Another dreaded passport ??

desperatehousewife

Sorry..very...

I know people are soooo sick of seeing the passport issue as the info is readily available out there ...BUT...:o

We have had some "issues" gathering the necessary documents needed for our April 13th cruise.

Believe me, you would rather I spare you the long story.:rolleyes:

We are taking our 3 children with,and we finally have all in order to process. We will be taking everything tomorrow to our Post Office.

My fear is that the timeframe is clearly 4-6 weeks, and we barely have that long.

Should we expedite the passports, which will cost us another $300 + on top of the already almost $500:eek: in regular fees for 2 adults and 3 children?

I feel it is totally worth the protection to have the passports themselves but want to know from those who recently applied what the timeframe was for them.

I tried to do a search, but the search feature was down.

Thank you in advance.:)

I just sent for ours, a renewal for dh and i and a new passport for dd. I think it only took about 3 weeks, however, I wouldn't expedite because you don't have to have them, all you really need is birth certificates.

I think the problem is going to be that they will be sending the birth certificates with the passport applications. Unless the OP has two sets of original documents. My suggestion would be not to expedite wait three weeks to four weeks and if they are not back call and pay to have them expedited.

I think the problem is going to be that they will be sending the birth certificates with the passport applications. Unless the OP has two sets of original documents. My suggestion would be not to expedite wait three weeks to four weeks and if they are not back call and pay to have them expedited.

Exactly....

My husband and I were just saying that.

All of the the original docs will be traveling with the passports.

My husband does have and extra copy but the rest of us do not, and it would be an ordeal for me to get one, goes back to the "long story".

Can you do that?Call mid way and then pay to get them expedited?

Thank you..:)

Exactly....

My husband does have and extra copy but the rest of us do not, and it would be an ordeal for me to get one, goes back to the "long story".

Yes there is a a link on the website that you enter information as your last name, birth date etc. and it gives the status of your passport application. Also there is a number to call and they will give you the option to expedite if you are within a couple of weeks of travel. One other suggestion state that your date of travel on the application as the end of March or the beginning of April. They may process faster if the travel date is close.

Your profile says you are near Chicago. If you can go downtown and apply in person, you can usually have them the next day. Just give them a call and see if you can make an appointment before you waste your time waiting.

Your profile says you are near Chicago. If you can go downtown and apply in person, you can usually have them the next day. Just give them a call and see if you can make an appointment before you waste your time waiting.

How do I find out that info??:eek:

I will do a quick search on google really quick b/c that would be IDEAL!!!!

Just a thought here. If you don't need passports for this cruise.....

Why not use the $$ to purchase 2nd copies of birth certs vs the $$

you spend on expediting the passports.

This way you you can keep a copy with a family member who you are not

traveling with, once you get the 1st copy back.

Ok.. applying person won't work ...that is only available if you are traveling within 14 days, I just talked to them.

Otherwise, you have to do it like every other slap-happy person and get in line at the good'ol post office.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I got all giddy!

I guess I am back to square one...

But knowing I can call mid way is really good to know, at least I have that.

Ok.. applying person won't work ...that is only available if you are traveling within 14 days, I just talked to them.

Otherwise, you have to do it like every other slap-happy person and get in line at the good'ol post office.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I got all giddy!

I guess I am back to square one...

But knowing I can call mid way is really good to know, at least I have that.

Just make sure you put a date two weeks earlier than you are actually traveling. That way you can expedite because the same 14 day rule applies to expediting over the phone. You will still have a two week cushion.

Just a thought here. If you don't need passports for this cruise.....

Why not use the $$ to purchase 2nd copies of birth certs vs the $$

you spend on expediting the passports.

This way you you can keep a copy with a family member who you are not

traveling with, once you get the 1st copy back.

Getting 2nd copies isn't a problem for anyone but me, and they are only $5, five minutes down the road ironically for everyone BUT me.:(

Funny thing is, I am the one who needs the passport probably the most, as I have had some medical "issues" lately and I really don't want to have something weird happen and not have a passport.

( Not that I am thinking negatively, I am trying to be smart;) . I PLAN on staying in one piece!)

My birth certificate was altered when I was little ( legal name change)and has to retrieved quite a distance from me from a court, not vital records. ( Just found this out) So, my only copy is gold right now.:confused:

I am in the process of getting another on regardless just to have,but that doesn't help right now.:eek:

I mailed the app on Feb. 8, from Texas; my check was deposited on the following monday, I think the 13th. I got e-mail notice passport was mailed on the 18th, and passport arrived in the mail today, 25th. This was NOT expidited service. I think you'll get the passports in plenty of time, and certainly if you expidite or send priority mail/overnight.

Good luck.

You can get your birth cert. through the state.. I had a copy of my b.c. which I thought was the orginal. Anyway I contacted the state and they were able to give me a certified copy of my b.c. You can have them over nighted I believe. That way you don't have to worry about the passport not coming in time. It doesn't take long for the state to give you a cert. copy of your b.c., well at least in my case. I think it would be cheaper...

Just make sure you put a date two weeks earlier than you are actually traveling. That way you can expedite because the same 14 day rule applies to expediting over the phone. You will still have a two week cushion.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.....

We already printed the documents on the computer from the passport site.

Should I change the date and reprint them or just use white out?:confused:

If it helps....My parents got their passports back in 11 or 12 days w/o expiditing them. The day after they recieved their passports they got their birth certificates in the mail. It doesn't seam to be clogged up yet. I know our post office has almost a week waiting list for appts. I wish you luck

Can't really understand why at this late of a date you feel compelled to have a passport when it is not required for your cruise. Why stress over will they make it here on time much less the added costs to expedite them ???

Personally with your sailing this close and no real need for the passport, why not wait till you return to apply and not in a rush for their return timeline ?

Hey Heather!

Thought I'd talk to you over here for a change.:D

Do they make you prove this?? If so, don't you have anything that says you leave within 14 days?;)

My birth certificate was altered when I was little ( legal name change)and has to retrieved quite a distance from me from a court, not vital records. ( Just found this out) So, my only copy is gold right now.:confused:

Can't Notary Publics make you a certified copy of your "gold" copy?? I took some paperwork from the U.S. Navy into the VA once and they gave me several copies stamped with "this is a true, certified copy.......blah, blah, blah.....can't remember all the verbage, but I've used the copies when I needed a "certified copy" and never had any problems.

BUT ~ having said all that.....it seems like you will be fine not to expedite.

Good Luck

Cigal!

Hey you!!!

Fancy meeting you over here!

The woman I spoke to said yes... I DID need to prove it!! :eek: I said like what?

She said receipt of travel plans, airline tickets, hotel.... I think she is full of dog poo!!!:p

However, I am feelin' confident now that I don't have as big of a problem as I might have thought I did. ( Thanks everyone!)

As far as the BC...no... I have to get it from the real deal b/c of the way it was done....GOOFY is what it was!:rolleyes:

I re-typed the date of travel page and changed it to the end of March just in case on all our passport docs( ooops, shame...they told me to!!:D )

I am officially DONE worrying!!

They will be sent out tomorrow!

See you "over there"!;) Later girl!

Exactly....

I applied for passports for my children last year about four months before our departure date. We didn't request expedited service because at the time we were told we had plenty of time. On the application it does ask when you plan to travel so I think the passport authority does a good job of fulfilling the applications for those who need them right away. What I also did was call the passport authority as it got closer to the date they said they would complete our applications and very nicely asked if there was anyway they could get those passports to us sooner. The nice lady I spoke to changed or applications to "expedite" without charging us the fee. Not sure if they would do that for everyone but she did it for me. We got our passports with about three weeks left before departure, along with the orignal birth certificates. Without those originals we would've been in trouble had we tried to sail without the passports.

So try calling your passort authority and check with them every now and then. You might have to be put on hold for a long time but at least you'll be able to find out the status of your applications when you do call.

Archived