Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I see no one has recommended the Dockside Restaurant on Granville Island? Is it not very good?? :eek: We were planning on dinner here since I was able to get 3 entertainment coupons. I hope maybe it was just an oversight???

We are also staying at the Renaissance with Marriott points, glad to here it is a 3.5+ star, PD. I sure hope we can get a room with a glimpse of the harbor.

I have eaten at the Dockside Restaurant over the years and found it to be very good. Good luck on your room at the Renaissance...for Priceline's $75 or your points it is exellent value...if you were paying the rack rate of upwards of $279 pn I might might have a bit of a pause. I would phone them and ask for a view room...if you don't ask, you don't get.:)

choozin' cruzin'

Dockside is the restaurant in the Granville Island Hotel that PD mentioned. :)

Here's a link: http://www.docksidebrewing.com/docksidemenus.html

Ok, that's a big DUH from me. :rolleyes: :o The Dockside just seemed like it had a nice variety on their menu, and there are a few of us that really like our beer :D.

Thanks PD for the reassurance on both. I will call ahead of time and request a room with a view. ;)

Here's a link to some reviews on the Dockside restaurant and pub:

http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=162

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis - Not too promissing are they? :( Even if we are getting $24 off of 3 (out of 6) of our meals, maybe we should go somewhere else? Though I do value PD's experience.

I Know that this question has probably been answered... maybe even many times, but I don't have time to read through 77 pages of messages :)

My Fiance and I are going for our Honeymoon on a Pacific Coastal Cruise leaving from Vancouver September 20th, 2009. We would love to spend a couple of days in Vancouver but we can't because we have added on a few extra days before the cruise in Portland to visit family. We will be flying into Vancouver and landing around 8pm.

Basically, we need a nice, clean, and safe place to stay for the night before we board the ship the next morning. We are having a hard time deciding where to stay. Should we stay somewhere by the airport because of free shuttle service from airport to hotel and it seems like some hotels near airport are cheaper.

Or

stay in the downtown area? My only concern is it seems like the hotels within walking distance to Canada Place are expensive. Like I said, unfortunately we will only be staying one night in Vancouver so we will not be able to tour the city. Where do you recommend staying? Are there shuttle services from the airport to any hotels in Downtown vancouver near the cruise port? Help!!

Thanks Dennis - Not too promissing are they? :( Even if we are getting $24 off of 3 (out of 6) of our meals' date=' maybe we should go somewhere else? Though I do value PD's experience.[/quote']

Trust me there is no pride of authorship here; the last thing that I would want to happen is for you to have a bad meal and be angry with me. However, sometimes when someone posts a review they have a real mad on. Very few people ever take the time to write a good review after they have had a good meal or had a good time. Unfortunately in the restaurant business you are only as good as the last meal you served....that's no excuse but that is the reality of the business.

I Know that this question has probably been answered... maybe even many times, but I don't have time to read through 77 pages of messages :)

My Fiance and I are going for our Honeymoon on a Pacific Coastal Cruise leaving from Vancouver September 20th, 2009. We would love to spend a couple of days in Vancouver but we can't because we have added on a few extra days before the cruise in Portland to visit family. We will be flying into Vancouver and landing around 8pm.

Basically, we need a nice, clean, and safe place to stay for the night before we board the ship the next morning. We are having a hard time deciding where to stay. Should we stay somewhere by the airport because of free shuttle service from airport to hotel and it seems like some hotels near airport are cheaper.

Or

stay in the downtown area? My only concern is it seems like the hotels within walking distance to Canada Place are expensive. Like I said, unfortunately we will only be staying one night in Vancouver so we will not be able to tour the city. Where do you recommend staying? Are there shuttle services from the airport to any hotels in Downtown vancouver near the cruise port? Help!!

What you won't read 77 pages of postings....shame.:rolleyes:

Downtown Vancouver hotel prices are expensive and that is particularly true during the Alaska Cruise Season. However the good new is that the market this years is soft for the obvious reasons and now after year after year of growth the hotel market is reported of 10% and some might suspect less. As a result there have been some great prices reported by posters who have been using Hotwire and Priceline. I am speaking of 3.5* to 4* rooms being had for $100 and less. On Priceline you go to the biding section and bid 3.5* or better and start your biding at $65. As the market should be even cooler in September I think you may be pleasantly surprised with what you come up with and all of these hotels will be within 6 blocks or so of Canada Place.

Putterdude,

Thanks! Took your advice and won the Pan Pacific for 90.00 a night.

Arriving Aug. 25th for 3 nights. Radiance of the Seas on Aug. 28th.

Appreciate your help.

Wow, to my knowledge that is a bell-ringer for the Pan Pacific. At that rate I should of had you grab one for us.:D

My husband is a scotch drinker, any ideas for a nice quite place

for a cocktail?

Hey DDSWife, you are on the same sailing as I am!!! If you want to say hello, we do have a roll call though not very active. We'd love to have you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=752237&page=30

My dh is a big scotch drinker too.;) Personally speaking, YECH! lol

Congrats on the Pan Pacific...that is a GREAT deal.

Left to me I would go to a bar in the Pan Pacific or the Waterfront Hotel across the street and that way I wouldn't have to stumble very far back to my room.:D But seriously, you are probably not going to do any better than those two for a nice drink of Scotch.

Trust me there is no pride of authorship here; the last thing that I would want to happen is for you to have a bad meal and be angry with me. However, sometimes when someone posts a review they have a real mad on. Very few people ever take the time to write a good review after they have had a good meal or had a good time. Unfortunately in the restaurant business you are only as good as the last meal you served....that's no excuse but that is the reality of the business.

Don't worry PD, I won't hold you responsible!! I totally agree with everything you say here.

Thanks so much for all the info on restaurants on Granville island--i will check with the family and see what they want to do i am now leaning toward the Keg. Do you guys all think the family would prefer Boathouse or Steamworks to the Keg? (mom is 80 and fiance is 55!!)

we leave in a little more than 3 weeks, but saw some bad reviews on zuiderdam recently. i hope they straighten it all out before we go.

thanks again,

Mary Lynn

Thanks so much for all the info on restaurants on Granville island--i will check with the family and see what they want to do i am now leaning toward the Keg. Do you guys all think the family would prefer Boathouse or Steamworks to the Keg? (mom is 80 and fiance is 55!!)

we leave in a little more than 3 weeks, but saw some bad reviews on zuiderdam recently. i hope they straighten it all out before we go.

thanks again,

Mary Lynn

Not knowing the like and dislikes of your family that is a tough call. But I think an 85 yr old may perfer the Boathouse over the rest because of the view out over English Bay. The Keg is a popular priced steak house and I might choose that second. Steamworks while very good...maybe just a tad noisy for and 85 year old.

Not knowing the like and dislikes of your family that is a tough call. But I think an 85 yr old may perfer the Boathouse over the rest because of the view out over English Bay. The Keg is a popular priced steak house and I might choose that second. Steamworks while very good...maybe just a tad noisy for and 85 year old.

PD

Thanks for this info. I think she would like Boathouse best also so we will ask her for a preference. Also, she is only 80, not 85;). She would want me to say that!!

ML

We're staying at the Fairmont Waterfront for one night pre-cruise. Can you recommend some restaurants (seafood/steak?) within walking distance?

There is a very good restaurant across the street in the Pan Pacific called the 5 Sails. About 100 paces to the east is the AquaRiva and if you would like to walk west along the seawalk there is an upscale marine pub called Carderos. I will attach links for your convenience:

http://www.fivesails.ca/

http://www.aquariva.com/

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

PD

OMG!!!! These places look great! Now you have made my previously simple decision much harder! I will need to show these links to the family and see what they want to do. I fear i will be spoiling them...

Once again, thanks so much for your expert guidance,

ML

PS: If you are willing and available, we would be pleased to buy you a drink (or 2) in vancouver on Friday evening/night June 19. see my email below.

ML

no-whiners@msn.com

Thanks for your very kind offer but I live about 1.5 hr out of Vancouver so I will tell you what, an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate Bridge look off the starboard side and wave to me....you may just see me waving back and a drink in the other hand. Have a great cruise and a wonderful time in our city.:)