Need your help please! (Thanks)

Emme

Just posted this on a different thread but didn't get too much feedback and I'm starting to kind of panic that I don't have an excursion set up by now. Help!!! Please!

I'm traveling on the Legend on May 31st.
Two of the stops are St Thomas from 7:00 - 6:00 (a Friday) , the other is Tortola from 7:00 - 2:00 (a Sat). We'd like to go snorkeling in Tortola.
In a previous thread someone mentioned the name of an excursion company to book with for Tortola but I'd like to know of other companys people have used for their excursion for both St Thomas and Tortola. I'd like to get some beach and shopping time in St Thomas too. Can I just go to the beach and snorkel on my own or isn't there really going to be much to see if I do that?

Also, (dumb question, I know) but how do I get to the excursion? Taxi? Do they come and pick you up? Do you snorkel from a boat or a beach.
(I'm such a rookie!)

Hey- don't despair- glad to help if I can.
First of all, you take a taxi (at your expense, but very reasonable) on either island to your excursion. The taxi driver will surely offer to Meet you and pick you up on your return trip in time to get you back to your ship. Taxi's are lined up when you get off your ship at either destination. They are regulated so pricing is uniform. Also very safe.

For St Thomas, I recommend a day sail, which is from 9A-3P and includes full lunch aboard. You can sun, swim, snorkle and also get a tour of the harbor and wildlife as you go along. Crew is very friendly and can give you lots of info/history of the island. Will run you $110 per person. One that is usually available is

[url="http://www.interlinesail.com"]www.interlinesail.com[/url]

You will return from your daysail by 3PM, in plenty of time to shop at Havensight Mall which is right on the dock at your ship.

For Tortola, I recommend this website:

[url="http://www.b-v-i.com/Tortola/tour.htm"]http://www.b-v-i.com/Tortola/tour.htm[/url]

This site has so much info on the island, and you can just rent a jeep and drive it yourself, or you can get one of the taxi's waiting at the ship to take you on the tour- very reasonable. Don't miss having lunch at Cane Garden Bay!
Hope this helps?

Saving for a cruizing!

Thank you so much for all those links! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
I am going to see what I can find about snorkeling in Tortola!! I cannot wait, only 17 more days to go.
Thanks for the advice about the taxi's. Our main goal for St. Thomas is the beach and shopping, (we're not into touring because we don't think our 5 yr old sit through a tour).
So you think we'd be okay just getting a taxi in St Thomas and go shopping on our own and then have it take us to a beach? Would we be allowed to use our snorkel gear at the beach? What beach would you recommend? I don't suppose there is any non-smoking beaches around?
I know these are probably lame questions but I'm going to ask anyway. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Thanks again.

On St Thomas, there is a large strip mall/Havensight/where your ship docks. The prices and stores are the same as in the town, which is only a short/brisk walk away if you just want to go to town. Hard Rock Cafe is in town, and has good souvenirs. Drake's Passage ( a small alley way) has some cute shops and good cool shops to duck into. It's all duty free shopping, but if you only want T-shirts and souvenirs, the dock mall is fine. If you want fine jewelry, china, etc, town is best for more selection. There is a huge openair market right on the corner between your ship docks and town; if you start to walk towards town, a taxi will stop and offer you a ride, which you can take if you want. Or just tell any taxi to take you to the open air market, which is , again, right at the start of the shopping/stores in town. The taxis roam the island all day, and will stop and ask you if you are ready to go back to your ship. They know the departure times and will ensure you are back in time for your departure. Prices are regulated and the drivers are honest and very friendly.
As for beaches, you can get any taxi to take you over to Megan's Beach (very pretty and crystal clear water). They have picnic shelters/pavilions and some trees for sun-shade, and a large pavilion with hamburgers/hotdgs, etc for lunch or snacks. You can take/use your own snorkle equipment and can rent floats there if you want. Be sure and take your sunscreen and towels from boat. Another good beach is Coki Beach- either one is great. Megan's charges $3 P/P admission I think (and it's worth it), whereas Coki is free.
You can't go wrong with any beach; but , just as anywhere you might go, watch your wallet and valuables when you're in the water.
Have a super time- hope you enjoy the islands.

Saving for a cruizing!

Wow! You've been so helpful to me, thank you.
I have actually been having headaches lately trying to get this stuff figured out.
Glad to know we can kind of be out and about and plan our day as we want to and have the flexibility to come & go as we please. I like that.
I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a tour but if we went snorkeling and were having such a great time, I'd hate to have to stop and move on to the next leg of the tour. How do I know how much to tip the taxi driver?
How far are Megans beach and Coki's from the port? When you say "rent a float" what is a float?
Also, someone mentioned that you have to wear a certain type of sunscreen that won't mess up the water, don't know if it's the water proof or non-water proof that is "bad". Do you know anything about that?
Thanks so much!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Archived