Ocho Rios - Margaritaville or Bamboo Beach who has been to either?

G&TQ

I have been researching excursions for Ocho Rios and plan on visiting Dunn’s River Falls but we also want to do the beach thing. From reading the boards it looks like we can grab food and drinks at Margaritaville and then enjoy the beach right there but I can’t find any more details. I remember seeing Bamboo Beach listed on Carnival, but other then the booking engine for excursions it has been removed. The details were removed on the booking engine and XXX has been added to the front of the name.

My question(s) is/are: Who has been to either Margaitaville or Bamboo or both? Can you offer some details including prices?

Any information will be great!

Thanks!

We've been to Bamboo Beach but not Margaritaville. We didn't enjoy Bamboo Beach all that much. We would probably never go back. We thought it was rather boring. I checked out several reviews about it after we got back and was astonished that several people actually liked it. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I got the impression that older or more subdued folks are the ones who liked Bamboo Beach. We're not Margaritaville type party people but we do like a little action in our excursions. All we did at Bamboo Beach was sit and watch. The swimming area was more of a wading area.

I don't know anything about you but I would say that if you're in good enough shape to do Dunn's River Falls and you're interested in Margaritaville, I doubt that you would enjoy Bamboo Beach very much. It's more for people that want to sit and be fed and entertained and not very good for those who prefer to go sailing, snorkeling, hiking, etc.

Hope this helps, some.

---Bruce

I would recommend waiting till you get there to book any of them. We did the Bamboo Beach Club a few weeks ago for $45 per person, but friends of ours who didn't book through the ship walked up and paid $3!! There were better beaches with water trampolines and nicer beaches on either side that cost about $5. Bamboo had chairs set up with girls coming around with food and drinks continuously.

Hello,

Margaritaville in Ocho Rios was a good time. Has a waterslide that goes through the restaurant. The beach is okay. You do have to pay a few bucks to use it. They have a security guard patrolling the beach..give him a small tip and he'll keep an extra eye on your things. There is also an inflatable diving platform/trampoline that's pretty fun.Plenty of shopping in the area around margaritaville. The things I didn't like about the area are

1. There is a bauxite loading site near the pier ,and in my opinion, spoils the view.

2. We were constantly harassed by the cab drivers while we walked from the pier to Margaritaville. They even got verbally abusive when we didn't want to hire them. Once you get to the shopping area you don't have to worry about it. Security keeps them out.

We had a great time

Hello,

Margaritaville in Ocho Rios was a good time. Has a waterslide that goes through the restaurant. The beach is okay. You do have to pay a few bucks to use it. They have a security guard patrolling the beach..give him a small tip and he'll keep an extra eye on your things. There is also an inflatable diving platform/trampoline that's pretty fun.Plenty of shopping in the area around margaritaville. The things I didn't like about the area are

1. There is a bauxite loading site near the pier ,and in my opinion, spoils the view.

2. We were constantly harassed by the cab drivers while we walked from the pier to Margaritaville. They even got verbally abusive when we didn't want to hire them. Once you get to the shopping area you don't have to worry about it. Security keeps them out.

We had a great time

Hopefully to stop the verbal abuse, Ocho Rios has implemented a 3 strike rule for taxi drivers. They have undercover cops that pose as tourist and if they catch taxi drivers treating folks like they treated you...3 times..they lose their commercial license. I believe (but don't quote me) it has been in place about 6 months. When we were there earlier this month it was much better.

We walked from the ship to Island Village (where Margaritaville is ) and back without incident. Now several taxi drivers did ask....but they did it politely and once we said no..that was it. No more comments.

Now I don't know how long this will work...but let's hope for quite awhile!!

Also the bauxite loading site near the pier is still there and I agree...it totally spoils the look!!!

We went to Sunset Jamaica Grande (yellow resort buildings you can see from the ship) and had an amazing day. Day rate is 45 for adults and 25 for kids. This includes all drinks, buffet breakfast (if you arrive early enough), buffet lunch, grill with great jerk chicken and fries. There are 3 beach areas, 5 interconnecting pools, 2 waterslides, paddle boats, kayaks, water trampoline, catamarans etc. all for free. We had kids with us and they loved snorkelling there. A great deal. They will give you day rate if they are not too booked up. Check Jamaica board and I am sure a search will get you to a link to their website.

We went to Sunset Jamaica Grande (yellow resort buildings you can see from the ship) and had an amazing day. Day rate is 45 for adults and 25 for kids. This includes all drinks, buffet breakfast (if you arrive early enough), buffet lunch, grill with great jerk chicken and fries. There are 3 beach areas, 5 interconnecting pools, 2 waterslides, paddle boats, kayaks, water trampoline, catamarans etc. all for free. We had kids with us and they loved snorkelling there. A great deal. They will give you day rate if they are not too booked up. Check Jamaica board and I am sure a search will get you to a link to their website.

http://www.sunsetjamaicagrande.com/dining.asp

how do get this day rate?

Just curious...

I dont see anything about that online ...

do you do that when you get there?

thanks

Sunset Grande Resort is possibly on the table. How did you get there??

Any other suggestions??

DH and I are not looking to be vary busy but would enjoy going some where and knowing we will be safe have some good fun and a few drinks.

Has any one been to the Dolphn Cove Beach?

Thanks to all who responded. I love to hear more?

http://www.sunsetjamaicagrande.com/dining.asp

how do get this day rate?

Just curious...

I dont see anything about that online ...

do you do that when you get there?

thanks

Another member of our party sent them an email and they replied with info. Make sure you tell them you are on a cruise to get these rates or they will quote them higher. We took a taxi there but beware, the taxi tried to force us to stop at a shopping terminal on the way but we were forceful and made them take us straight there. We walked back which took around 15-20 minutes and were harassed all the way by taxis and hair braiders etc. Just said "no thanks" and continued. Stay on the major street and you will have no problem with safety if you stay in your own group.

Thanks for this information. Sounds like a wonderful place.

There is a little beach right behind Margaritaville that costs $5 for the day with chairs and people that keep vendors off the beach. There is a big water trampoline there also. You can see the ship from the beach.

I have been researching excursions for Ocho Rios and plan on visiting Dunn’s River Falls but we also want to do the beach thing. From reading the boards it looks like we can grab food and drinks at Margaritaville and then enjoy the beach right there but I can’t find any more details. I remember seeing Bamboo Beach listed on Carnival, but other then the booking engine for excursions it has been removed. The details were removed on the booking engine and XXX has been added to the front of the name.

My question(s) is/are: Who has been to either Margaitaville or Bamboo or both? Can you offer some details including prices?

Any information will be great!

Thanks!

I just sent Sunset Jamaica Grande an email and received a response within minutes. They did tell me I would have to check back closer to my sailing date on availability (our cruise is Janauary). Below is the response they sent me and what the day pass includes.

CRUISE SHIP DAY PASS

• Snacks from two Beach Grills

• Hospitality Room with Showers

• Non-Motorized Watersports Activities

• Unlimited use of Pool & Beach Facilities

• Full Buffet Lunch (Grande Palm Restaurant)

• Unlimited Beverages (Alcoholic/non-alcoholic)

• Waterslide

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

• Beach Towels are not Provided
  • Day Pass valid 9:00am-5:00pm
  • Picture ID is required on check in
  • Access to Fitness Center & Kiddies Club not included in Package

COST

US$55.00 Per adult

US$35.00 Per child

Archived