where to stay in venice???

Not sure what you mean by "not too expensive". That is different for everyone. I started looking at 3 *** hotels and was blown away by the $300+++ price tag. To me that's not affordable. I wanted to stay under $200.

The only thing I could find was in Mestre. Golden Tulip Tritone and Hotel Bologna were two I was thinking of for about $165-$185.

Then another member of the thread talked about Hotel Ca' Doge in Piazzale Roma (the transportation hub) of Venice. Shuttles from the pier go to Piazzale Roma, Vaporetto stop is here, buses to the airport, etc. After looking at the Ca' Doge (at about $250 per night) I fell in love with the place and the location. Thus I booked it. It's more than I wanted to spend, but looked like the place I wanted to be.

There are others close to Piazzale Roma (Santa Chiara, Arlecchino, Olimpia) for about the same price range. Go to www.venere.com (they have a nice map) then check out the reviews on www.tripadvisor.com and you should find something you like.

Good luck and have a great trip!

I agree the Santa Chiara and the Ca'Doge are worth a few extra dollars. By not having to haul luggage up and over bridges- you will save hundreds in chiropractic visits.

I have stayed at the Santa Chiara and it was very nice. Never stayed at Ca'Doge but looks nice and is right where you pick up the bus to the airport.

I tried to save money this summer and stay at a hotel off the beaten track. I still payed $ 170 per night and no one lifted a finger to help me with my bags. I was traveling alone with a 6 year old and when I finally reached the hotel (which of course I got lost and it took forever)... there was no doorman, no bellhop. Just me and four heavy bags and a 6 year old. You get what you pay for... once our elevator reached the 4th floor, we then had to walk up to the 5th floor room). I was so mad, upon leaving, I just let my bags fall down the stairs instead of carrying them down. The same thing happened to me in London. Found a hotel with a good price and little else. So spend an extra $ 50 per night and stay at a nicer hotel in a better location.

Other hotels near Piazzle Roma which I highly recommend. Sofitel Venezia (nice! Stayed there in 2005) and the Hotel Antice Figure (Friendly staff, good location. Rooms are nice but not as nice as the Sofitel). You have to go over one bridge to ge to either of these hotels.

Archived