Virgin Gorda/The Bath.. I have limited time..Can I do it?

Starz723

Hi Cruise vets I need your help!!!

Im dying to see the Baths.. Ill be on Carnival-Legend arriving in Tortola at 7AM,,departing 2PM. Thats not alot of time in port. Carnival does NOT have a shore excursion to the Baths.

QUESTION: Can I do this on my own and get back to the ship in time? Lets say,,leave ship at 8:30AM and be back by 12:30PM.. Can it be done?

I appreciate all responses

Marge
Starz723

The ferry ride is 35 mins each way, and then a 15 min drive each way to the baths, and then 10 walk down hill to baths, 15 min return up hill, posible yes but sound rushed to me.

Im dying to see the Baths.. Ill be on Carnival-Legend arriving in Tortola at 7AM,,departing 2PM. Thats not alot of time in port. Carnival does NOT have a shore excursion to the Baths.

QUESTION: Can I do this on my own and get back to the ship in time? Lets say,,leave ship at 8:30AM and be back by 12:30PM.. Can it be done?

I appreciate all responses

Marge
Starz723[/QUOTE]

The ferry ride is between 35-45 minutes.
Smith's has a ferry that leaves at 8:50AM
Speedy's 9:00AM
My biggest concern for you would be the return ferry.
I believe Speedy's has return ferries at 11:30AM and 12:30 (BUT you MUST confirm these times with them).
The 12:30 ferry would give you a decent amount of time at the Baths BUT if it were delayed (even a little bit) or cancelled you would be unable to get back to your ship on time (Remember you have to be on board 1/2 hour before departure).
The 11:30 would get you back in plenty of time BUT you would have only about 1 hour at the Baths.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;2;1;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  Until NCL SKY

• 2 weeks later...
Could you tell me about the Baths? Thanks

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2003;11;05;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
until the Legend and the Southern Caribbean

[B]tonyrobin .... [/B] Always hope that first-timers to Tortola who enjoy water activities will go to The Baths of Virgin Gorda! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

You might want to read a Report post on this board that has a site for the very best MAP (with history, etc.) of The Baths. [I]Scroll .........[/I]

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=339097554&m=3583004696"](or just click here) Island Sailaway, THE BATHS, etc. Excursion Reports[/url]

We love Tortola/VirginGorda and hope you will enjoy your time there as much as we have always enjoyed ours!

Happy Sailing! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

We just got back from a cruise that included Tortola and this was our first time there. You can easily make it over and back. What we did was get off the ship early and walk over to the marina and catch the 9 AM Speedy's boat over to the Baths. They'll include a taxi right to the Baths with it and I think it was $20 per person. You'll be at the Baths by about 9:50 AM. Walk thru the Baths, hang out on the beach, do some snorkeling and you can catch the taxi back at 12:15 to catch the 12:30 Speedy's boat back to Tortola. We were back on the ship by 1:30. It was a blast!

I suggest you contact Marjorie Smith of Smith's Ferry at [email]magicplace@hotmail.com[/email].
Smith's is one of the two ferry services between Tortola and Virgin Gorda. Marjorie arranged a tour for my wife and I (4/1/2004)that was tailored to our needs, provided pier-to-pier transportation, and was significantly less expensive than the cruise-offered tour.

Hi Caribbeanbound! We didn't rent any, but I did see people renting snorkeling gear right at the Baths. Don't know the cost, but you can rent it right at the beach. They also have lockers there if you want to store your gear there while you swim and snorkle inside the Baths. That's what we did.

Hey, are you from Charlotte, NC? So are we!

• 2 weeks later...
thank you so much for your replies.

Being a first time cruiser..Im so paranoid about getting back to the ship. So if carnival has an excursion, I just might book thru them. Then again, by time that port arrives, I may opt to do it on my own.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
MY VERY FIRST CRUISE EVER!!
On The Legend! E. Carribean
I cant Wait!

Marge
Starz723

• 1 month later...
I just found out that Carnival has a trip over to the Baths..Im going to take that one..I dont want to risk not getting back in time. I heard that if you take an excursion from the ship, and its late, they wait for you...but if you do it on your own and your late, they wont wait..Yikes..dont want that to happen. We dont have a full day. Now on the other hand, Ive rented the Winifred when Im in St Thomas for a full day.

Thanks for you answers..Im leaving in a week.
Ill post my adventures

Archived