custom air extra charge

raymay

Last month we booked Oct 30th Journey western med and included airfare with Azamara. Today I called and asked for a flight to Barcelona 5 days earlier than the origional date. Custom air is going to charge us an extra 461.00 dollars for going a few days earlier. I am an elite captains club member and have never had to pay extra for an earlier flight. Has anyone else ever heard of this extra fee?

I used custom air last week in order to arrive 3 days pre-cruise and leave 3 days post-cruise (Rome/Athens, also in October). The deviation fee is waived for Captains Club members, but I was aware that the price could change for custom air. However, the flights that I had chosen (Air Canada) didn't amount to an extra charge...perhaps because we are travelling on Tuesdays and not w/e's?

I dealt with Megan...not sure if it would help to call and discuss with her (although chances are you may have spoken to her as I was told that there are only two people in that department.) Also, it might be worth looking at an alternative flight .... I picked my flights and they suggested a slightly shorter flight back (through Zurich) which was going to cost us $105 pp extra. I decided that I would rather connect through Frankfurt, thinking that the $105 would still apply, but for some reason that flight resulted in no extra charge.

The fine print is that they waive the fee for custom air, but once you make a deviation request, there is a chance the air fare will be "different" - ironically, I've never had the airfare quoted as cheaper.

Did you request a specific airline? That can also affect the pricing, if it's one they don't have as good a rate negotiated with.

What is the best way to request custom air? We have never used it before. We are captain's club members and our fee is waived.

My TA says that the airfare contracts for November cruises have not been set up yet with any airlines and she can't tell me anything about custom air as of now.

When she calls and says the fares are available, what should I ask?

Should I first find out what airlines Azamara has contracts with for our November cruise?

We can fly out of Newark or Philly.

We also do not want to pay extra for our airfare if we don't need to since it is included in the price of the cruise.

How many times can we ask for different flights if the ones we originally ask for are too expensive?

Can we just keep requesting different flights and airports until we get ones that we like?

Sorry for all the questions, but we've never used custom cruise air before and I'm getting nervous about airfare since we usually book air independently.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

What is the best way to request custom air? We have never used it before. We are captain's club members and our fee is waived.

Hi Judy,

Let your TA know your preferences (see below).

My TA says that the airfare contracts for November cruises have not been set up yet with any airlines and she can't tell me anything about custom air as of now.
I was able to do October flights last week, so it shouldn't be too long of a wait for Nov. flights.

When she calls and says the fares are available, what should I ask?

Should I first find out what airlines Azamara has contracts with for our November cruise?

I pick the flights that I want and ask if they can arrange them. They may come back with another option (e.g. different flight # or connection), which happened in my case, but I preferred my choice and it actually ended up being no charge as opposed to $105/pp for the suggestion they made. They didn't realize that there would be a difference in price until they dug a bit further to see if they could do the flight I requested.

We can fly out of Newark or Philly.

We also do not want to pay extra for our airfare if we don't need to since it is included in the price of the cruise.

I would give your TA your first and second choice for flights and see what they come back with re price increase, if any. The advantage to doing custom air is being able to add days on pre and post cruise, and picking flights that you know you'll be happy with.

How many times can we ask for different flights if the ones we originally ask for are too expensive?

Can we just keep requesting different flights and airports until we get ones that we like?

I don't think there's a limit as to how many requests you make, but once you book, if you decide to make a change, they will charge the $75. fee. (No charge to cancel the custom air though.)

Sorry for all the questions, but we've never used custom cruise air before and I'm getting nervous about airfare since we usually book air independently.
We usually book air independently too, but this time it was a much better deal to do it with Azamara. The other advantage to doing air with the cruise line is that you have your air confirmed, but if necessary (or if you find a better deal on your own), you can back out of it up until final payment date.

Thanks Susan-M for your great answers!! I'll just have to wait to hear about the original non-stop flight I've chosen. I'm so used to booking air myself that it's hard to wait:eek: .

Another advantage to booking air with Az is that the transfers are included. The ports are quite a distance in Rome and Athens. I'm going to Rome 2 or 3 days early and coming home from Athens 2 or 3 days.

What airline are you flying? Might give me an idea to think about flights.

Thanks for your help and letting me know that it won't be long.

Hi Judy,

You're welcome.:)

We are flying with Air Canada from Toronto ... non-stop to Rome, and one connection on return from Athens...sorry, not very helpful for your search.

Are you doing an Ancient Empires cruise as well?

I think you can only get transfers if you do air and hotels with Az, or when doing air only when flying in and out on embarkation/disembarkation day (I may be wrong on that, but transfers weren't included in our air as I am booking hotels on my own.)

I'm not certain on the Nov. custom air...just a guess that it shouldn't be long... but actually a little surprised that since you can purchase directly with the airline 330 days ahead, that Az can't confirm details now...but my experience with this is limited.

Hi Susan-M,

It's great to hear that you got a non-stop flight to Rome. One stop on the way home is fine also. Maybe we'll be so lucky.

Yes, we're on the Ancient Empires Nov. 8 out of Civitavecchia. We are planning to fly into Rome and stay at the Hilton FCO airport hotel for two nights. We'll pick up the transfers to the port at the airport on embarkation day. We have been to Rome and will probably go in for a day to see the monuments we missed the first time.

We may use Azamara hotels in Athens. Not sure. We were going to stay three nights, but I have been reading on the boards that the people were not very nice to tourists there so we may only stay one night.

We just have to get the air settled first so that we can plan everything else. I'm also surprised that the air isn't contracted yet. We've had this cruise booked since March of 2007.

I think there's an Ancient Empires cruise in June. Can't wait to hear about their trip!

It's great to talk to you.

What hotels are you booking?

Thanks again,

Archived