hotels in san francisco

verypoor

There's not much fun to do near the airport, but if you're flying in the night before and just need a place to sleep and can get a really good price near the airport then that makes sense. Just stay at a place north of the airport -- if you go south of the airport then that's more distance to the city and so your cab fare will be higher.

we,re flying into san francisco for cruise. Is it better to stay in a hotel near the airport then take a cab to port? Which hotels under $100 have anyone used?

Stay IN The City...

There is very little at the airport...lots of hotels and hotel choices, of course...and cheaper than in The City...but...not much for the tourist...

Make up the money differential some other way...

Take BART (There is a Station right in the airport), rather than a cab, from the Airport to The City...You'll save quite a bit of money right there...Then, only use a cab from the BART Station to your hotel--if necessary...

I couldn't quite tell you which hotels MIGHT be under $100...You may have to pay a little more than that--but you've made most of that up by opting for BART over the cab...Hotel rates tend to vary based on time of year, day of week and whether or not there is a convention or event in town...

Go onto TripAdvisor.com and search San Francisco hotels...You should get a variety of hotels and price ranges...Look for hotels in the Fishermans' Wharf area...If not, Nob Hill, the Financial District or Union Square (Some folks think Union Square is a bit seedy, but I've never had a problem staying there)...Even South of Market is no longer considered bad...(One recent visit, I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard South of Market and it was quite nice)...

Even for just one night, it's nicer to be in The City...Go get a nice dinner in the North Beach District (lots of choices), wander around Chinatown or in the Wharf area...Enjoy your one night in San Francisco, then catch a really short cab ride to the pier...

Good luck...

we,re flying into san francisco for cruise. Is it better to stay in a hotel near the airport then take a cab to port? Which hotels under $100 have anyone used?

I'm assuming your cruise line (Celebrity?) is not offering a pre-cruise land package that then would include transfer to the ship in the morning? If so, then I would think that would be your best option.

I work in the City and drive in and out every day. But before our Panama Canal cruise next Oct. we will be staying at the Best Western at Fisherman's wharf the night before...just for the fun of getting a jump start on the cruise! Celebrity was offereing a pre-cruise package, but they were all snapped up before we could get one, so we booked the room on our own. That little delay cost us approx. $30 and we now have to walk to ship, only 4 blocks. We've walked longer than that with our luggage 1) in Venice to get a water taxi from the airport and 2) at LAX.

OK, so we are talking BEST WESTERN here...and it's still $188 a night (AARP, AAA, whatever!). So I would suspect that you will NOT get ANY recommended hotels (in the City) that are at (or under) $100.

Now, having said that, in the past we have stayed at the El Rancho hotel (on El Camino in Millbrae...also a Best Western) but the advantage for us NorCal residents is that they provide parking (for a reduced rate) while you are gone, and a shuttle to and from the airport...which of course does not apply in your case. BUT, they do have an AAA rate of $98 (w/out parking) and it is close to the airport, in you price range, they have a restaurant (not bad) and they are close to BART.

Or you can call me and I will come pick you up at the airport and take you to the ship...just kidding.

Steve

Now, having said that, in the past we have stayed at the El Rancho hotel (on El Camino in Millbrae...also a Best Western) ...an AAA rate of $98 (w/out parking) and it is close to the airport, in you price range...

Okay, believe it or not, I've stayed ONCE at the El Rancho as well...about 30 years ago...

Rather than the atmosphere of staying in The City, you are staying on a suburban strip commercial street far from anything but some Denny's and McDonald's and a chain supermarket or two, a 7-11, three gas stations and a donut shop...maybe a dry cleaners, a neighborhood florist and a Pet Food warehouse...Uh-uh, not for me...For what? To save 90 bucks?

I've stayed in a nice Marriott in San Bruno as well...but, the only advantage to doing that is that WE have a car...and WE know where we are and where we are going...

For an out-of-the area tourist, it's purgatory (or, is it "limbo"? Never sure about these theological terms)...In any event, you are wasting time in a cosmic waiting room...

How much are you spending on the entire vacation? Don't get hung up on a few dollars...You may spend a little more than the $99...You may find something nice for a little less than the $188...Whatever it is, it's worth it...

I am assuming you are getting into SF for at least dinner...Your dinner in San Bruno or Milbrae or wherever on El Camino will be at Denny's or Lyon's (Don't know it? It's Denny's with Red vinyl booths instead of Orange vinyl)...Your dinner in San Francisco, no matter which eatery in North Beach you stumble into, will be an experience to remember...

You are not wandering down El Camino at night (Not that you can't, just "why?")...But, you can stroll off dinner on a number of interesting streets in The City...

Trust me...allow your vacation to be one night longer...not just a night of anxiety...

BTW, that couple in the next room at the El Rancho are LOUD!!!

Calberry, when you pick them up - bring them over to my house! I've got a spare bedroom!

Yes, I am kidding too.

Although I live in this fine city, I find perfectly ridiculous reasons to stay in hotels here.

I totally agree with the previous advice - you are going to be staying in one of the world's most wonderful cities - or, you could be somewhat close to one of the world's most wonderful cities.

Pick a hotel that includes breakfast and/or an afternoon wine tasting - then you are saving all sorts of money! I prefer our boutique hotels - Joie de Vivre or Kimpton both have awesome properties and often last minute specials.

You could always do priceline.

Try the Carlton Hotel - amazing location. I just tried on Travelocity and it is $81.75 for a night in April (wasn't sure when you are coming.) I've stayed there - it is quaint. It is owned by Joie de Vivre - so that means afternoon wine receptions, free wifi, etc.

Do make a point to stop by the Ferry Building and enjoy a fabulous lunch! Awesome wine shop there for your selections before you board. If you are there on a Saturday - then you will be wowed by the Farmer's Market right in front.

Don't rent a car - the parking is more than a taxi!

Calberry, with your driver service and my hotel service - we could fund our next cruise!

I've stayed at the Royal Pacific Motor http://www.royalpacificmotorinn.com/ many a times. Its on broadway right in the middle of ChinaTown. Rooms about $100 before taxes. Easy walk down to Columbus street to Fishermans wharf and lots of restaurants nearby (plus City Lights Bookstore for you 60's folks).

We usually use it for skiing, fly into SF, do tourist a few days and then drive to Tahoe for skiing. Extra benefit they have is FREE parking if you want to rent a car a few days before the cruise.

Clean rooms but nothing special. Want breakfast, go get some dim sum.

Because the City will Steal your Heart!

The reason I live 25 miles south of SF now is because I rode the cable car one night in 1969...down the hill to Fisherman's Wharf, hanging out on the outside right front side. It took me 3 attempts within a 13 year period before I was finally able to "make it" (sort of, and working 3 jobs at times! :eek: ) as a permanent resident.

So, if you don't want to eventually wind up being a Californian, for God's sake, stay at the airport. (Don't say I didn't warn you.)

Susan

The reason I live 25 miles south of SF now is because I rode the cable car one night in 1969...down the hill to Fisherman's Wharf, hanging out on the outside right front side. It took me 3 attempts within a 13 year period before I was finally able to "make it" (sort of, and working 3 jobs at times! :eek: ) as a permanent resident.

So, if you don't want to eventually wind up being a Californian, for God's sake, stay at the airport. (Don't say I didn't warn you.)

Susan

Delightful post!

Fair warning, indeed. We landed here in 1992 - we planned for a 1 year experiment. You could say it has exceeded our expectations.

Maybe to be completely safe, OP should fly into Oak. :) Apologies to my East Bay pals . . .

I came out to visit for a week and a half back in 1993. Six months later I moved here :)

Here's a tip: use OpenTable.com to explore San Francisco restaurants and make a dinner reservation for your night in town! Many of the places are pricey, but there are some "$$" (as opposed to "$$$$") places too!

Here's a suggestion: Go to biddingfortravel.com and become thoroughly familiar with placing your own bid on Priceline. BFT is a good tutorial, but there's a learning curve, so you need to invest some time in climbing it. When we stay in SF (several times a year), I use PL and bid at the four-star level in the Union Square East (USE) area. We have always gotten the Hyatt Regency for $70 to $80 per night/double. The Hyatt is just across the street from the Ferry Building Farmer's Market which is a fabulous foodie destination. The muni bus that will take you to the pier stops in front of the Ferry Building, and it's less than a 10-minute ride to the pier. Another plus is that you can take BART from the airport almost to the front door of the Hyatt: Get off at the Embarcadero stop and ride the escalator to the street level and you're at the hotel.

Please try to stay in San Francisco; there are wonderful alternatives within the city that, for visitors who really want to see the city, will outweight most decisions to stay outside of the city limits.

Here's a post from a hotel thread from the West Coast port of call forum.

Please read the thread, but especially the following post, which mentions the

icon2.gifRedwood Inn, which currently on Tripadvisor says rooms can be $82 a night,

---and is walking distance to the bay and Fisherman's Wharf:

icon2.gifhttp://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=13362507#post13362507

RSS

Susan

I hear ya! Both my folks separately visited San Francisco years ago (Dad was very very poor and Mom was just a student), fell in love with the city, then met and fell in love with each other here, and decided to stay here for the rest of their lives.

They also vowed to have all of their children born in the city.

(I'm their oldest, born in SF, in Saint Francis Memorial Hospital on Nob Hill, on the feast day of Saint Francis. I still live here near the top of another hill [Twin Peaks] by the geographical center of town, overlooking half the city, the bay, and beyond!)

RSS

Although I live here (East Bay, so watch it!;) ) I also did Priceline, using the 'Union Square East' choice and also got the Hyatt on the waterfront, with a wonderful view of the Bay Bridge, on the club level, so it included continental breakfast, for $99.00. Great location for a.) exploring the city, and b.) an inexpensive cab ride to the pier.

And the Ferry Building is one of my favorite places! Just had oysters from Hog Island the other day!

Critical: Make sure you choose "Four Star" and "Union Square East"

Andrew

Thanks to all for information here. I am exploring ideas for a post cruise stay.

So....if I can get the Hyatt: it is a short taxi ride from the pier, and we can take BART to the airport? We do travel light, and will each have a medium size wheelie + a carry on.

Is this doable on BART?

Also: if we do not do a post cruise visit, how far is the pier from the airport? Would we be able to make an 11:00 am flight?

We second Bruin Steve's recommendation to take the BART . We opted to fly into Oakland (loved the airport) and took the BART to the Embarcadero. It was a beautiful day and our luggage had wheels, so we actually walked to our hotel in Fisherman's Wharf. Otherwise, short cab ride.

Anyway, we got the Raddisson Fisherman's Wharf for something like $70 through Priceline. Great location. We suggest visiting Alcatraz. You can get tickets ahead of time on the internet-go on the first trip of the morning, and you will have plenty of time to get to the ship. Another interesting attraction at Fisherman's Wharf is the Maritime Museum (or similar name). We were just a few blocks walk from the ship pier.

Great city-have fun.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

You can take BART from the Embarcadero in San Francisco to either SFO airport or to OAK airport. If you can mange your own baggage, its totally doable.

It's about 45 minutes by BART (or 20-25 minutes by road) to SFO. If you don't have the time but do have the money, then take a cab ($45) or call SuperShuttle (I think you can reserve in advance via their web site). SuperShuttle is a lot less expensive than a cab.

SuperShuttle is a lot less expensive than a cab.
Unless there are a few of you...then it's a wash.:)

Grace, don't think 11:00 is impossible, but that's if everything goes well, no delays, etc. With traffic along the Embarcadero, you might want to try for 12:00 or later.

Andrew

Grace, don't think 11:00 is impossible, but that's if everything goes well, no delays, etc.

If one of you traveling together on the same reservation are a Premier-or-higher-level frequent flyer with United, and you fly out of SFO on United, that will help. United has a separate lobby for First Class and Premiere-and-higher to check in, and a separate security line for First Class and Premiere-and-higher. This can save a lot of time.

I don't know if United does this but many airlines expidite passengers who check in online. You could do that on the ship.

Yes, at SFO United has a large area to the left of regular passenger check-in where people who checked in online can drop bags. I find it to be surprisingly empty much of the time.

Archived