Azamara Journey Antarctic cruise

Brian Raine

Its me again returning from Antarctic via the Azmara Journey, where do I start?.

1/ This ship is a curate's egg , it does not know what is trying to be and as a consequnence failing.

2/ Butlers, who needs them, apparently 90% of the passengerds we spoke to. They were just glorified cabinstewards, looking after a large number of "staterooms" diluted their potential.Complaints to the front desk mangager,Mss Fleet, did appear to gee up our "butler " a little. Our cabin steward was contrarily very good and was most personnable and helpful.

3/Service, In the restaurant, we never went to the "alterantive venues",was overall very good, again minor irritants stopped it being exellent.However it was closed on shore days, for whose convenience????

Buffet, deck 9,as things go it was reasonable thata all. Some 40% of the seating area is outside, so in cold weather it was underused causing backup in the main area. Food dispensing areas were very crowded at the main lunch time , noon until 1330 hours. Clearing of used crockery on tables was patchy at best,some waiters walked past 3/4 times before attending to the crockery.

4/ Itinarary. We only did this cruise for the "Antarctic" section, having been around the Horn before.The scenery was outstanding, the wildlife performed as if to que, the weather kept clear, mostly cloudly but little foggy and windy. The Ice pilot and the captain kept us informed of where we were and what was visible, overall this section was the best .

5/Entertainment. Limited comprising of a violinist( very good)5 onboard singers( noisy reasonable

classical piansit,comedian( English unusual on a USD ship, very good)Paraguyan Harpist(brilliant, I like the Paraguayan harp music so I'm biased)

final night was an Australian singer.throughout the vessel a guitarist sang!! and played , a harpist played , a pianist crooned !!! in the Cova bar and a three piece combo played in the disco area.

Overall the trip was enjoyable however if Celebrity want to persist in calling this vessel " A 5 star cruisning experinece" then they will have to buck up their ideas.

My next sojourn is on the Royal Princess, the ex R6 vessel,the comparision should be interesting.

Archived