2 for 1 Business Class

PittsburghJack

Just read in USA Today Seabourn is offering 2 for 1 business class to gateway cities in Europe. As I understand, this promo was begun last month.

I booked our trip last year and paid about $10k for airfare (through Seabourn) and have made final payment. Is this any incentive to book early.........I think not.

My TA is to return my call shortly.

Any thoughts?:mad: Jack

(Who is not happy right now.)

You need to look at the total cost of your cruise. The cruise fare you paid is most probably lower than the one offered with the 2fer...and that is if your category suite is available...and the cost of the business class air is better than you can do on your own.

On other lines they may offer "free air", but the credit for not taking their air can be substantially less than cost of the air. And then, to make matters worse, the cost of the cruise varies by the city you are departing from for the air portion.

Bottom line: Look at the bottom line.

Jack,

The incentive for booking early is to get the sailing and the suite number or category that you want. For my first Seabourn cruise, I had Seabourn do the air and I paid about $5.3K for 1 one-way business class from LAX to Malaga, Spain and FLL to LAX. Afterwards, my TA told me that I could get better airfares on my own. She was right as I have done my own air ever since. The crossings are tough with the two one-way flights and, to be blunt, the airlines really stick it to you price-wise for the OW flights. However, I have had success purchasing discounted business class tickets as close to the 330 days before the flight when the airlines load their schedules and fares into the airline reservations system as possible. All tickets I purchased, except one, were refundable if I canceled. The only ticket that wasn’t refundable, only charged $200 if I cancelled the flights.

I have to agree with what Boatman posted above. I experienced a similar situation in 2004 after booking the B2B Legend 2004 westbound crossing and Panama Canal cruises while on the 2003 crossing. The EBS for the PC cruise was 35% at the time I booked. Then one day, before final payment, I received a postcard from Seabourn announcing my PC sailing was now 55% off! I fired off an email to my TA and asked her to check it out. Two days later she called me and told me the cost of the 55% off cruise was higher than my already booked 35% off sailing in the same category. Methinks the Marketing Dept. is moonlighting for the Revenue Management Dept.

I understand how you feel. Let your TA contact Seabourn and see what the cost of your cruise and airfare and see what the bottom line really is. As I was, you too may be pleasantly surprised.

Archived