Is this true???

itchin2cruz

I just read this on the Carnival website:

What kind of legal documents do I need to take for my children?

All children require a passport. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

A cruise line can require you to bring any documents they like. I know nothing about Carnival, but if they state they require it, I would assume they do.

The direct quote from the webpage is:

What kind of legal documents do I need to take for my children?

All children require is a passport

This is not quite the same as saying all children require a passport. I suggest you call Carnival and speak with them. And then call again to see if you get the same answer!

No, I've cruise with Carnival twice in the past year and they haven't REQUIRED passports yet. Soon though. But not before your April cruise.

From the carnival site...

What are the new passport requirements?spacer.gif

CRUISE TRAVEL

The U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. To make sure you are prepared at your departure port, visit www.travel.state.gov for the latest and exact passport requirements.

Second place I looked on the carnival site said the same thing as the last one I posted. In other words, at this time, a birth certificate is ok.

U.S. citizens must present proof of citizenship in the form of a passport (valid or expired for less than 10 years), original birth certificate, state-issued certified copy of a birth certificate from the Department of Health and Vital Statistics, or original Naturalization papers.

Carnival strongly recommends its guests travel with a passport since it will greatly expedite clearance by the Department of Homeland Security.

i've called carnival 2x asking them if i needed a letter from the absent parent stating permission to take them on the cruise,, both times they said no.. i hhope they're right, because i won't have one!!

Just be aware, you may not be asked by Carnival, but you may be asked by by government officials. I've cruised alone with my twins four times, and was asked once (on the way back into the U.S.).

Best,

Mia

Just be aware' date=' you may not be asked by Carnival, but you may be asked by by government officials. I've cruised alone with my twins four times, and was asked once (on the way back into the U.S.).

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Agree 100% Same thing happened to me. It's not the Carnival people you need to worry about it's homeland security. You just never know what they'll ask for.

I carry the letter when I cruise alone with the girls

It depends where you are sailing to. If you leave the US, you may need to have a passport depending on where you are visiting. If you can get one, get one to be safe.

If you flight takes you out of the US, you may need the letter from the other parent- the airline can ask for it. We missed our flight to Mexico, and had to call my husband's -ex to come to the airport to provide the letter - then we had to find a notary at JFK on a Sunday morning. Not easy. 6 hours later, we made it to Mexico and I became a notary (never again!). The letter has to be notarized!

i've called carnival 2x asking them if i needed a letter from the absent parent stating permission to take them on the cruise,, both times they said no.. i hhope they're right, because i won't have one!!

The cruise line does not require the letter, but US Immigration and sometimes airlines and the Government of Mexico may ask for it if your cruise stops anywhere in Mexico. I was asked to show the notorized letter three different times when I traveled with my boys and their dad wasn't traveling with us. If you don't have that letter, you could be in for some big trouble. Homeland Security is getting pretty sticky about this stuff and if you don't have this letter, you could be in a world of trouble. Sometimes, when you check in at the airport, the airline personnel could ask some questions. If your cruise is a ways to go, get this letter and carry it with you.

If you have time go ahead and get the passports. We just got our DS and DD's in the mail yesterday. It only took 2 weeks start to finish. I know this issue gets discussed so many times on these boards, but getting a passport is really easy to do and it truly is the "gold" standard for US citizenship proof. If I ever needed to prove my citizenship in a foreign country, I am glad I have it and not just a BC and Drivers License. Also, if you are leaving (or entering) the US with your kids without the other parent, you should definitely carry a letter. Better to be safe than waiting around getting cleared through Homeland Security.:)

Archived