What should we do on Grenada? St. Kittes? Aruba? Isla Margarita?

cwsloan

We want to go snorkeling on one of these islands but want to explore the better ones?

I have read all of the info already posted and I have come to the conclusion that we should:

1. Not get off the ship long at all for Isla de Margarita

2. Grenada should be spent at Grand Andse

3. St Kittes should be spent exploring within the island

so that leaves Aruba....

What should we do? Which island is best for snorkeling?

Thanks!

I must have the same itinerary.
My conclusions of what to do are only slightly different. I've been wondering the same thing. What to do in Aruba? Also is fishing an option anywhere? My husband loves fishing so I thought I might give him a fishing excursion for Father's Day.

Staying on the ship at Isla Margarita is of course your choice but I stayed on the island for a week about 10 years ago and quite liked it. The national park at El Copey is lovely with fantastic views. There are some interesting historic sites (like the fortress where Venezuela's national heroine was held prisoner). And there are some nice beaches (Playa El Agua and near Juan Griego).
Aruba: lots of nice beaches and some interesting rock formations (like Casibiri Rocks, the Natural Bridge and the Haystack).

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;2;1;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  Until NCL SKY

It's been a while but we did take a sailing day trip to an island (whose name escapes me). Our sailing day trip was excellent. We actually sailed most of the way back under full sail - incredible - it was like flying. The island we stopped at had a gorgeous beach but you had to watch out for the occasional jelly fish.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;2;1;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]  Until NCL SKY

As an alternative on Grenada, I highly recommend the Mandoo tour. It's fantastic! I just went on the 4/3/04 Connie sailing, and the Mandoo tour was huge hit (even for my 11 year old). It's $40 per person. Here's what you get: You will meet Mandoo (or his assistant, Alistar) right at the port where the tenders pull up. You will tour:
-- St. George's and see highlights (such as where the U.S bombed in 1983). The guides are very well versed in the history of their country.
-- Drive through a fishing village
-- Visit Concord Falls
-- Stop at the Douglastown Spice Plantation
-- Stop at Grand Etang volcanic park (awesome)
-- Visit Grand Anse beach where you can stay for two hours basking in the sun or swimming in the warm water. We spent $5 to rent chaise lounges, and the person also shooed away vendors -- a price well worth it!
Anyway, the interior of this island is simply breathtaking. You see nutmeg trees, breadfruit trees, banana plantation, loofah plants... you name it AND you get the beach, too.
-- At the end of the day, Mandoo's tour will take you back to the port where you can board the tender.

Are any of you on the 11/22/04 Empress?

Sounds like the same itinerary.

If so, join the roll call!!!!

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=483100861"]ROLL CALL Empress of the Seas 11/22/04[/url]

If you don't take a Mondo Tour and want to hit the beach on Grenada, DON'T go to Grand Anse.

Instead take a slightly longer cab ride to the Aquarium restaurant. It's right between La Source and the Rex. It has it's own nearly private beach, and some lounge chair.

Order the fresh fish special for lunch. You might see the boat bring your lunch ashore. Luch for 2 with salads, soup and local beers, taxes and tip is less than $40 US.

You can snorkel right off the beach and the snorkeling is good, not great.

You will have a nearly private beach with lounge chair service and a wonderful view.

Just don't tell anyone!

Constellation-2/2004
Infinity-4/2001

• 1 month later...
Just did your same itinerary and would suggest that you take a tour of Grenada Island - something that includes the itinerary of Princess's "Grenada Explorer" excursion. This was my favorite island - the people, the rain forest, the spice plantations. I wasn't so thrilled with St. Kitts excursion, so you may want to hit a beach there. Also Aruba has the most beautiful beaches and water and is a wonderful place for scuba and snorkeling. We did the submarine on Aruba and saw lots of scuba divers around the sunken German ship. On Isla Margarita, we only had about five hours, and enjoyed the beach right off the pier - had a great little band, good refreshments and nice variety of vendors. You'll love them all - what a great list of ports!

Golden 2004
Wind 2002
Grandeur 1999

We'll be on Empress for the 1/17/05 sailing. NYwritestuff, I'd be interested in contacting Mandoo in advance to arrange his tour. Can you give me contact information? Thanks!

Jodi
Rhapsody , Sovereign, Monarch (x2), Enchantment, Radiance (x2), Serenade, and looking forward to Empress (1/05)

We went to Brimstone Fortress in St. Kitts and it was BREATHTAKING! My husband was into the historical significance of it but I was just into the view. Make sure your cab driver understands that you want to spend 1 1/2 to 2 hours up there at least and negotiate a price before hand. In Aruba we rented a jeep and toured the island. Baby beach is a must see if you like to snorkle. One of our favorite days! Did not care for Isla Margarita. We went on the Coche Island tour and would not recommend it. If I were to do it over I would just go to the huts at the pier. They had a lot of souveniers-jewelry, clothing etc that were very inexpensive. The locals were very friendly.

I too went to Brimestone Fortress in St. Kitts years ago. The view is amazing! You may also want to keep in mind the possibility of visiting/exploring Nevis.

While in Aruba last year, via X Summit shore excursion, we went to the Butterfly Farm, then to Ayo rock formation and then to the Natural Bridge. The climate and landscape change from one end of the island (Oranjestad) to the other (Natural Bridge) is amazing. You've gone from tropical to desert in less than 20 minutes. It's almost unreal, and very beautiful.

We enjoyed our stay in Oranjestad very much, and I would go back for a land vacation in a heart beat.

Julie

~Apr 2005 NCL Dawn
~Feb 2003 Celebrity Summit
~Feb 2003 Celebrity Infinity -the cruise that never happened...
~Apr 1998 Sunquest SunDream

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Red][FONT=Comic Sans MS]We did a tour with Mandoo on the 5/3/03 cruise and it was fabulous. If you can get your own group together from these boards, he will take you to places you have read about and want to visit. Our group used two large bus type vans and we went to the spice plantations,two of the falls and the beach. Diving and swimming at one of the falls was great. Everyone who goes with Mandoo has fun and learns all the history of the island they could want to know. :D [/FONT][/COLOR]

I don't know why Isle de Margarita gets such a bad rap. We have been twice and had a great time both trips. Sure it is not the tourist trap of a Cancun or Cayman. It is a third world country and as such is a lot different than we are use to but that is what makes it worth the effort to see. The folks are friendly and parts of the country side are gorgeous. We did the 4 wheel drive tours offered by the ships. You get to see a lot of the island and experience something other than McDonalds and shopping malls.

Just my opinion. Get out and enjoy the differences in the world.

Archived