Luau help - Germaine's or ???

eurodl

We will be cruising on Island Princess in February 2005. We would really like to see a luau while there but the only island we leave late on is Oahu. I've read a lot of good things about Germaine's. We have a transportation problem though. I called Germaine's and the luau starts at 6:00 pm (no problem), but is over around 9:00 pm. The ship leaves at 11:00 so we should be back by 10:00. Using their transportation, we will not get back until 10:00 - 10:30 (too close for me). They have taxis, but the lady at Germaine's said it would be very expensive ($80.00??). If we rent a car we can leave at 9:00 but still have to return the car and then somehow get to the ship. Anyone out there have any suggestions for transportation and/or alternative luau's? Looks like we may have to skip the luau :(

I just looked at the Island Princess to see the itinerary. One of their excursions is the Polynesian Cultural Center/Luau. Since it's through the ship, they would certainly wait for you. The PCC's luau has gotten many favorable comments. One of the drawbacks is the long day, from about 11 am to 10 pm with travel time, and that sort of rules out any other sightseeing.

I am afraid that sounds right.

I think Paradise Cove might be slightly closer to Honolulu but the same would be true about the group transport.

The good thing about renting a car is that when you return it, you just drive in and leave (because you'd be already paid). You can call ahead for a cab (422-2222) to be ready when you arrive at the rental place and get to the port in about 10 minutes.

The drive from Paradise Cove is shy of 30 minutes. It is over at 9 and you can probably leave a couple of minutes early to avoid any car backup. You would get back with time to spare.

Another option is the ships tour. It will cost a lot more, but you'd be saving the cost of car rental or taxi and you would have not a worry about the time. It would be worth the extra expense.

A luau is a must do....I think you would regret not doing it even though it is campy.

JMO

Thank you for all the suggestions! I was really trying to stay away from the ship's excursion since it was an all day event. We really want to see Pearl Harbor and not sure how much time that will take. I've heard the lines get very long early on. Since we don't dock until 8:00 am, I'm sure the lines will be long by the time we get there. Would we even be back in time to do the PCC luau? I did check out the Paradise Cove luau on their website. They do get out at 9:00pm but not sure how much a taxi would run to get back. At least we wouldn't have to deal with returning a rental.

Paradise Cove luau is near the Pearl Harbor stuff....check into stuff to do around there....go see the USS Missouri....Pearl Harbor and then the luau???

It depends what you mean by near....The Luau is across Pearl Harbor from the Arizona and is between a 20 and 30 minute drive depending on traffic. In terms of the mainland, it is close....in terms of a taxi cab, its not.

You can certainly get to both in one day. The lines for the Arizona are short right now every time I pass them by.

Archived