Brooklyn pier and luggage storage

paul1959

Long shot here...

But is there any way, or are there any facilities, for us to take luggage down the day before a cruise and either check it or store it at the Brooklyn (Red Hook) terminal? It's impossible to get a live person at Cruise New York to ask this question. We live near the city and it would be so much easier to take luggage down one day and hop on the subway the next.

paul

I doubt there are any live people at Cruise New York.

We rented a Town Car to take the two of us and four pieces to Red Hook. You will be able to determine the charge in advance from a private car service.

Porters with trolleys take the bags right at the terminal entrance -- you do not have to 'schlep' them.

As far as taking the subway, that's not as convenient as you think.

I would suggest that you consider the Town Car an 'early luxury' to get you in the mood for your first cruise ever. We had ours in January and it was absolutely splendid!!

Also if your bags are black, suggest you wrap colorful ribbons or tags to clearly identify them. At the end of the cruise, you'll have to fish them out of a sea of black bags. Yes the trolley guys will be close by!

Long shot here...

But is there any way, or are there any facilities, for us to take luggage down the day before a cruise and either check it or store it at the Brooklyn (Red Hook) terminal? It's impossible to get a live person at Cruise New York to ask this question. We live near the city and it would be so much easier to take luggage down one day and hop on the subway the next.

paul

No storage facilities and the pier isn't open at all unless a ship is there. The closest Subway stop is the smith and 9th street station on the F and G lines. You can then take a bus(the 61?) going west to the walk in entrance and walk in at Sullivan and Conover Street. You really don't want to do this with any luggage. The Smith and 9th Street stop is the highest off the street with notorious poor escalator service...If you HAVE to do this get off at Carrol Street stop and grab a cab....but make sure you have directions...they won't know how to get there.

I do have a suggestion how to do this if you don't want to drive in the day of the cruise. Penn Station in Manhattan has a luggage room. You can drive into Manhattan the day before drop off your luggage at the luggage room(for a fee obviously) and then get to Penn Station and then take cab from Penn Station to the Brooklyn Pier. the Cab will be about $30.00-$35.00.

Just have directions with you.

west to 11th avenue a left on 11th avenue 11th avenue runs into west street continue on west street to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel take the BBT to Brooklyn and get off at Hamilton Avenue exit stay in left lane make the two first lefts(yes you just made a 180) make sure you don't get back into the tunnel. Follow next to the tunnel straight ahead(neither right not left) at the light at the end make a left and then the first right.

The cruise terminal is in Brooklyn immediately behind the exit to brooklyn from the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

Its illegal for a yellow cab to refuse to take you to Brooklyn.

Smeyer

Perfect solution thank you. We are New Yorkers..sort of (we do have a fractional ownership on 56th)...we are that dreaded "Bridge and Tunnel" crowd which is so often sneered at. BUT we are not from Jersey - the most sneered at of all (though entirely undeserved, my wife is from Bergen Cty). Our bridge is the best kept secret in the boroughs, the Henry Hudson Bridge, - never crowded. We live just north of the city and attend church at St. Thomas (5th at 53rd) every Sunday. A family of four on this cruise produces too much luggage for a town car and we would need a van - yuck! I thought there had to be a way to make it easier to get there. So, we will drive in to church, drop off big luggage at Penn Station. On Monday, take the train in, walk to Penn and get two cabs to Red Hook. Gee, I should start a business in the city - short term storage of stuff. I'd make a killing at Christmas.

Thanks

Paul

http://www.mta.info/bandt/html/henry.htm

I always called it the Spitndivel Bridge....I know its a canal and thought that it ends both in Manhattan(as this is not the true river its the canal and part of Manhattan is cut off and is on the Northern shore) but I think its the Valley that is Manhattan just east of the Bridge's northern terminus and the heights that the Bridge comes in on is really the Bronx....

Smeyer

Perfect solution thank you. We are New Yorkers..sort of (we do have a fractional ownership on 56th)...we are that dreaded "Bridge and Tunnel" crowd which is so often sneered at. BUT we are not from Jersey - the most sneered at of all (though entirely undeserved, my wife is from Bergen Cty). Our bridge is the best kept secret in the boroughs, the Henry Hudson Bridge, - never crowded. We live just north of the city and attend church at St. Thomas (5th at 53rd) every Sunday. A family of four on this cruise produces too much luggage for a town car and we would need a van - yuck! I thought there had to be a way to make it easier to get there. So, we will drive in to church, drop off big luggage at Penn Station. On Monday, take the train in, walk to Penn and get two cabs to Red Hook. Gee, I should start a business in the city - short term storage of stuff. I'd make a killing at Christmas.

Thanks

Paul

Paul, I don't know, that sounds an awful lot of trouble! Why not just the minivan? From the sounds of where you are, you could come down the Roosevelt, cross over the Manhattan or Williamsburg, then BQE to the terminal exit...much less congestion than a cab from Penn Station...do think this through...

Smeyer

Wow are you good. Most Manhattanites don't even know that that little part of Manhattan is over the canal. In fact, isn't there some lawsuit going on by people who are forced to go to Bronx schools?

OMG I just drifted the thread...and I am the OP. I'm so sorry. I swear to God, that it will never happen again. Just an innocent little question about traveling with too much luggage and look, I'm gone and gotten myself in trouble.

Seamates - God preserve me from ever going on the FDR. The Van that they would send is a 15 passenger CARGO van. Yikes. This is far from settled. We are also trying to find a livery that might have a suburban or one of those embarassing stretch Hummer or Escalades. Do you think we could be lucky enough for it to come in white...with rope lights on the inside...and ground effect blue lights underneath? Just call us Gotti.

Paul

Smeyer

Wow are you good. Most Manhattanites don't even know that that little part of Manhattan is over the canal. In fact, isn't there some lawsuit going on by people who are forced to go to Bronx schools?

OMG I just drifted the thread...and I am the OP. I'm so sorry. I swear to God, that it will never happen again. Just an innocent little question about traveling with too much luggage and look, I'm gone and gotten myself in trouble.

Seamates - God preserve me from ever going on the FDR. The Van that they would send is a 15 passenger CARGO van. Yikes. This is far from settled. We are also trying to find a livery that might have a suburban or one of those embarassing stretch Hummer or Escalades. Do you think we could be lucky enough for it to come in white...with rope lights on the inside...and ground effect blue lights underneath? Just call us Gotti.

Paul

Ha! (I will send you the bill for my ruined keyboard). I saw a little girl the other morning, waiting for the ride to school, step into the back of a 30ft white stretch hummer! Now that is pimpin' the ride (to school)!

Archived