Teens in bars.

Lawrence22

Just wondering. Are teenagers/children allowed into the bars on board ship to drink soft drinks? If so do they have to be accompanied by parents? Is there a cut off time? e.g. "No children allowed in bar after 8pm"

Lawrence

I don't know that they have any specific rules, but children are allowed in the bars, although I suspect they would not want them hanging out in the lounges, without their parents/responsible adults. But they'll occasionally have activities in lounges that include children. For instance, there was "Harry Potter Trivia" one afternoon in the Schooner Bar, which obviously attracted a number of youngsters.

We went into bars once or twice with our 10 yo son. We'd order a drink and let him pick one of the non-alcoholic drinks.

Children are allowed at bars because, after all, it's the only place to buy drinks.

Previous poster is correct that children cannot sit at the bars. Exceptions are the adult dance club (18+ only allowed inside after 11) and on Voyager/Freedom Class ships, the Viking Crown lounge (although it's less stringently enforced up there).

They are allowed in the bars, and can go up to the bar to get a soda on their soda card. The only place I have seen restrictions, where ID is checked, is in whatever lounge acts as the evening's dance club. We usually go watch the Quest and on the way out they are setting up a station to check seapasses for age limits. After the Quest the lounge becomes the dance venue for the evening.

Thank you all. I was just wondering. Quite often see children in Bars when I'm in Spain at all hours of the night and some of them are still in strollers!! Sometimes the parents are in no fit state to look after them.

Lawrence

You see that all the time in European holiday resorts during the months of June and July. The sad thing is the kids are left to fend for themselves the following day until the parents recover enough to go out again that night, and the next night...

what does seeing children with their parents at bars in Spain have to do with whether or not they are allowed in bars on cruise ships? And on every ship I have been on the bars have lounge chairs in lounge areas where children can sit and have soft drinks - as someone posted they are generally not allowed to sit at a bar (different than being in a bar area or bar lounge).

I remember seeing in the Compass on certain days that no one under the age of such and such after such and such time pm or such and such activity in thus and so lounge at whatever time, 18+ only.

How's that for clear as mud?

In other words if there is a time the kiddos arent' allowed, it will be in your compass.

what does seeing children with their parents at bars in Spain have to do with whether or not they are allowed in bars on cruise ships? And on every ship I have been on the bars have lounge chairs in lounge areas where children can sit and have soft drinks - as someone posted they are generally not allowed to sit at a bar (different than being in a bar area or bar lounge).

I was just wondering what to expect. Generally here children are not allowed in bars. Some bars that serve food allow them in during the day but not in the evenings. In Spain however children seem to be allowed in most bars at any time. I was just wondering what to expect. I judge by the answers given so far that I am probably less likely to see children with very drunk parents on the cruise ship. It is just one of those things that annoys me (Very young children, not so much teens) and that was its' relevence.

Lawrence

Archived