Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

:D Hello Vicki......We are doiong a pre and post stay at the Best western in downtown...we don't want Mcdonalds or any other fast food places...we would like a nice sit down place for DD14, myself and Dh...we like Pasta, Steak and Sea Food....can you offer any suggestions. Do we need to make reservations?

Angela

The Coast Plaza Hotel package if available at $175.00 is a good deal if you are driving. The value of the parking for a 7 day cruise is worth $126 and throw in the food voucher and transfer, your room is cost is just about free. The hotel is good but is at Denman and Comox Sts. in the West End of Vancouver and while a vibrant neighbourhood, certainly is not downtown but is close to Stanley park and English Bay. There are lots of restaurants on Denman including the Boathouse at Denman and Beach Ave.

I've been looking at the Coast Plaza as a possible place to stay (don't sail until May 09 -- but checking out places to get a feel for what's around). I'm looking for a nice (reasonable) place for a 2-night pre-cruise in the Stanley Park / English Bay area as that's where I believe I will be doing most of my touring / walking around. I've seen that the Sylvia and the Westin Bayshore are also in the area. Are there any others that I should maybe look at? Do any others offer cruise package-type deals that you know of? Area staff to walk around early evening (say between 7 and 9 if wanted to go to a restaurant for dinner)?

Boathouse looks like a great place for late lunch -- will definitely put it on my list of possibles!

I've been looking at the Coast Plaza as a possible place to stay (don't sail until May 09 -- but checking out places to get a feel for what's around). I'm looking for a nice (reasonable) place for a 2-night pre-cruise in the Stanley Park / English Bay area as that's where I believe I will be doing most of my touring / walking around. I've seen that the Sylvia and the Westin Bayshore are also in the area. Are there any others that I should maybe look at? Do any others offer cruise package-type deals that you know of? Area staff to walk around early evening (say between 7 and 9 if wanted to go to a restaurant for dinner)?

Boathouse looks like a great place for late lunch -- will definitely put it on my list of possibles!

In what we call the West End there is also the Times Square Suites and the Best Western Sands on Davie St. There is also the Buchan Hotel but it is what I suspect was a rooming house or converted apartment building and does not have parking or A/C not that should be a huge problem in May. As for curise packages, sorry you will have to do your on research on that. If you can catch a promo on the Bayshore you wont regret that and the Silva is just a great old, vine covered, family owned and run, character hotel in a great location on English Bay.

www.timessquaresuites.com

www.bestwesternsandshotelvancouver.com/

http://www.buchanhotel.com/b_hotel.htm

:D Hello Vicki......We are doiong a pre and post stay at the Best western in downtown...we don't want Mcdonalds or any other fast food places...we would like a nice sit down place for DD14, myself and Dh...we like Pasta, Steak and Sea Food....can you offer any suggestions. Do we need to make reservations?

Angela

Hi Angela, there are tons of places to eat in all different ranges of prices. Many have been stated on this thread so I would recommend reading back thru a bunch.

Off the top of my head for a good family type restaurant a 14 year would like.

Spaghetti Factory in Gastown

Earls on Robson

White Spot

Keg Caesars on Dunsmuir

But I know many many more have been written about here on the thread... none of the above need reservations, but you may need to wait a bit if arrive during a busy time.

I agree the Westin Bayshore is very nice, we've stayed there a couple of times for a weekend in town. Lots of places to walk to from there. And their beds are like sleeping on a cloud.

Yes do check their website as they often have promotional rates/packages.

Boathouse is a nice place to eat, great seafood, but you can also get other stuff as well.

Vicki-Thanks...Spaghetti Factory sounds great..dfo we need to make reservations? we will be eating plenty of Sea Food on the Cruise so some Italian sounds great...

I actually use to work at the Spaghetti Factory in the mid 80s while attending college.

Reservations are not required, but there could be a wait if you arrive on weekend at prime dinner times. But it usually goes fairly quickly. Very big place, and there is usually something on the menu for everyone.

It isn't fancy, but good for a family and reasonably priced too.

Here is a link to their site.

http://www.oldspaghettifactory.ca/index.html

Thanks in advance Putterdude and all the locals, you are so generous to offer your time and expertise. I have scanned through this entire thread and didn't find the exact info I need.

We are flying into Victoria three days before our cruise and renting a car to explore Vancouver Island. We will be staying in Campbell River. My question is in regards to the day we cross over to the mainland and join our cruise. I have made reservations for the Departure Bay (Namaimo) to Horseshoe Bay (Vancouver) ferry for the 8:30 AM & 10:40 AM departures, I wasn't sure what time would be best. We will drive to Canada Place, drop off the rental car at the Pan Pacific and join our cruise.

Have I chosen the correct ferry route? Should we take the earlier ferry in order to do some sight seeing on the mainland? It's early but worth it if there are some must see attractions before we cruise. Any suggestions would be appreciated on things we can see and do. I have read about suspension bridges and other things but not sure if they are nearby. Our ship sails at 5:30 PM and we will want to be there in the early afternoon to explore Canada Place and surrounding area. Plus I get nervous if I am not within sight of my ship fairly early, don't want it sailing without me!:eek:

Thanks again so much for your assistance! :D

Yes you have chosen the correct route and I would recommend the earlier sailing - it is 1 hr and 40 minutes across and another 30 - 45 minutes to get into the city if there is no traffic jam and the Lions Gate bridge isn't back up too much - the bridge is 3 laned - one lane is counter flowed every 15 minutes or so except during rush hour when it will be two laned going with the flow.

Here's another possibility - when you come off the ferry take the first exit and head downhill to Marine Drive - this is the very scenic route to the Lions Gate Bridge - you get to see our spectacular skyline and the new Shangri La tower - all 62 storeys of it looming over the downtown core - A closer view of Stanley Park is also possible - this will add about 10 to 15 minutes to your drive - while you could head for the Suspension Bridge - it's only about 15 minutes extra to get there you won't really have much time to enjoy it.

Another scenario would be to take Park Drive off of the Lions Gate Bridge causeway and drive around the Park and when you get to the Lost Lagoon turnoff take it and return to Georgia Street and then head for Canada Place - it you still have some time left you could walk a couple of blocks and take in Gastown or head uptown to Pacific Center for any last minute shopping needs.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

"What is the distance from the Ballentyne pier to National Car rental on

Georgia St? Walkable with luggage?

As the crow flies it is only a couple of kms but it is not walkable as it is in the industrial part of the port and the walk is through the hell hole we call the downtown eastside.

Check with national and see if they have a shuttle from their office to Ballantyne

Cheers

Dennis

Yes you have chosen the correct route and I would recommend the earlier sailing - it is 1 hr and 40 minutes across and another 30 - 45 minutes to get into the city if there is no traffic jam and the Lions Gate bridge isn't back up too much - the bridge is 3 laned - one lane is counter flowed every 15 minutes or so except during rush hour when it will be two laned going with the flow.

Here's another possibility - when you come off the ferry take the first exit and head downhill to Marine Drive - this is the very scenic route to the Lions Gate Bridge - you get to see our spectacular skyline and the new Shangri La tower - all 62 storeys of it looming over the downtown core - A closer view of Stanley Park is also possible - this will add about 10 to 15 minutes to your drive - while you could head for the Suspension Bridge - it's only about 15 minutes extra to get there you won't really have much time to enjoy it.

Another scenario would be to take Park Drive off of the Lions Gate Bridge causeway and drive around the Park and when you get to the Lost Lagoon turnoff take it and return to Georgia Street and then head for Canada Place - it you still have some time left you could walk a couple of blocks and take in Gastown or head uptown to Pacific Center for any last minute shopping needs.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis! :D

You are so helpful, we will definitely take the early ferry and the scenic Marine Drive route, that sounds perfect. If we have extra time we will use it to explore on foot and pick up a couple of bottles of wine, can't let that ship get too far out of site! :)

I couldn't agree with Ut more, you really need to be on the 8:30 sailing out of Departure Bay anything later and you will be really pushing the envelope. Allow yourself 2 hrs to drive from Campbell River to Nanaimo (on what we refer to as the new Island Hwy) and you must be at the ferry terminal not later than 30 mins prior to departure for them to honour your reservation. So you need to be away from CR by 6 am. Nanaimo has two ferry terminals, the Departure Bay terminal is at the top end of town and the Duke Point is at the bottom end of town. You will see lots of signage directing you so it shouldn't be a problem.

What is the distance from the Ballentyne pier to National Car rental on

Georgia St? Walkable with luggage?

Thanks for your help

not walkable, Ballentyne is further East in the actual Port and you need clearance to come and go, also not in the best area of town. A short taxi ride though, depending on traffic , 10 min

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis, great idea and beautiful route

LaRue,

Yup I agree definately the earlier ferry... too many variables could muck up the plans if you take the later ferry. i am like you I feel more comfortable when I at least know I am in the same city as the ship.

It would be easy to pick up some good wine in West Vancouver before you cross the Lions Gate (maybe someone here who knows West Van can help with location). Try some of our great wines from B.C. I would also pick up all necessary items for ship here too as lots of choices.

The Lions Gate Bridge can be a mess at times. Can't remember when you are travelling, but if it is in Summer traffic might be lighter and you will not be travelling during the morning rush, but heck traffic seems to be all day now.

Enjoy Campbell River -- what is taking you up to Campbell River? Family? Friends? or Just Touring?

Thanks Dennis! :D

You are so helpful, we will definitely take the early ferry and the scenic Marine Drive route, that sounds perfect. If we have extra time we will use it to explore on foot and pick up a couple of bottles of wine, can't let that ship get too far out of site! :)

I forgot to mention to you, if you want to take a little pressure off your time in Vancouver there are any number of BC Liqour stores as you drive up island from Victoria. There is one in the Overwaitea centre right on the highway in Duncan and a relatively new and large one in the Discovery Harbour Shopping Centre in Campbell River. You may not find the selection of wines quite as great in some of the BCL's but the prices are the same through out the province.

Thanks everyone - glad to have been able to help - now if the sun would only shine on the last day of the World Triathlon championship and if Simon Whitfield our local BC boy can win the race it will have been a good week.

Cheers and have a great Sunday where ever you are.

Dennis

Oh my gosh, thank you all so much!! Lot's of great info and we will for sure be on the road and out of Campbell River before 6:00 AM. I would like to make the ferry by 7:45 just in case, it says on the reservation we should check in 60 minutes early but will lose the reservation if not claimed within 30 minute of sailing. This ferry business is new to all in my party. We are sailing on the Carnival Spirit on Wed. July 16th.

We are going to Campbell River to visit my cousin, he and his wife moved there 2 to 3 years ago. They semi-retired from SoCal to Oregon for a decade or so and then bought the house in CR when they were ready to really retire. But now unexpectedly they have decided to move back home to Ventura County and hope to sell the house and return by the end of the year. It is a beautiful large home overlooking the water between CR and Quadra Island and they can watch all the cruise ships sailing in and out of Vancouver cruise by. So if any you are interested there is a hot tip for you. :)

They have a boat chartered to take us on a one day fishing/sightseeing trip to Desolation Sound. I am not sure exactly where that is but it sounds awesome to me. We will be doing some other touring and we plan to take our time on the drive from the airport to CR. Thanks for the tips on the liquor stores and I definitely plan to try your BC wine, yum! Plus we can't arrive on my cousin's doorstep empty handed, that would just be wrong.:eek:

I would love to bring them a few bottles of our local red wines, there are four of us so I believe we could bring 4 through customs. But I can't figure how to get it on the plane, I will not pack it in my checked luggage. Speaking of our wonderful California wines, Putterdude, in an earlier post I think you mentioned Smoking Loon reds, the merlot is my daugter's favorite too and I have several cases I collected for her fall wedding. I can buy it at my local Vons on sale for $5.39 a bottle, wish I could sneak in a few for you.;)

Thanks again Vancouverites, sorry about the novel length reply, can't wait to arrive in your beautiful country, July 13th, only 35 days to go!!:D

Oh my gosh, thank you all so much!! Lot's of great info and we will for sure be on the road and out of Campbell River before 6:00 AM. I would like to make the ferry by 7:45 just in case, it says on the reservation we should check in 60 minutes early but will lose the reservation if not claimed within 30 minute of sailing. This ferry business is new to all in my party. We are sailing on the Carnival Spirit on Wed. July 16th.

We are going to Campbell River to visit my cousin, he and his wife moved there 2 to 3 years ago. They semi-retired from SoCal to Oregon for a decade or so and then bought the house in CR when they were ready to really retire. But now unexpectedly they have decided to move back home to Ventura County and hope to sell the house and return by the end of the year. It is a beautiful large home overlooking the water between CR and Quadra Island and they can watch all the cruise ships sailing in and out of Vancouver cruise by. So if any you are interested there is a hot tip for you. :)

They have a boat chartered to take us on a one day fishing/sightseeing trip to Desolation Sound. I am not sure exactly where that is but it sounds awesome to me. We will be doing some other touring and we plan to take our time on the drive from the airport to CR. Thanks for the tips on the liquor stores and I definitely plan to try your BC wine, yum! Plus we can't arrive on my cousin's doorstep empty handed, that would just be wrong.:eek:

I would love to bring them a few bottles of our local red wines, there are four of us so I believe we could bring 4 through customs. But I can't figure how to get it on the plane, I will not pack it in my checked luggage. Speaking of our wonderful California wines, Putterdude, in an earlier post I think you mentioned Smoking Loon reds, the merlot is my daugter's favorite too and I have several cases I collected for her fall wedding. I can buy it at my local Vons on sale for $5.39 a bottle, wish I could sneak in a few for you.;)

Thanks again Vancouverites, sorry about the novel length reply, can't wait to arrive in your beautiful country, July 13th, only 35 days to go!!:D

your welcome and if we every get down to your neck of the woods we will ask you tons of questions.:)

I sailed on the Spirit 3 years ago out of San Diego, very nice!!