passport or not

butcherbob

Early May or late? It is my understanding (per my travel agent) that passports will be required after June 1st. I sail May 31st. Hubby and I have ours, and I'm definitely getting them for the kiddoes as well (although I'm not sure they will need them even then).

Better safe than sorry. Last I heard the wait was three to four weeks - we're applying this Saturday to be safe :cool:

Here you are -

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1200669485238.shtm

Last paragraph:

Trusted Traveler Program cards, or other secure documentation denoting both citizenship and identity in response to the Jan. 31 change will not need to take additional steps to meet the final WHTI requirements upon full implementation in June 2009.

U.S. citizens may begin applying in advance for the new U.S. Passport Card on Feb. 1, 2008, in anticipation of land border travel document requirements. The U.S. Department of State expects that cards will be available and mailed to applicants in spring 2008.

Although DHS was on schedule to begin implementation of the new requirements as early as summer 2008, the fiscal year 2008 Appropriations Bill passed by Congress last month restricts the department from implementing these new requirements until June 2009.

For more information, visit www.dhs.gov or www.travel.state.gov.

From what Ive read you will not need one.

However you will soon, might as well just get one now.

DH & I both got one for our July cruise yesterday.

The post office lady said that they will be here no later than April 10th, but probably more like mid March.

The one thing that really convinced me to get one even though it might not be required is that if they change the policy/ govt rules we will have to rush to get one later. Also we going to the Western Carribean and leaving the kids in TX. If we miss the boat (doubtful I will need to be there early as that thought just scares me) or have to rush home (again doubtful the inlaws are great at dealing with any issues the boys might have) we would need the passport to be able to fly.

I did toy with the idea of the passport card, but its not really that much cheaper and you can not use it to fly. Since flying was my main thought that made no sense to get for me.

Living in CA and remembering the mess about passports not long ago when everyone was applying and it was taking forever I figure its better to go ahead and get it now than have to deal with it when it is mandantory and everyone is again trying to get one at the same time.

Now my boys are not leaving TX and as of now you do not need one to fly from CA to TX so they should be okay.

Passports are recommended, but not required.

Cruise Passengers

U.S. and Canadian citizens arriving on cruises from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of identity and citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. View complete list of acceptable documents at CBP.gov.

from http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders

(the news release posted above by dec2007w3boys is referring to the Jan 31, 2008 land border crossing requirements where oral declarations of citizenship are no longer accepted; it had nothing to do with cruising)

Archived