exist a different approach to what was considered critical core cirricula by the various training and ceritification agencies. The various training cirriculums have not always existed, but they evolved as equipment improved and became safer, resulting in the horizons of sport diveing expanding to new and sometimes technical areas of interest. Public access to formal SCUBA training dates back to the public access to Naval Dive Tables in the early fifties. You could by a tank and a simple regulator from Sears, without certification. It was ugly, and people died. In California (LA County) a program was started to bring safe practices to the new sport. (Thanks to Sandy Morgan, et al.)

This was followed immediately there after by the YMCA national program. Both early programs required intensive water survival and swim qualifications, as the equipment we take for granted today (ie, Bouancy Compensation vests, structured neoprene, silicone, mixed gases, computers, low volume masks, dive lights ect) did not exist. Standardization in training really did not exist outside of a given certifying agency. This would often result in a lack of recognition of a given divers certification, especially overseas. Now all programs within the US are standardized thru the initial certification (Open Water Diver), or "C Card" level. It's a good thing. Once you get beyond the slightly technical aspects of training, diving becomes a wonderous (yes even still) and somewhat sensual experience. Your first instructor (no matter what agency) can ruin or illuminate the experience for you. Key will be your ability to feel comfortable with their communication style... select your "guide" to this new world carefully!

Happy Bubbles.

Thanks everyone for your very helpful responses. You have really helped to clarify things.

Are there any questions in particular that you would recommend asking a potential instructor in order to get a sense of whether or not they would be a good fit?

Thanks everyone for your very helpful responses. You have really helped to clarify things.

Are there any questions in particular that you would recommend asking a potential instructor in order to get a sense of whether or not they would be a good fit?

I can think of a few:

Train people often or is this a part time job?

How many people do you think you've trained?

Are there any additional skills you teach besides what's in the certification standard? (like my instructor taught dive boat safety and ettiqute since a lot of people go on to doing dive trips on dive boats).

How many people do you normally teach in a class?

What are some common issues people seem to run into while getting certified?

Can you outline what we'll be doing and in what order?

If I miss a class what do I do (wait to the next certification, work one-on-one with me to catch up, have me come early the next time to catch up)?

How many assistants do you use to help you? and what is the ratio of instructors to students?

Where do you do your confined dives?

Where do you do your open water dives?

What equipment do I need to start? (usually mask fins, snorkel at minimum)

Anyway, that's a few for you. I'm sure other's can add to the list.

Randall

I see you are posting from Maryland. One of the first and finest, most relaxed yet competant instructors I've run across is "semi retired" in western Maryland. He has great experience and patience with the nervous grandma and wild youth. He still teaches intial open water classes at the Cumberland YMCA pool, and is part of an informal very laid back loose group of families known as Western Maryland Divers. Francis "Spotty" Kiser (pronounced Kizer) is his name, look him up. He began SCUBA in the late fifties. Another competant instructor group might be found at the Brass Anchor, Frederick Maryland. For other details, you may contact me off board if necessary via rotorhead173 at yahoo.com

Happy Bubbles!

As to what questions to ask...in this case, truely the only bad question is the one that remains unasked.

Randall has covered many good ones above.

You might also consider:

do you re certify? (a currently hot topic in dive training circles.. I offer no opinion here, pro or con)

do you offer no cost refresher/reviews?

How may I contact you in the evening with a question when I'm studying?

what dive training equip do you provide? what text's, and or self paced online training systems?

where is the nearest recompression chamber? If he/she cant answer, consider that they're likely not heavily envolved in the local dive scene. (FWIW there is a chamber at UM Harborside) and O2 saturation at Johns Hopkins and UM Trauma.

Happy Bubbles!

• 3 years later...
I see you are posting from Maryland. One of the first and finest, most relaxed yet competant instructors I've run across is "semi retired" in western Maryland. He has great experience and patience with the nervous grandma and wild youth. He still teaches intial open water classes at the Cumberland YMCA pool, and is part of an informal very laid back loose group of families known as Western Maryland Divers. Francis "Spotty" Kiser (pronounced Kizer) is his name, look him up. He began SCUBA in the late fifties. Another competant instructor group might be found at the Brass Anchor, Frederick Maryland. For other details, you may contact me off board if necessary via rotorhead173 at yahoo.com

Happy Bubbles!

Hi happybubbles. I just had to register to talk to you. Small world but I know the DM you're referring to. He and a friend of mine just took me a week and a half ago to Mt. Storm for my first dive ever. Loved it! In just one hour he had me at 15ft. Trained me on the equipment, and got me used breathing just a few feet from "shore." When I was ready I took my first swim. When I took my first breaths under water I virtually freaked, but he was calm and patient and made me feel confident enough to do it.

Actually he doesn't teach at the YMCA anymore. And the Y doesn't have a cert program anymore that I'm aware of. Now he instructs at ACM as an SDI instructor. I'm taking his course starting September 6th.

Nice meeting you!

If your in Washington County Maryland, then my wife and I trained with Dave and Mary Stealy of Blue Marble Divers in Hagerstown. He was a YMCA instructor when we trained with him years ago, but now certifies through SDI. Dave will make you feel comfortable and more importantly confident in the water. He's more concerned with making you a good diver and not so much on selling you new gear that you don't need yet. There will be no need to ask Dave or Mary a bunch of questions, they are the real deal and you won't be disappointed.

My son and I were in a 2 for one special ($350.00 for both our certs) SDI Open water class in Feb 2003.

They showed you what a table was, but you learn nothing about using them, in the SDI open water you only use a dive computer as someone has already mentioned. You are limited to 60' depth just like the other agencies, the only problem with this cert as our instructor pointed out if your computer dies, or "locks out" you are done diving for that day, as you cant plan the dive per tables, and dive the plan, you only have a dive computer.

All my work at that time was for me to take a referal with me to Hawaii, and dive with AAA diving's, Alex Mason. I raise live coral as a hoby in my home and I was not going to hawaii on a family vacation without diving, and I didnt want a resort course, no thank you I wanted the real diving.

What a great instructor, and I hit the jack pot, Alex offered to do a DUAL CERTIFICATION, test me on the items required for PADI, along with the check out dives. (BTW I have over 300 dives now, have dove Pacific Northwest, Great Lakes (home) quarries, lakes, gulf of mexico, Keys, Atlantic ocean, pacific ocean, Cayman Islands, Cozumel and HAWAII IS BY FAR THE BEST even better than cozumel!!) SO I started out with Open Water Certifications from both PADI and SDI Alex only charged me a couple of dollars more.

I wonder if this instructor is certified with more than one agency??

I always looked at SDI like an American express or discover card,

and PADI as a Visa or master card

though all the places I have dove ie listed above, no one ever refused my SDI C card

Good luck in your diving adventures and certificatio it is a great sport!!

Archived