Alaska cruisetours - meal plan?

dakrewser

For anyone who has chosen to take the meal plan on a cruise tour (or, if you haven't and wish you had - or otherwise have an opinion ;)), HAL is offering this to us for $50/ea/day for dinner, breakfast & lunch on 2 out of 6 days.

What's your opinion?

For anyone who has chosen to take the meal plan on a cruise tour (or, if you haven't and wish you had - or otherwise have an opinion ;)), HAL is offering this to us for $50/ea/day for dinner, breakfast & lunch on 2 out of 6 days.

What's your opinion?

When I went I decided not to take the meal plan. This was after talking to several people who had gone before. One reason to not take the meal plan is that you are locked into eating in the resturant that your voucher is for that meal. If you see something else that looks more interesting you cant go unless you want to waste your voucher. When we went we were also comped for several meals because the bus was late or whatever inconvience happened. So we got a free meal while the ones with the meal plan used there voucher that they had paid for. Another night we got into Skagway and found a little resturaunt where the locals ate and decided to go in to mix with the local atmosphere. It was great and the food was good, we had a nice seafood dinner. So my advice is to forget about the meal plan and be free to do whatever you want.

I disagree. In August '07 for our cruisetour I decided not to buy the meal plan thinking I could find cheaper meals. WRONG! Breakfast was usually $15-20, lunch was around $20-25 and dinner was $25-30. We usually arrived at the hotels between 5:30 and 6:30 so didn't feel like looking around for someplace to eat, and ended up eating at the hotel anyway. If I were to go again, I would definitely do the meal plan and know it was all taken care of.

One reason to not take the meal plan is that you are locked into eating in the resturant that your voucher is for that meal. If you see something else that looks more interesting you cant go unless you want to waste your voucher.

There is that, but I'm not sure how many choices we'll have in Deadhorse and Coldfoot :)

Archived