HAL...looking and have questions..

ykckby

I've not sailed HAL and am seriously considering it for next February. My situation is a bit different and I'm wondering if "you" would recommend HAL as a good option. I have cruised with NCL, X, Princess, RCCL and once with Carnival. I've not had a bad cruise but then things like a piece of lint on the carpet is not going to ruin my time. Without a doubt X has been my favorite but I also realize that one shouldn't necessarily "tag" a cruise line based on one experience. (Still...Carnival had my one and only visit several years ago!)

I am 59 and each February cruise with my son (20) who has mental retardation. It's a mom/son trip because he has a school break, dad owns a CPA firm and can't get away and siblings also have careers that don't allow a trip during President's week. My son LOVES to cruise and has done so for many years. We sailed the X Century during his break in 2007 and just sailed NCL Pearl last month. His comment on the way home last month was "that was great but I like Celebrity better". My gut says relative to the Pearl (which was a good trip) he liked the ambiance of X, less chaos, less announcements, dressing up and he said he really enjoyed having one table with the same waiter and people every night. I should add that he comfortably could "hold his own" at the dinner table of 10 every night on our Celebrity cruise - although his subject matter might not be too deep:D.

My son has an intense interest in culinary work and has since age 4 and his current vocational training is in that area. I've been told that HAL, on some ships, has a culinary area with demonstrations etc. so in addition to what I perceive as an atmosphere that would appeal to us, this would seem like an added benefit. What I can't find is what trips/ships might include this.

My preferences are fairly simple: a balcony to which I can retreat in mid afternoon when it's too loud at the pool, children whose parents take responsibility for them and their behavior, attentive and friendly service, and (I admit) a more upscale experience. I have no interest in surfing pools, skating rinks, rock walls or the like, and find that my son doesn't either most likely because of the excessive noise and crowding.

I would be interested in some general comments about HAL, specifically in comparison to Celebrity...not in a judgmental perspective just some thoughts. Also can anyone give me a sense of what the "culinary" aspect of HAL entails? Are there certain ships?

We have the options of the Westerdam, Eurodam, or Veendam as our easiest choices (we live in the Boston area) but also could consider the Oosterdam out of San Diego. Ports are less important than the general onboard experience as he enjoys snorkeling or simple excursions but whether it is yet one more trip to the stingrays and reefs in the Caymans (we may actually be up to 6 or 7 now) is irrelevant compared to a first trip to Turks. I've perused the HAL website but didn't get a real sense of the differences in the ships and expect your comments may be far more useful.

Thanks

kim

Kim,

IMO a HAL cruise would be wonderful for you and your son! I have not taken part in the culinary programs but they have had them on every cruise I've been on (all on the VISTA class ships) and people rave about them. Also, there has never, ever been noise or crowding around either of the pools in my experience. HAL ships usually have very few children, and none of the recreation type things you mentioned. It's much more adult oriented and sedate. You can have fixed dining at the same table every night with excellent attentive service... let's see did I cover everything? One caveat - I've never sailed another line so I can't actually compare, but from what you've described about your needs and your son's, I think you will have a fantastic time on a HAL cruise!

Moriah

I've only done one HAL but there was an open cooking demo AND a "Hands on class" for which we paid about $25. The second class was very small and we had fun. That was on a 10 day cruise.

We're booked for a 20 night B2B in May on the Noordam so I am looking forward to double cooking classes.

If you check the ship descriptions you should see the Culinary Center.

Good luck and have a great time on HAL. I think it will be a great match for you and son. Be sure to get traditional seating if you want the same waiter every night. You might even "push the issue" because of your son.

On our last Ryndam cruise, the table next to us in the dining room was occupied by a couple with their adult developmentally disabled son. They had a great time. The son knew all the waiters, they treated him respectfully and he reciprocated-big hugs on the last night. The ship was small enough that it was easy for all of us to navigate around.

Gary

I've never been on Celebrity, but from what I've read here it is a very close match to HAL. Some prefer X food, and some prefer HAL, but that's about all that's mentioned often in comparisons.

All HAL ships have at least 2 free cooking demos in the Culinary Arts Center and at least two cooking classes per week. The latter are $29 each, for a maximum of 12 people, and last 60 to 90 minutes, depending on what is being prepared and some other variables. They may be very "hands on" or they may be mainly close-up demos, depending on the chef.

If you think your son may be interested in those, go to the front desk and sign up ASAP after boarding (before lunch if you can!) as they fill up quickly. The front desk will have the recipes that will be used in each class. Some people in suites prefer to ask the concierge to make the class reservations, but if she doesn't get to it in time you may be shut out of your preferred class.

Most of the things that you and your son enjoy on the Celebrity ships are also available on HAL. Like Celebrity, HAL too is a traditional, lowkey cruiseline with less noise and a lower level of what I call "busy-ness".....that's the frantic activity that you see on some cruiselines where people are running around, shouting at each other, drinking profusely, and otherwise working hard to have a good time.

We have always found the Indonesian and Filipino crew on HAL ships to be especially warm and caring individuals who are willing to go the extra mile to make our cruise enjoyable. Although we have almost always received good service on other lines, there is something special about the HAL crews.

The only thing that may be a problem is the dining arrangements if you are set on having traditional dining with the same tablemates and the same waiters each evening. If you have read any of the recent threads on this board, HAL is in the process of establishing a new dining program on its ships called "As You Wish" dining. That consists of both traditional, fixed seating and open seating in the dining room.

Reports from some recent travelers have indicated that right now there are some inconsistencies in the way the dining program is operating. Even some passengers who thought they were confirmed for fixed seating somehow wound up with open seatiing. By the time your cruise takes place that may all be worked out, but you should be aware that Holland America is not currently offering the two fixed seating dining times that Celebrity does.

I think you would both be a good fit for HAL and would find it a nice alternative to Celebrity. I have sailed Celebrity and find both lines to be more similar than different.

As mentioned above, with AYW dining just implemented, it is difficult to get a traditional table. Have your TA push the issue, the reservations desk can only book what the computer allows, so go to the next level. She can also submit an ADA accomodations type of request, etc. You will find HAL very responsive.

In addition to the new culinary explorations, HAL has alway had fruit carving demos, ice carving demos, napkin foldings, and of course, the galley tour.

HAL pax enjoy themselves and are pleasant company. They are loud, boisterous, or pushy.

Happy Sails to You!

They are NOT loud, boisterous, or pushy.

Boy, I really blew by that one!:eek:

Hahahahaha...I knew exactly what you meant!

I want to thank each of you for your kind thoughts and input. It sounds as if HAL would be a great fit and the culinary aspect an added bonus.

I did call and try to book the Westerdam. I was told that the 2/14 sailing will be all fixed seating (upper and lower) with 4 times. Unfortunately, I was also told that the two early seatings were closed leaving only 7:45 and 8:15 which is just too late for my son. The person giving the information wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy and I hadn't read your comments so I didn't push it.

However, I'll call back, look also at the Eurodam for that week and ask further about being added to one of the earlier seatings on the Westerdam given the circumstances of my son and see what develops.

Thanks very much....

kim

Archived