Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Hey everybody!

I am also a Vancouverite (though technically I live in the 'burbs) and I am part of the US Direct program at YVR. In addition to all my incredibly helpful copatriots, I would gladly answer any questions about Vancouver or the USDirect program that anyone of you may have.

Hope you all enjoy your stay in Vancouver!

*EDIT* sorry I just realized I did a double post :( Edited by USDirectYVR

[SIZE=4]The information that I received from the Port of Vancouver when I spoke with them earlier this month is that it would be up and running late this month. However different cruise lines and ships would be entering the program at various times. I would confirm with your cruiseline when your ship will begin participating.[/SIZE] Edited by Putterdude

[quote name='"jmps"']I saw on another thread that the US Direct from the Canada Place to the airport won't open until July. Is this true? [/quote]

Putterdude is correct in that barring any unforeseen circumstances, the program should be operational by the end of the month. However, like Putterdude said, you should confirm with your cruiseline when your ship will begin participating.

Enjoy your stay in Vancouver! Edited by USDirectYVR

I am staying at the Sheraton Wall Center. I asume that it is to far to walk to Stanley Park, what is the best way to get there via the buses. Also, since there is no longer a shuttle thru the park, how can I get from one end of the park to the other besides walking?
Judy

We will be in Vancouver for the day prior to our cruise. We would like to go to Granville Island. We have a rental car but would prefer not to drive over, but take the ferry. Are there parking lots next to the ferry docks that we can park in for a few hours? Thanks in advance for your help.

Which hotel will you be staying at? You may be within walking distance to the water taxi over to Granville Island.

The park from Sheraton is about 1.5 miles and a fairly easy walk if you can handle the distance. We have our fingers crossed that the shuttle may be re-introduced but at this moment in time it is a "no-go". I will post a link below for Stanley Park so that you can check back re the shuttle. At 1000 acres you are pobably not going to walk around it but there is a horse drawn carriage tour that you may want to consider. I am also attaching a link to our transit system...you will find that there are lots of buses on Burrard St. so with a transfer at Pender St. to a #19 Bus it will be quite easy to get to the park.

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/

http://www.stanleyparktours.com/

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire

We will be in Vancouver for the day prior to our cruise. We would like to go to Granville Island. We have a rental car but would prefer not to drive over, but take the ferry. Are there parking lots next to the ferry docks that we can park in for a few hours? Thanks in advance for your help.

I had kind of left this one for the Urbantrekker but to my knowledge False Creek Ferries do not have any lots of their own but you will find pay parking farily close to any of their stops. Left to me I would drive to Granville Island, park my car then do the False Creek tour with them from the island.

I had kind of left this one for the Urbantrekker but to my knowledge False Creek Ferries do not have any lots of their own but you will find pay parking farily close to any of their stops. Left to me I would drive to Granville Island, park my car then do the False Creek tour with them from the island.

We will be staying at the Blue Horizon. Have read other posts that there wasn't that much parking on the island, so thought maybe it would have been better to park and then take the ferry across. Can't wait for our short time in Vancouver, last day of work tomorrow then 3 days to get ready to leave! Thanks for your replys. Have enjoyed reading this thread, so many good suggestions.

There is fair amount of parking on GI, you may have to circle the island on weekends a few time but I have never had a problem getting a space...patience is the watchword.;) You certainly could walk to their Aquatic Centre location from the Blue Horizon if you wished...it would take about 20 mins.

Have a great cruise and a wonderful time in our city.:)

It's about a mile from your hotel to the Park- while the Park is large - over 1000 acres - it is larger than Central Park in NYC - most of the attractions are on the more developed east side of the Park which is also the closest to the downtown core - it is a 6 mile or 10KM walk around the Park on the seawall - the #19 Stanley Park Bus will take you into the Park - you catch it on Pender Street.

I see that PD is also online and answering this one so this is the end of this post.

Cheers

Dennis

Urban Trekker and Putterdude, thanks for all of your help. One last question, is it worthwhile to walk the whole seawall around Stanley Park? And if so, where can I get a bus from the English Bay side back to the entrance or to the hotel?

Judy

If it is a nice day it is a lovely walk on the seawall and the scenery changes with almost every step. However as Ut has pointed out most of the developed attractions are at the entrance and east end of the park, these would include things like the aquarium, rose garden, totem poles, 9 oclock gun, Brockton Point..... If you decide to walk the wall then at Denman and Davie you would catch a #6-Downtown bus to Burrard which will but you within a couple of blocks of your hotel.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire

Hi: we will be in town on Saturday, July 25 and will be attending church on West Georgia Street near Urban Fare and the Shangri-La hotel, service goes until about 8:30--9 pm (time of sunset). We are also interested in seeing the Celebration of Light fireworks which I believe are over English Bay. We are staying at the Westin Bayshore.

Is this do-able?

What is the best way to see the fireworks since we are cutting our time so close?

Is there a high place that we can go to watch without battling the crowds?

Does anyone know when they start the show?

I know that we are trying to fit too many things in, but "so much Vancouver, so little time..."

The fireworks don't begin until about 10 pm so yes it is doable after church. However you will be battling crowds with all of the good viewing places taken hours before you get there. Maybe Ut will have some secrets though.:)

"If it is a nice day it is a lovely walk on the seawall and the scenery changes with almost every step"

I biked around the seawall today and it was beautiful - there were four ships in port today by the Infinity was only making a courtesy stop and left shortly after noon - unfortunately I was on the other side of the park and missed her going under the bridge. I did take a few photos today which I will upload later today to my blog.

I have been having connection problems with Telus the last week and it has been driving me crazy so today I phoned their help # and talked to someone in Manila who ran a number of tests and did some reconfiguring and it seems to be working a lot more smoothly now.

PD - if the women have the course to themselves today when do the men have a day for men only

Cheers

Dennis

I have been having connection problems with Telus the last week and it has been driving me crazy so today I phoned their help # and talked to someone in Manila who ran a number of tests and did some reconfiguring and it seems to be working a lot more smoothly now.

PD - if the women have the course to themselves today when do the men have a day for men only

Cheers

Dennis

I also had some Telus problems last night and again this morning but all seems to be ok right now.

This is an annual tournament the ladies host. Ordinarily Tuesday morning and Thursday mid afternoon the ladies have the course and the senior men have the course Wednesday morning and then mid afternoon is men's night.

"I also had some Telus problems last night and again this morning but all seems to be ok right now"

That is what there pre-recorded message was suggesting but my problem has been ongoing for some time - not the first time that I have had to phone 310-TECH for assistance.

Will just have to see how it works out - I could go to another ISP - who use fiber optics to deliver high speed service and no it won't be Shaw.

Cheers

Dennis

My mom (72) and I will be coming to Vancouver in early August. We will be on a cruise/tour in Alaska that ends in Vancouver. We decided to stay for one night to get a glimpse of the city. We are looking for recommendations for hotels that are in a safe area, and are reasonable. We also wonder whether we would be better off staying in downtown Vancouver, or near the airport. Our flight does not leave until 5 the next night. Also, any tips on things to do and see in Vancouver would be greatly appreciated. What is the weather like in early Aug? Thanks for your help.

puyerdue, the know all and see all, will sugested you go toe priceline and big agreessivly low and you will be pleasnty surpirsed.You will not regret spendng a day in Vancouver. You can take the hop on hop off trolley and see the whole city then have a nicer dinner. We are doing two days pre cruise in VAncouver and many of the things we hae decided to do were because the foks who live in the city and also post here gave a lot of great ideas. We are looking forward to our Vancouver day as much as the rest of the cruise.

The airport is some 30/35 mins from downtown so I would recommend staying downtown. All of the major hotels are in a safe area and the list is pretty long. Even I as a resident of a community about an hour from Vancouver together with a large number of CCs have had a great deal of biding for rooms on Priceline.com, once into the biding screen you want to bid for 3.5*+ in the Downtown-Vancouver area. We have been getting reports of rooms in 4* hotels being had for under $100. I got a room 10 days ago at one of the Marriotts for $75. So I would suggest starting biding at $65.

puyerdue, the know all and see all, will sugested you go toe priceline and big agreessivly low and you will be pleasnty surpirsed.You will not regret spendng a day in Vancouver. You can take the hop on hop off trolley and see the whole city then have a nicer dinner. We are doing two days pre cruise in VAncouver and many of the things we hae decided to do were because the foks who live in the city and also post here gave a lot of great ideas. We are looking forward to our Vancouver day as much as the rest of the cruise.

I know nothing just ask my DW or even Ut. :D

But I do agree the HOHO's are a great way to see a big part of the city in a short time. The tickets you purchase are good for 2 days and give you the opportunity to get off at the sights you are most interested in. Here are links to them...for what it is worth, I kind of prefer the Trolley one because of the live narration.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

Got to get back in the yard and garden, Krogerlady will be sailing by soon and I don't want her to see anything out of place.;)

The weather in the early part of August is usually the driest and warmest part of our summer - highs in the mid 70's + - a gentle afternoon breeze and usually not a lot of humidity.

Just read that someone got the Cascadia Hotel and Suites for under $100.00US a night which is a good price for downtown Vancouver.

Cheers

Dennis