Rolling Clothes

Hotfire

Has anyone ever rolled up their clothes when they packed their suitcase? I've heard it saves space and the clothes will not wrinkle like they do when you fold them. I was told you could even do this with suits and dresses. I'll admit I'm a bit skeptical, but it also sounds like it just might work.

I've heard of folding clothes and putting dry cleaner bags between them. But this rolling thing has me intrigued.

What do you all think?

Hotfire

Has anyone ever rolled up their clothes when they packed their suitcase? I've heard it saves space and the clothes will not wrinkle like they do when you fold them. I was told you could even do this with suits and dresses. I'll admit I'm a bit skeptical, but it also sounds like it just might work.

I've heard of folding clothes and putting dry cleaner bags between them. But this rolling thing has me intrigued.

What do you all think?

Hotfire

I personally have never done it, but I have a great aunt and that is the only way she packed. I've never been brave enough to try it.

I don't roll, I lay flat in the bottom with arms, legs length of skirt hanging out...then put things on top of them and fold arms, legs..length of skirts back into the bag. Our formal clothes didn't have to be pressed on our last cruise!

BTW: when I was younger I did try the roll method. All I got was wrinkles. Could have been me. Maybe I didn't roll them right.

What do you all think?

Hotfire

We always roll all our clothes. I make "logs" by rolling a pair of shorts, a t-shirt, and undies together, so when a person has to shower, he/she just grabs a "log" and is all set. Nothing gets wrinkled.

The only problem is that we are able to fit so much in our suitcases that we constantly get charged by the airline for overweight bags. I bought smaller suitcases so we are going to have to learn how to pack less. :eek:

We have a big garment bag that we use for our formal wear, so I cannot answer that part of the question.

I rolled on the last trip and I was amazed at the space I saved. I had room for everything including shoes and a suit in my bag. My wife would not listen and folded hers. She spent time every day tracking down the iron in the laudry room while mine only needed to be hung in the bathroom while I showered.

I will always pack this way from now on.

I started rolling mine a couple of cruises ago. I still get a few wrinkles....but not many. Rolling also takes up less space.

I like the idea of the "logs". I'm going to try that next time!!!

Usually for a 7 day cruise, I can get away without rolling, but when travelling for long periods of time, I roll. It does take up less space, can't say about the wrinkles because I don't really take clothes that wrinkle. I wouldn't do the log idea the other person suggested because I simply am not that good at planning outfits ahead of time. I usually fold the clothes in half before I roll them because seeing how wide it is if you roll it without folding in half lengthwise just makes me feel fat.

Many years ago (1959) when I joined the Coast Guard, we had to roll clothes for our seabag. We have rolled undies, t-shirts, etc on our cruises, but use a garment bag for the "Formal" clothes. Just shaking out the clothes will remove most wrinkles.:D

I learned a packing method a long time ago on the Net that seems to work well at keeping wrinkles down to a minimum.

You don't fold your clothes and put them in the suit case. Instead, you place only half of each item in the suit case and let the other half lay outside the case. You place the top half of each clothing item in a clockwise (or counter clockwise) direction so that the each garment is sticking out one of the four sides of the suit case. Once you have placed all your garments in the case, you then start folding in the half of each garmet that is outside, into the suitcase... again, in clockwise direction.

It looks like you are creating a pinwheel, so to speak, with your clothes. Once it's all in, you basically have one big solid mass of clothes in the shape of a rectangle.

The theory is, because all the clothes are folded tightly onto one another, the clothes can't move around during transportation. It's the movement of individually folded clothing that is suppose to cause wrinkles the most.

I guess you just need to know when to roll em', know when to fold em' know when to walk away know when to run ...

:D

HAHA GOOD ONE!!! I too have rolled my clothes. The only thing to remember is if you roll them there, you need to roll them coming home too. I don't find a need to "fold or roll" dirty clothes and I paid for it on the way home. I had to carry an extra bag because I didn't know what I did wrong. I guess because I rolled them there I saved room to bring more clothes, but didn't on the way back and had too many clothes....to all there own. HAVE A GGGGGREAT CRUISE!!!!:D

From Rhode Island Roads:

First, button and zip everything. To roll shirts, blouses and jackets, lay the garment front side down on a flat surface. Fold at the shoulders, tuck short sleeves in tight, for long sleeves fold them across the back in an x-like fashion, bring the cuffs down as if you’re going to handcuff someone. Smooth out wrinkles, tuck the bottom in and start rolling tightly toward the top.

For pants, lay the legs crease to crease. Start rolling at the cuffs and work up to the waist, keeping the roll tight. When packing skirts and dresses lay them flat, fold one side in, then the other. Roll upward from the hem. Silk items have less of a chance of wrinkling if placed in a plastic drycleaner bag, folded, rolled and packed in the suitcase last.

To pack underwear and bathing suits put two items together, fold in half, roll and place in the bottom of your suitcase; you don’t care if they get wrinkled. Tuck socks into whatever shoes you’re taking and place these around the inside edges or outside pouches.

Had a Navy friend of mine show me how to roll for a seabag many years ago. It's amazing how few (if any) wrinkles there are when done correctly.

Charlie

From Rhode Island Roads:

First, button and zip everything. To roll shirts, blouses and jackets, lay the garment front side down on a flat surface. Fold at the shoulders, tuck short sleeves in tight, for long sleeves fold them across the back in an x-like fashion, bring the cuffs down as if you’re going to handcuff someone. Smooth out wrinkles, tuck the bottom in and start rolling tightly toward the top.

For pants, lay the legs crease to crease. Start rolling at the cuffs and work up to the waist, keeping the roll tight. When packing skirts and dresses lay them flat, fold one side in, then the other. Roll upward from the hem. Silk items have less of a chance of wrinkling if placed in a plastic drycleaner bag, folded, rolled and packed in the suitcase last.

To pack underwear and bathing suits put two items together, fold in half, roll and place in the bottom of your suitcase; you don’t care if they get wrinkled. Tuck socks into whatever shoes you’re taking and place these around the inside edges or outside pouches.

Had a Navy friend of mine show me how to roll for a seabag many years ago. It's amazing how few (if any) wrinkles there are when done correctly.

Charlie

Nice instructions.

Thanks!;)

My grandmother taught me the rolling method of packing when I was a kid and I've used it ever since. The trick is to roll up the item without any wrinkles in it.

When I was a Girl Guide leader(that's the Canadian equivalent of Girl Scouts) and packing for camp, we put together an outfit for a day (including socks and undies) and put it in an extra large ziplock bag and squeezed out all the air. This kept our clothes from getting damp while we were camping in tents and by putting our dirty clothes back in the bag kept them from "contaminating" others.

i can attest to the dry cleaning bags keeping things wrinkle free. However, I just bought those bags that you pack a lot in, and roll the air out of them and they are sort of vaccum packed and very flat. I used this for my recent trip to Korea. It worked really well. I bought these various sizes at Target and they were on sale. I plan to use them for my upcoming cruise.

You can call me butter, 'cause I'm on the roll!:)

I normally roll several like items together - all my sundresses for example. I lay them all out flat on top of each other. Starting with the top, I roll them into one big log, then tuck the ends up around once I place them in the suitcase. Usually roll big items and stuff undies and bathing suits between rolls and shoes. Don't have a problem with wrinkles, but I will admit I haven't tried it with a suit. If DH brings his suit, it's in a garment bag.

Happy rollin' all!:cool:

I was on my first cruise--a terrible tub of a boat called the Costa Flavia in 1981 with 9 sorority sisters for a graduation celebration. I don't know what I must have bought on the trip, because after only a 4 day cruise I had so many things that they wouldn't fit in my suitcase. I was extremely agitated about packing, and at my wit's end when one of my sorority sisters came to the rescue. Mary was very enthusiastic, took one look at my folded clothes sitting two feet taller than my suitcase and said, "Oh, you have no problem--this will all fit with room to spare." Of course I didn't believe her. She rolled up each of my items nice and tight and showed me how and where to place my shoes and other bulkier items. She was right--everything fit with room to spare! I've been a roller ever since--and packing is easy and fast.

Archived