Which class ship best suits us?

roe2ship

We would like to try RCL for a Caribbean cruise in 2006. The voyager class ships have been on my list to try as we prefer bigger ships and would love to see the Royal Promenade. Actually, the new ultra voyager class would have been ideal since we also like brand new – 2-3 yrs old ships at minimum. However, our children will have Easter recess in mid April and apparently the ultra will be ready for May 2006. I began to sort out some options, and the Jewel of the Seas has caught my eye. The radiance class ships look absolutely beautiful. They appear to have an extra classy elegant look to them. Additionally, all that glass seems to have a genuine feel of open space and a great view of the ocean from almost anywhere on the ship. When I compare the voyager class to the radiance class (from pictures) as fine as the voyager class looks, could it be too vibrant? Does the décor somewhat compare to Carnival ships? I am beginning to think that the radiance class is more of my taste. How different are the two classes? Are the main highlights on each class the Royal Promenade and Centrum / Atrium? Is food quality the same on each?

We also LOVE aft cabins. From what I have seen and read on the boards is that some of the voyager class aft cabins have superstructure on the balconies and that ALL aft cabins do not provide a view straight down into the water when standing at the railing. This is also noticeably on aft cabins on the Jewel of the Seas but not to the extent like voyager? Am I correct on this?

Lastly, and very important, our children at the time will be 17 (girl) 11 (boy) and 4 (boy). We will be 41 and 40. Not crazy about crowds, long lines and children running like wild indians all over the ship. Neither of the older two have interest in the ice skating rink or rock climbing wall. So would you say the age group activities and programs are similar on each class? Or does the Voyager class definitely further cater to children? I remember reading that the Mariner (my first voyager choice) does not have a children’s pool? Also, are the main pool areas on each class equal to deck space or the radiance class has less?

Any comparisons, suggestions, experiences will be very much appreciated. Thank you!

We were on the Radiance last spring break and have the Serenade scheduled for Thanksgiving this yr.

I have seen the difference in the 2 classes as what you have read. The Voyager Class will be a little less Elegant and a little more "Party" atmosphere. (their publicity is on "More and More things to do"), but the Voyager Class will also have more deck space, outdoors, more activities for the children (even the teens) and actually more 'space per passenger' (even though the 3600 people on one ship tends to turn me off).

The Radiance class ships are still Gigantic with a lot of space, but I love the elegance and the decor on the ships. Lots of dark wood and lots of glass with views of the ocean everywhere. Also, I have been on a lot of the smaller (74,000 gross tons) ships and the idea of a ship almost 30% bigger (91,000 gross tons), but with the same # of passengers is what really sold me on the Radiance class. We didn't see any crowds except the first day in the Windjammer, but you always have that on every ship.

Lastly, depending on when your spring break falls, you probably won't have "crowds of children / wild indians all over the ship. We worried about that last year on our spring break cruise, and it wasn't a problem.

Hope this helps!1

I don't think the decor differs that much between Radiance and Voyager class ships. Neither feature the bold (I would say garish) styles synonymous with Carnival's ships. Because the Voyager class ships are a third again as wide as the Radiance class, the outside pool area is large, but conversely the Solaria on Radiance class have a retractable glass roof that is absent on Voyager. Both have a large variety of lounges and public areas and have great places for youngsters to gather and enjoy each others company and the many activities provided for them. In my mind, the Voyager design tends to draw you to the interior of the ship to the extent that you may often forget you are at sea, while Radiance class ships draw your attention to the water and the scenery you are passing. Both classes of ship are stunningly beautiful and we have found the cruise staff on both classes of ship to be extremely friendly and forthcoming. They seem to enjoy working on these ships and that joy translates into great service. While ice skating may not be of particular interest to you or your kids (it isn't to me either :) ), the ice show is something spectacular that, if you decide on a Voyager ship, you really should make a point to see. They are really different experiences each with their advantages and disadvantages. While I prefer Radiance class overall, I would jump at a chance to sail on a Voyager class ship if the right occasion arose. Find an itinerary that appeals to you ( the longer itineraries that most Radiance class ships sail might help you avoid large groups of kids) and book whichever ship sails that route. I think you will enjoy it, and if you like it and RCI enough, you can always book your next cruise on the other class of ship.

Archived