Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Please help

We will stay at the end of our Sydney-Vancouver cruise 3 days in Vancouver. I found a excursion by train called "sea to sky climb" from Vancouver to Whistler.

Now the question: we will stay in Vancouver from May 2.-to 5. Is it a good idea to do this excursion, or would you say the weather is not good enough:confused: The tour is a little expensive:cool: and we want to know if its worth.

We are greatful for any help

Thanks

This thread is amazing... tons of useful info. We will be in Vancouver in late June/early July and plan on staying downtown 2 nights each, pre & post cruise.

I've already done some research but I was hoping some locals could help fill in the gaps....

We arrive late Friday night (1 am), so will likely be taking a taxi to the Hampton Inn Downtown. Just to confirm, we can use credit cards for the fare, correct?

Saturday, we plan on exploring Robson St & Yaletown. I know there are a ton of restaurants in both areas. I was thinking a steakhouse (maybe Keg?), since we will be having a ton of seafood during the rest of the trip. Any others restaurants you would especially recommend (doesn't have to be steakhouse)?

Sunday-Sunday will be on the cruise.

Sunday 7/1, we disembark. Not sure where we are staying right now, but possibly at the Four Seasons. I can see on the map it isn't *that* far from Canada Place, but is it walkable with luggage? 2 people, with 1 suitcase + 1 bag each.

Plans are to go to Granville Island in the afternoon, but also realize that it is Canada Day. Will that effect any of the shops/restaurants on Granville Island?

Monday- Gastown & Chinatown. Any recommendations for lunch and/or dinner in either of these neighborhoods?

Tuesday- Stanley Park. We will probably do the hop-on/hop-off or the carriage ride to see the park. Any opinions as to which is the way to go?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Please help

We will stay at the end of our Sydney-Vancouver cruise 3 days in Vancouver. I found a excursion by train called "sea to sky climb" from Vancouver to Whistler.

Now the question: we will stay in Vancouver from May 2.-to 5. Is it a good idea to do this excursion, or would you say the weather is not good enough:confused: The tour is a little expensive:cool: and we want to know if its worth.

We are greatful for any help

Thanks

It is a wonderful trip and yes it is expensive. The weather in early May can be a bit iffy so if the weather is going to impact your perspective re the excursion then maybe you shouldn't make the investment. As an alternative, Whistler is only a 2 hr drive from Vancouver so you may care to just rent a car for a day and make it a day trip.

This thread is amazing... tons of useful info. We will be in Vancouver in late June/early July and plan on staying downtown 2 nights each, pre & post cruise.

I've already done some research but I was hoping some locals could help fill in the gaps....

We arrive late Friday night (1 am), so will likely be taking a taxi to the Hampton Inn Downtown. Just to confirm, we can use credit cards for the fare, correct? Yes you can...no problem

Saturday, we plan on exploring Robson St & Yaletown. I know there are a ton of restaurants in both areas. I was thinking a steakhouse (maybe Keg?), since we will be having a ton of seafood during the rest of the trip. Any others restaurants you would especially recommend (doesn't have to be steakhouse)? The Keg is a good choice, you may care to consider Joe Fortes, which a seafood, steak and chops.

Sunday-Sunday will be on the cruise.

Sunday 7/1, we disembark. Not sure where we are staying right now, but possibly at the Four Seasons. I can see on the map it isn't *that* far from Canada Place, but is it walkable with luggage? 2 people, with 1 suitcase + 1 bag each. Yes, it walkable, about 6 blocks slightly up hill...less than a $10 cab fare if you want.

Plans are to go to Granville Island in the afternoon, but also realize that it is Canada Day. Will that effect any of the shops/restaurants on Granville Island? No, they will be open and doing a land office business.

Monday- Gastown & Chinatown. Any recommendations for lunch and/or dinner in either of these neighborhoods? Gastown...Water Street Cafe, Chinatown ..... Floata or Hons Wun-Tun House.

Tuesday- Stanley Park. We will probably do the hop-on/hop-off or the carriage ride to see the park. Any opinions as to which is the way to go? Either or, I am sure that you would be happy either one... a HOHO will provide stops in the city as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

:):):)

There is also likely to be fireworks on July 1 - last couple of years near Canada Place - also a small parade and festival around Canada Place and the convention center - also a possibility of the Olympic cauldron being lit for the day - there will definately be special events on at Granville Island on July 1 and it likely will be very busy.

Enjoy your visit - Four Seasons would be a good choice for a hotel as it is central to everything and part of the Pacific Center and Vancouver Center malls with shops galore.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

We arrive late Friday night (1 am), so will likely be taking a taxi to the Hampton Inn Downtown. Just to confirm, we can use credit cards for the fare, correct?

YES.

In Yaledown, Gotham; http://www.gothamsteakhouse.com/ much better than the Keg.

Sunday 7/1, we disembark. Not sure where we are staying right now, but possibly at the Four Seasons. I can see on the map it isn't *that* far from Canada Place, but is it walkable with luggage? 2 people, with 1 suitcase + 1 bag each.
Not far, and slightly uphill.

Plans are to go to Granville Island in the afternoon, but also realize that it is Canada Day. Will that effect any of the shops/restaurants on Granville Island?
No most things should be open, but buses etc will be operating on Sunday schedule.

Monday- Gastown & Chinatown. Any recommendations for lunch and/or dinner in either of these neighborhoods?

Gastown; Steamworks brew-pub. Chinatown; Kam Gok Yuen; on E.Pender. The latter is REAL Chinese, cheap and cheerful.

Tuesday- Stanley Park. We will probably do the hop-on/hop-off or the carriage ride to see the park. Any opinions as to which is the way to go?

Take the #19 bus to the Park and explore on your own, as everyone will have different things that they want to stop and explore

Hi Vickie! Thanks for offering advice! We're on a rt Seattle Alaskan cruise next summer and are going to end our cruise one night early, leaving the ship in Victoria. We only have two full touring days before we bus to Seattle and fly home. We've never been to Victoria so since we're getting off there we thought we'd stay there the three nights, we're not fans of changing hotels. I'm reading about the amount of time it takes to get from Victoria to Vancouver will it even be feasible to tour Victoria on the first full day and then to and Fro into Vancouver on day two? In Vancouver, since there's not much time, we plan to do a basic city tour along with the suspension bridge. Would it be a better idea to stay the first night in Victoria then move to a Vancouver hotel? Does it really take that long? What do you feel is the best way to travel between the two?

Thanks in advance!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.231889,-80.259620

Hi Vickie! Thanks for offering advice! We're on a rt Seattle Alaskan cruise next summer and are going to end our cruise one night early, leaving the ship in Victoria. We only have two full touring days before we bus to Seattle and fly home. We've never been to Victoria so since we're getting off there we thought we'd stay there the three nights, we're not fans of changing hotels. I'm reading about the amount of time it takes to get from Victoria to Vancouver will it even be feasible to tour Victoria on the first full day and then to and Fro into Vancouver on day two? In Vancouver, since there's not much time, we plan to do a basic city tour along with the suspension bridge. Would it be a better idea to stay the first night in Victoria then move to a Vancouver hotel? Does it really take that long? What do you feel is the best way to travel between the two?

Thanks in advance!

That would be pretty ambitious. The ferry ride itself is an hour and a half each way, and they rarely run right on schedule. Never mind the fact the neither ferry terminal are downtown, they are both out in outlying areas (Swartz bay and Tsawwassen). To get from Tsawwassen to the suspension bridge will take a good hour or more depending on traffic. So you are already up to over 5 hours in travel time, not actually doing anything!

A better option if you are so inclined would be to fly. There are a couple air services that go downtown to downtown for reasonable prices and are much quicker. Or of course moving to a hotel in Vancouver is also an option.

That would be pretty ambitious. The ferry ride itself is an hour and a half each way, and they rarely run right on schedule. Never mind the fact the neither ferry terminal are downtown, they are both out in outlying areas (Swartz bay and Tsawwassen). To get from Tsawwassen to the suspension bridge will take a good hour or more depending on traffic. So you are already up to over 5 hours in travel time, not actually doing anything!

A better option if you are so inclined would be to fly. There are a couple air services that go downtown to downtown for reasonable prices and are much quicker. Or of course moving to a hotel in Vancouver is also an option.

Thanks for the info, I guess I was beginning to figure that out and you just confirmed it! We'll switch to Vancouver the last two nights. I love Vancouver so that will be great, I just was trying to avoid changing hotels, but it souns like the best option. Thanks again!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.231897,-80.259608

• 5 weeks later...

Hi y'all!

I just wanted to run some things by you since you have been so much help in planning our stay in Vancouver..

I have made a backup reservation at the Hampton Inn in case our plans to obtain a hotel thru Priceline fall thru. It says it is about 3 1/2- 4 min. away from the train station so we will be able to get there easily.

We are planning to use the HOHO to see Vancouver. It says it is a 2 day pass. Are there any 1 day passes or is the one ticket the only one.

Is this the HOHO you are recommending?

http://www.vancouvertours.net/?event=offer.detail&offerId=5238 or is it this one?

http://www.vancouvertours.net/?event=offer.detail&offerId=5244&startDate=11/01/2011&endDate=11/30/2011

Thanks so much for all your help with our trip!

Edited by waf125

By train station, I am guessing you mean Pacific Central Station where Amtrak comes in. That being the case you are about 5 min away by cab and about the same by SkyTain which you can catch across Main St. from the train station and get off at Stadium Station and walk the couple of blocks to the hotel. Your cab fare will be about $10 and the SkyTrain fare $2.50 pp CDN funds only.

As for HOHOs, the one I am most inclined to recommend is the Vancouver Trolley as the narration is live. The narration on the one you are seeing is canned.

www.vancouvertrolley.com/

By train station, I am guessing you mean Pacific Central Station where Amtrak comes in. That being the case you are about 5 min away by cab and about the same by SkyTain which you can catch across Main St. from the train station and get off at Stadium Station and walk the couple of blocks to the hotel. Your cab fare will be about $10 and the SkyTrain fare $2.50 pp CDN funds only.

As for HOHOs, the one I am most inclined to recommend is the Vancouver Trolley as the narration is live. The narration on the one you are seeing is canned.

www.vancouvertrolley.com/

Yes, I did mean the Amtrak station. Thanks for the costs of the transportation.

You are awesome, thank you!! :D

This is exactly what I wanted. :D

Edited by waf125

Hi y'all!

I just wanted to run some things by you since you have been so much help in planning our stay in Vancouver..

I have made a backup reservation at the Hampton Inn in case our plans to obtain a hotel thru Priceline fall thru. It says it is about 3 1/2- 4 min. away from the train station so we will be able to get there easily.

We are planning to use the HOHO to see Vancouver. It says it is a 2 day pass. Are there any 1 day passes or is the one ticket the only one.

Is this the HOHO you are recommending?

http://www.vancouvertours.net/?event=offer.detail&offerId=5238 or is it this one?

http://www.vancouvertours.net/?event=offer.detail&offerId=5244&startDate=11/01/2011&endDate=11/30/2011

Thanks so much for all your help with our trip!

I would recommend just getting a local transat one day pass. For less money you can see a lot more (including things like grouse mountain, QE Park etc etc), whereas the HoHos just stay in the downtown core. In fact if you're coming from Pacific Station, you can get one across the street at the Skytrain station and even use it to get to your hotel (one stop, off at stadium, and walk two blocks up Beatty street).

I would recommend just getting a local transat one day pass. For less money you can see a lot more (including things like grouse mountain, QE Park etc etc), whereas the HoHos just stay in the downtown core. In fact if you're coming from Pacific Station, you can get one across the street at the Skytrain station and even use it to get to your hotel (one stop, off at stadium, and walk two blocks up Beatty street).

Not sure I am understanding what you mean by "a local transat one day pass"??

We actually will be disembarking from Radiance of the Seas on May 4 and staying at the Hampton Inn at Robson then taking the Amtrak to SEA on May 5 in the am....

Thanks!

Not sure I am understanding what you mean by "a local transat one day pass"??

We actually will be disembarking from Radiance of the Seas on May 4 and staying at the Hampton Inn at Robson then taking the Amtrak to SEA on May 5 in the am....

Thanks!

I meant to say TRANSIT, just fat fingered it. The local bus/seabus/skytrain system is a great unified system, and for $9/day you can get just about anywhere. On transit you can see everywhere that the HoHo will take you, but for 1/2 the price, and much more frequently. Unlike the HoHo; you can also use it to leave the downtown core, and visit things like Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon, QE Park, the UBC Endowment lands etc etc.

Details here: http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx

I note with interest that come February this thread will be four years running and has had some 3,200 post....wow. We will be heading out to San Diego in the morning and are busy packing for our holiday cruise....so I would like to take this opportunity to all who have posted on this thread this past year much peace and joy for Christmas.

I meant to say TRANSIT, just fat fingered it. The local bus/seabus/skytrain system is a great unified system, and for $9/day you can get just about anywhere. On transit you can see everywhere that the HoHo will take you, but for 1/2 the price, and much more frequently. Unlike the HoHo; you can also use it to leave the downtown core, and visit things like Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon, QE Park, the UBC Endowment lands etc etc.

Details here: http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx

Oh, gotcha! :o

I will run both suggestions by my group, thank you for all your help! :)

we will stay @ Sheraton wall Centre May 2-3 2012 pre cruise for ALASKA.

we love Vancouver and this will be our second time but this time we would love to go to Victoria all day on May 3. How do we get there?

thank you so much

if you haven't booked your air yet, consider flying open jaw into YYJ/Victoria and back out of YVR/Vancouver to start with. If it's too late for that, here are your options for getting to Victoria

Air: QK/Air Canada Express or 8P/Pacific Coastal fly a lot of flights from YVR/Vancouver to YYJ/Victoria

Air: QX/Alaska Air-Horizon fly SEA-YYJ; OO/Skywest (United Connection) also fly SFO-YYJ

Air: from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria Harbour Air and Helijet have services

Boat: Pacific Coach Lines operate a combine coach-ferry-coach service from downtown Vancouver (at Pacific Station) to downtown Victoria

Boat: taking local buses; downtown Vancouver to Bridgeport Station on Canada Line Skytrain; transfer to #620 bus to Tsawwassen, walk on ferry at Tsw; take #70 bus from Swartz Bay to Victoria.

The air services are the fastest, but expensive; plus you need (for the airport services) need to get out and back to the airport (YYJ airport is 20km N of town, YVR is 15km south of Vancouver)

The coach works well if you're looking for easy, but takes some time (4h15). Using the local bus system is by far the cheapest, and you're on the same boat as the coach anyway.

The one thing you really don't want to do is rent a car and drive on. It's expensive, and the waits for the ferry with a car can be 2-3 hours in the summer (whereas as a passenger you're on the next boat). If you want a car on the VIctoria side, rent it on that side.

Any more questions let me know, as I lived in Victoria for 30 years and traveled back and forth a lot.

@scotbee

no i havent book air tickets yet:) . so you suggest to fly to yyj then fly back to yvr?

thank you so much again

Merry Christmas everyone:)

you don't say where you're coming from but booking a ticket

JFK-YYJ and then return YVR-JFK is what I would recommend. This is called an open jaw ticket

we will stay @ Sheraton wall Centre May 2-3 2012 pre cruise for ALASKA.

we love Vancouver and this will be our second time but this time we would love to go to Victoria all day on May 3. How do we get there?

thank you so much

The open jaw route is probably the best. The ferry there and back for a day trip can make for a long day otherwise. If you don't mind sitting on a charter bus for most of the day, this might be an option... the ferry is nice and scenic, but I guess if you're cruising, you'll get lots of this anyway.

If money is no object, you could try the float plane or helijet from downtown to downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

First let me thank you in advance of my questions. I have read many pages in this post and it has helped emmensly.

We are arriving in Vancouver on tuesday may 29 with 4 adults, one handicapped, and 3 children 13, 11, & 10.

After reading a few of the past post, we have decided Butchard Gardens is not possible for us in the time we have with my Mom in a wheelchair. We really don't even know what other touristy stuff there is to do.... any suggestions? We have to go to the airport twice on thrusday to pick up the last 3 members of our traveling party. We leave on the Celebrity Millennium on Friday.

My questions is... do we need to rent a van in Vancouver?

How handicap accessible is the city?

Are the cruise ports near the airport?

What area should I look for a hotel? We need 2 rooms for 2 days and 3 rooms for 1 day.

If we rent a car, how do we get to the ports on Friday?

I'm happy to private message my number or get yours to make a call to you if it is easier.

Any question you can answer will be great and I will be very grateful!!

Edited by minjoe_bri