Jade -Jan 09

Rahi

CubeChick, Perhaps you didn't see the the part that I went in to NCL's website and saw that they have already changed my itinerary there, without notifying me of any changes. I have been through this fun already once in the last month with the Spirit, I was a little more understanding about that because it was caused by an engine issue, but even then they were extremely slow to respond, and I felt they could have done better by many of the cruisers affected, when it was evident something had to done, so please pardon me if I seem a little annoyed and frustrated by this whole thing, but I have invested a lot of time and money in this trip. It is your choice to wait, but I have learned it is best to be prepared and proactive with NCL and they do not have a history of generous compensation in these sorts of situations. We will see how they handle it, when they finally decide to notify us. My cruise is 9 months from now, and I'd sure like to know what my options are so I can plan accordingly.

Yes, I read your post thoroughly. My point is that if all of these posts hadn't been flying, it would be unlikely that you would've have checked your itinerary and therefore would not have seen any changes. (My itinerary currently shows me sailing from NYC to Rome in a day...a neat trick.)

Again, until an official announcement is made, I'll reserve judgement on how NCL is handling this situation. I don't think it's fair to criticize them at this point.

I too am directly effected by all of this and am also anxious to see how it plays out, but refuse to go off the deep end over something that I have no control over.

I'm glad you're not going over the deep end. I don't think that is necessary. You have a caribbean itinerary and it should be much easier for you to be able to make a change to something else.

But this Transatlantic change is going to put a lot of my money at risk unless NCL really steps up to the plate in a big way, and based on their past actions, I doubt that will happen. So I am awaiting news like you. I will make the best of this situation and most likely I will end up in Europe sometime this year, cruise or not. But trying to recoup the money I have already spent is going to be the trick.

I tried booking on a different ship and get the same error message, maybe their website is down, did you try a different cruise site?

NCL's website is up and running at the moment. I did a search for a Caribbean cruise leaving from NYC in Jan-Feb 2009 and got results only for the Gem. When I tried specifying the Jade, it said "sorry, nothing matches that search" and pointed me back to the Gem. There's no big mystery here. The Jade NYC sailings are gone. When I look at my Feb 2009 booking, I see what an earlier poster saw: depart from NYC, next day first port is Barcelona. Yeah right.

I have to disagree that we wouldn't have a clue this was happening if it weren't for the report of someone talking to an NCL rep at that Boston travel show. I get so obsessed with cruising when I have one booked (and even when I don't!) that I frequently look at the site, at my booking, at fares to see if they've moved, at excursions, etc. As a first time NCL cruiser who wanted to sail out of NYC, I have to say it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that NCL doesn't inform its booked pax before these questions arise from the website info, regardless of CC rumors.

Emailed my PCC about the European ports on my Caribbean itinerary. She emailed me back:

I called over to the Miami office and was advised that NCL is aware of the issue. We have not been informed yet as to if the ports are going to be changed or not. I was advised though that once we know what the changes may be, an NCL rep will be contacting you to advise and discuss your options.

Thats great,

"NCL is aware of the issue. We have not been informed yet as to if the ports are going to be changed or not. I was advised though that once we know what the changes may be, an NCL rep will be contacting you to advise and discuss your options."

Pardon my sick sense of humor, but please allow me to translate:

NCL is now aware, that you and all of the other passengers who belong to these online message boards are aware, that we are about to cancel your cruise. We know exacly what we plan to do. We've known for a while now, and we just like hanging on to your money as long as we can, because it makes our bank balance looks better this way, and we make lots of interest off of it while we sit on it.

An NCL Rep will be contacting you when and if, they feel like it later. See ya later sucker!

I just called NCL as I am booked on the Jade 2/15/09 sailing and was thinking of changing my cabin assignment. I was unable to access the sailing online so I called NCL. The agent knew nothing and was puzzled as to why he was also unable to access the sailing. He put me on hold, came back a few minutes later and told me that management was currently in a meeting discussing itinerary changes for the Jade and that I should try back in a few days. Hmmmm.....................

I went ahead and bailed on my 12/28 booking on the Jade. :( I switched to the Jewel in January instead (a cheaper and shorter cruise so a $ loss for NCL from me). I want to be able to plan well since we would have driven to NYC and now need to start looking for airfare for other cruises. I hope you all can resolve this well!

I went ahead and bailed on my 12/28 booking on the Jade. :( I switched to the Jewel in January instead (a cheaper and shorter cruise so a $ loss for NCL from me). I want to be able to plan well since we would have driven to NYC and now need to start looking for airfare for other cruises. I hope you all can resolve this well!

You pulled the trigger a little too quickly. NCL offering $50 OBC to switch to another sailing or $100 if you switched to Gem.

You pulled the trigger a little too quickly. NCL offering $50 OBC to switch to another sailing or $100 if you switched to Gem.

That doesn't work for me 10 days on the Jade is nothing like the 7 day itinerary on the Gem. If it was the 10 day Gem i would consider it. Sorry I NEED TO VENT! - NCL strikes again at least for me NO CONSIDERATION! Two times in 3 weeks - it must be a record.

Hi,

If indeed there is a problem, is the 11/30/08 Trans (Barcelona - New York) affected. I have just tried to put details in again for this trip with the TA I have used and where the pricing would automatically show up, it is now asking for your details to be submitted. Very strange. Flights to Barcelona booked along with return flight from NY to the UK. Oh dear!

That doesn't work for me 10 days on the Jade is nothing like the 7 day itinerary on the Gem. If it was the 10 day Gem i would consider it. Sorry I NEED TO VENT! - NCL strikes again at least for me NO CONSIDERATION! Two times in 3 weeks - it must be a record.

You've been through a lot.:eek:

The longer Gem runs are available for switching as far as I know.

If the dates work for you, maybe that'll work.:confused:

I went to my reservation today and it says it leaves out of NY western Caribbean but the ports are listed as Barcelona, Rome ect. Spent quite a while with a very nice guy from NCL and no one there has heard of any changes until I called to ask about this change. I go very nervous when I tried to check the price on this cruise and it wasn't there. I also agree that if NCL isn't going to bring the Jade back they should have let people know. Especially if you have a reservation. I noticed that the Gem is now leaving on the 4th . I don't' recall both ships leaving the same day before. I tried to change my reservation to the Gem and the cat that I want for that cruise is booked.

The Guy from NCL seemed to think it may be a computer error. Which I don't believe it it's still that way tomorrow I will be changing to an other ship. I don't want to take any chances that I can't get what I want. IF anyone else hears anything PLEASE pass it on.

The Gem DOES have a a 10-day itinerary next winter. The ports are similar to the Jade -- not identical:St. Thomas; Antigua; Barbados; St. Maarten; Tortola. No Samana, No St. Kitts. Since I haven't sailed the Gem before, the switch doesn't bother me too much.

The Gem DOES have a a 10-day itinerary next winter. The ports are similar to the Jade -- not identical:St. Thomas; Antigua; Barbados; St. Maarten; Tortola. No Samana, No St. Kitts. Since I haven't sailed the Gem before, the switch doesn't bother me too much.

Unfortunately, since familyof4cruising books all her cruises during SCHOOL holidays (as do I) the January/February GEM 10-day cruises wouldn't work. There are no more than 7 day sailings during the school breaks. :(

Archived