Amtrak from Newark to Ft Lauderdale

njtwinmom

I just submitted a message about driving to Florida, but we are also thinking about taking the train. Has anyone taken Amtrak from Newark, NJ to Ft. Lauderdale? How was it? At the Ft. Lauderdale Station I would take a cab to the Port or do they have a cruise shuttle? At the Port is there a shuttle back to the train station? After the cruise the train would leave at 12:30pm. Would there be enough time to make the train? Thanks!

the train is ALWAYS late!

the FLL train station is not in a great area...hollywood is closer to the port IIRC. no shuttle, just get a cab..

the trains to FLA are ALWAYS packed....do NOT go coach, get a sleeper....not cheap, but you get meals so not too bad.

the roomettes hold 2, but they are VERY small...IIRC there is a toilet and folding sink but the shower is down the hall......i did it in coach...NEVER EVER again. TOO many people!!! i actually stayed up almost all night in the cafe car!

took the train from Tampa to FLL...it was soooo late, they bused us to another station about 90 minutes away so the train wouldn't be further delayed going all the way to tampa then all the way back to the east coast..

if you have plenty of time, it's ok. Plan to arrive the day before...or two if you can. as for getting back...if everything happens according to plan, it's OK. just stop someplace for food or stuff on the way if you want....nothing in or near either station.

HTH

The two relevant trains, the Star and the Meteor are on CSX south of DC. This railroad cannot get its own trains over the road, let alone Amtrak. It is bad enough over here on the NS side where the CEO is a railfan again.

Doc

At the Ft. Lauderdale Station I would take a cab to the Port or do they have a cruise shuttle? At the Port is there a shuttle back to the train station? After the cruise the train would leave at 12:30pm. Would there be enough time to make the train? Thanks!

Cabs the way to go as there's no cruise shuttle in either direction. You would have plenty of time to make the train after the cruise.

Sometimes the train is late (same with airplanes, too) I would plan on getting in the day before .

We have taken Amtrak several times , just not to/from NJ , but overnight and while the train had been late at times - it managed to arrive at the station on time - but don't plan on that. Anything can happen along the way.

I would get a sleeper for sure - the food is great - the cost of the food is built into the fare - but not the tips for the servers and room attendent.

Have fun, MaryAnn

We will arrive the night before the cruise. I'll take the train to Hollywood since that is closer to the port. Thanks!

DH and I took the train to NYC from Charleston, SC while I was pregnant with Baby_G. We had a roomette and it was cozy, but like other posters have mentioned, lateness is a problem. We didn't really care because we weren't on a "schedule", but I highly recommend a roomette - sleeping quarters, toliet, showers, and meals. Wasn't too shabby, but you WILL appreciate your ship's cabin. (If you thought they were small, wait until you get a roomette! :D)

Put your DH in the top rack, being held into place only by a net isn't my cup 'o tea.

• 4 months later...

I took a train several years ago from Philly to Orlando. I will never do that again unless I have a sleeper car. Regular coaches are very cramped, and even though the train left Philly at 8pm, we didn't get to sleep until early the next morning due to the night owls who wanted to talk all night. As a note on the return trip, I ditched the return ticket and paid for a rental car. That's how uncomfortable it was! It also gave me a chance to stop in the south and see family.

One good thing on the train was the breakfast, which tasted as if it was from a local diner.

As a previous poster mentioned, the train does not run on time and anything can go wrong with accidents on the track, heavy rain covering the tracks or freight cars blocking the tracks/not giving the right of way to Amtrak. The freight train lines own most of the tracks in the South once you pass Washington/Richmond!

Archived