Van Rental in Italy

:confused: Has anyone ever rented a full-sized (7 pax w/ luggage), automatic transmission van in or around Rome? We are a family of 7 travelling on a cruise based in Civitavecchia and need to rent the van post-cruise for several days travel from Rome to northern Italy. Thus far, I have only found a company called Autoeurope (more like a "broker") that can accommodate such a request but was wondering if there are any others?

If anyone has used Autoeurope I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on them as well.

Thank you.

To keep it short, Autoeurope (or their sister company, Kemwell) are your best bet. They are actually part of a much larger corporation and serve as a "consolidator" for Europcar...which is one of the best car rental companies in Europe. However, having driven thousands of miles in Italy, I would not want to have a large van in many of the small towns and cities. You can expect to pay top dollar since you want an automatic transmission (they sometimes cost twice the price of a manual in Europe). Also keep in mind that when you buy gas you will pay more than $7 a gallon.

Hank

As Hank says, a full-size van isn't going to be able to go into a lot of the small villages/towns. And with the cost of fuel, :eek:

Have you looked at the train? You say a few days from Civitavecchia to Northern Italy. Where? How long? Do you absolutely need to drive yourself? Does the train go where you want to go? I love train travel, I've done Holland, Belgium, & Luxembourg, Vienna to Budapest, it's easy and it's fun.

Have a great trip, no matter what you decide to do.

We rented one for a land-based trip in 2004, with my in-laws, who could not have handled either driving their own car or managing with a train. We drove it mainly in the area south of Rome, including Ischia, Naples and through the area south of the Amalfi Drive, known as the Cilento. We picked the van up in Rome.

We also rented a car in Civitavecchia last spring (just us and our kids-no in laws) and their inventory was really quite limited.

Have a great trip!

Archived