RCCL doesn't acknowledge Hurricane Jeanne is heading toward the Bahamas !!

lizardhowson

Just got off the phone with RCCL. According to them, the Majesty is leaving Miami as scheduled and will spend Sat from 8:00 Am to Sun at 5:00 PM docked at Nassau.

When I asked what arrangements were being made about Hurricane Jeanne being in the Bahamas during the same 2 days, the rep stated "No one has told us that".

She gave me the song and dance about RCCL having a weatherman who works for them and the ship's captain who has 30 years sailing experience.

Checked the RCCL hurricane update site and it's the same info from the past day and a half. The rep couldn't tell me a time when the site would be updated (they have even dropped the 10A, 3P & 7P times)

Well, I guess we wait until RCCL makes up their mind.

Here's the thing - Jeanne was supposed to be in the Bahamas LAST weekend, but that didn't happen. Had they changed or cancelled the port call in Nassau on Thursday of last week, there would have been a lot of angry passengers. So there's no way they are going to make that decision until Jeanne is paractically on top of the islands. We knew nothing until we checked in last Friday, so I suppose you will probably not know until you're on board either. I know it's frustrating, but hurricanes are unpredictable and they will neither make any rash decisions nor will they put you in harm's way.

Nobody knows where the hurricane is going and when it will hit so they have to play it by ear. As far as the website, it has changed because noe chips are being inpacted as of now. If the hurricane does come then they will leave and go somewhere else. As of right now it is not bothering anyone.

Here's the thing - Jeanne was supposed to be in the Bahamas LAST weekend, but that didn't happen. Had they changed or cancelled the port call in Nassau on Thursday of last week, there would have been a lot of angry passengers. So there's no way they are going to make that decision until Jeanne is paractically on top of the islands. We knew nothing until we checked in last Friday, so I suppose you will probably not know until you're on board either. I know it's frustrating, but hurricanes are unpredictable and they will neither make any rash decisions nor will they put you in harm's way.

Well spoken

I agree, I got the same story when I called too. We live in Palm Beach and will be putting the boards back on today and leaving town again to go on the cruise, this time minus one vehicle left in the driveway. Maybe we will head on over to Mexico and who knows if Port of Miami will be ready for us when we return on Monday.

Just got off the phone with RCCL. According to them, the Majesty is leaving Miami as scheduled and will spend Sat from 8:00 Am to Sun at 5:00 PM docked at Nassau.

When I asked what arrangements were being made about Hurricane Jeanne being in the Bahamas during the same 2 days, the rep stated "No one has told us that".

She gave me the song and dance about RCCL having a weatherman who works for them and the ship's captain who has 30 years sailing experience.

Checked the RCCL hurricane update site and it's the same info from the past day and a half. The rep couldn't tell me a time when the site would be updated (they have even dropped the 10A, 3P & 7P times)

Well, I guess we wait until RCCL makes up their mind.

I know it is frustrating and believe me it has been a difficult year for passengers AND TA's out here..... everyone wants to have an answer, but with the uncertatinty of when and where the hurricanes will EXACTLY MAKE LANDFALL, the cruiseline cannot really say until things get closer and definitive. I assure you that if there are any advisories that passengers need to be made aware of, they will be posted to the RCI website as soon as they feel CONFIDENT in advising passengers w/out causing an unnecessary panic !

Be patient and cross your fingers at this point.

What I have learned is this.If your port of Departure is not in the "direct path", or if a port has not already sustained damage,RCI will not make the call.Each Captain,is responsible for that decision,and it may not happen until you sail.

If our Captain last week would have made an early decision,we may not have made any ports!

Hang it there!We were told when we boarded Rhapsody,our itin. was the same,which everyone knew was not gonna happen,but no one can give you that info except the Captain!

Good luck,and try to relax.

Hi everyone just got of the phone with rccl rep she advised there were no changes done on the itnerary what I don't understand if they already place a hurricane warning for the bahamas. I don't get it.. Does anyone know anything that we sure know of.. Has there been any news if by any chance that maybe we might be going to cozumel?

Hi everyone just got of the phone with rccl rep she advised there were no changes done on the itnerary what I don't understand if they already place a hurricane warning for the bahamas. I don't get it.. Does anyone know anything that we sure know of.. Has there been any news if by any chance that maybe we might be going to cozumel?
It's a hurricane watch not a hurricane warning.

Can you imagine what people would feel if they said that they thought they might have to make a specific change, and then the hurricane went in a different direction and they had to make a different change instead? I see no advantage for them in publicly guessing about weather.

Hurricanes are hard to predict, bordering on the impossible so I would not expect them to make plans until they have to.

Well, the US Coast Guard is concerned enough to have closed Port Canaveral by 10:00 AM Saturday morning (saw it on this board) so that will impact some cruises. I would think RCCL would want to give their customers equal advance warning.

What this all boils down to is RCCL won't announce the changes until last possible minute (after everyone is on board) so they don't have to refund the cruise !!

You're mistaken. They don't have to refund the cruise regardless, as long as they sail.

I'm sure RCCL has cruises scheduled to leave Port Canaveral "after" 10:00 AM on Saturday and during the day Sunday. RCCL just put up a 7:00 PM update on their webpage.

Perhaps I didn't phrase my thoughts correctly.

Archived