Help - Only have 7 weeks left

ginger lea

Hi. Family and I are going on Grandeur 4/19. I am a huge procrastinator and have to feel pressured to do anything about my weight/health. (Not healthy I know). Any advice or tips you can give would be appreciated. I am a "former" Weight Watchers "points" counter - but I have no will power. Also, I am considering joining the local YMCA. Anyone have any inspirational/motivational words of wisdom for me? Thanks. :)

Hello and welcome! :)

How much weight would you like to lose? Weight Watchers is a great program. You might want to try that again. Joining the YMCA would be great also. You'll need to do cardio to lose the fat and weight training to build up your muscle.

I have found that I lose more weight if I do the treadmill for at least an hour 3-4 times a week. On the other days, I do it for about 50 minutes. I workout 6 days a week, normally. I also watch my caloric intake and track everything at http://www.sparkpeople.com. You can also use http://www.fitday.com, which is also good. I try to limit the whites (sugar, processed flour, white bread, white pasta, etc.). I eat whole grains when I can (100% whole wheat).

Drink lots of water and just do the best you can. Even if you only lose 5 lbs., it will be more than you did before. You can really concentrate on getting healthy when you return from your cruise. It will be a lifetime commitment.

Good luck and have a great cruise! :D

Hello and welcome! :)

How much weight would you like to lose? Weight Watchers is a great program. You might want to try that again. Joining the YMCA would be great also. You'll need to do cardio to lose the fat and weight training to build up your muscle.

I have found that I lose more weight if I do the treadmill for at least an hour 3-4 times a week. On the other days, I do it for about 50 minutes. I workout 6 days a week, normally. I also watch my caloric intake and track everything at www.sparkpeople.com. You can also use www.fitday.com, which is also good. I try to limit the whites (sugar, processed flour, white bread, white pasta, etc.). I eat whole grains when I can (100% whole wheat).

Drink lots of water and just do the best you can. Even if you only lose 5 lbs., it will be more than you did before. You can really concentrate on getting healthy when you return from your cruise. It will be a lifetime commitment.

Good luck and have a great cruise! :D

I second ALL of that. Sparkspeople and Fitday are both great ways to keep yourself accountable!! Great advice!!

Thank you for the replies. I am up to 193 (highest I have ever been) - and I am only 5' 2". So.... As you can see, I have a lot to "lose". But I know I have a lot to "gain" in the way of good health - both mental and physical! You are right about drinking lots of water.

Do you recommend weight/strength training in addition to the cardio? Or for the next 7 weeks should I focus on the Cardio and get a good routine established?

Also - what's your take on Diet Sodas - I tend to drink 3-4 daily. I have heard mixed reviews -some say they make you crave carbs/sweets - and I think that's true........

Thank you for the replies. I am up to 193 (highest I have ever been) - and I am only 5' 2". So.... As you can see, I have a lot to "lose". But I know I have a lot to "gain" in the way of good health - both mental and physical! You are right about drinking lots of water.

Do you recommend weight/strength training in addition to the cardio? Or for the next 7 weeks should I focus on the Cardio and get a good routine established?

Also - what's your take on Diet Sodas - I tend to drink 3-4 daily. I have heard mixed reviews -some say they make you crave carbs/sweets - and I think that's true........

You definitely need to do strength training along with cardio. You more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism is. AND, once the fat is reduced, you'll have some nice muscle tone underneath. You can do strength training twice a week and cardio six days a week. If you watch your calories, you'll start losing like crazy. Please do try the Sparkpeople web site I mentioned above. It will help you with the number of calories and the exercise time you need to put in. It is a great resource.

I allow myself ONE diet soda a week. That's it. I drink mostly water, but do have hot tea (decaf) and coffee once a day. I like to mix those single serving Crystal Lite water mixers in some of my water to break up the monotony.

Good luck!

I use to drink tons of diet soda a day and then due to an (unrelated to weight loss) medical condition I had to stop drinking soda. I could not believe that within just a week’s time I did not even miss it…. I would try to give up the soda.

The advice you already received on cardio and weight exercise is perfect. If you do not have access or funds for a gym I would recommend the Denise Austin DVD for exercise, ones that incorporate free weights and resistance bands. These DVDs give you a good half hour work out without a complete butt kicking… Some one who is just starting to exercise needs a program that is do-able and these DVD’s fill that need. You can accomplish a lot in 7 weeks and make a dent in your long term over all goals.

I agree with the other posts. Do both.

I let myself get really bad on the Diet Coke - I was drinking more that you!! When I decided to buckle down and lose these last few pounds, I went back to my water. Most days now I don't even have a DC...and I really don't miss it. I never noticed any cravings, or bad side effects, just that I know water is healthier! You will quickly get used to the water, and it really is much better for you. :)

ginger lea:

I too would love to drop a few pounds. We cruise in 8 weeks. Beachbody.com has a set of dvd's that is called slim in 6. It is a six week plan and works pretty well. I have to warn you though, it is a lot of lunges and squats but it is a great cardio plan. I am fixing to start it tomorrow. Good Luck!

Thanks again for all of the replies and advice. I am definitely going to checkout the websites you have mentioned and start to wean myself off of the Diet Sodas. I also plan to blow the dust off of my Weight Watchers things and start keeping track of my points again. Combining that with a good cardio and strength training routine should definitely help me see results in the next 7 weeks. (I hope :o ).

I never drank diet coke, but do have a loving for regular coke. But I haven't drank it in about 4 weeks. Last year I did stop drinking it for 5 months.

It's just better to stay away from soda's all together. Which I plan to do this year. Like everyone else I don't have any side affects by stoping and I'm fine with out it. Try to cut out sugars and carbs (the bad carbs) pastas, flour and other man made carbs.

It will be hard to do it at 1st but you can do it.. Did you every think about South Beach or Atkins?

Ginger Lea there is another diet I'm doing now that you "may" be interested in. If you want you can email me at Kudos2Fly@Embarqmail.com

Ditto on the diet cokes...switch to the water...I like adding the Crystal Light packets to my water bottles...then you don't feel like you're "just drinking water". Brought them on the last few cruises, too, which kept me down on other sugary drinks that i'm sure i would have gone for more frequently.

I'm a group fitness instructor and I second, third, fourth the suggestions you've been given here...do a combo of both cardio and strength/weights-many people make the mistake of only focusing on the cardio in the beginning, but if you just add the weight training in, too- (a couple times a week and spread them out), you will see results much more quickly!:)

Archived