Enchantment to Key West & CocoCay...Passport??

Bert64

I've read the RCCL site and the US State Department site and just wanted to confirm what I think they're saying...a Passport is highly advised but NOT necessary ...is that correct?

Anyone else out there done this or that can put my mind at ease? I understand that Coco Cay is in the Bahamas, but since it's run by RCCL, I don't feel as though we'll be hassled getting off or on the ship, and the other port is Key West, so I am not worried about leaving the ship and not getting back on.

My boyfriend has procrastinated on getting a passport (he lost his) and now needs one by 3/13 :mad:...

You don't need one for CocoCay. However, it depends on where the ship docks at Key West. On Brilliance, in Dec, we docked by the Navy base, and we needed our passports to get back to the ship. There were trolleys that took us into town, and on the way back, Homeland Security boarded the trolleys and checked everyone's passports. I think if you had your seapass and photo id you were ok too.

When we docked in Key West on the Enchantment, we were at a different dock, right in town and didn't need the photo id.

At this time, you will not need a passport before "at least summer '08". Boarder crossings by car have been extended until at least summer '09. It seems both are always being pushed back. Which is good news for those of us with a number of passports to purchase.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :D

Really, thank you all for putting my mind at ease. I feel so much better now and can focus on enjoying the upcoming cruise instead of lecturing my boyfriend about the importance of listening to me when I tell him to do something, like get a passport! :cool:

You won't need a passport for this trip, just a birth certificate and government issued photo ID. However, recent reports indicate that applicants are getting their passports in only a few weeks from submitting their applications, so you might want to suggest to your bf that he apply for one as soon as you return from your cruise. If he really enjoys the cruise he may want to take another one, where a passport will be necessary.:)

Archived