What to do with our luggage

We are sailing on the Adventure of the seas in mid April out of San Juan. We have a late afternoon flight and would like to have our luggage looked after between the ship and airport. What are the options we have in this respect and what is the process of making it work?

Also, when we arrive in San Jaun to board the ship, what is the best way to handle things. I see you can get reasonable cost transportation from the airport to pier by taxi but have to wait in lines to get rid of your luggage to board. Is the bus the best way to make this happen or is inconvenient as well?

What airline are you flying?

The best option is to participate in the Onboard Luggage Valet Service. For a $20 per person fee, RCCL checks you in for your flights onboard the ship on the last full day of the cruise. They print off your boarding passes and luggage tags. You put out your bags like normal the last night, making sure to put your airline luggage tags on your bags in addition to your disembarkment tags. The next morning after you get off the ship, you go through immigration, find your bags in the warehouse, drag them past customs, and then immediately drop them back off. Your bags are taken to the airport for you and you are free to do what you want, until it's time to head to the airport. At the airport, you get to head straight to security and the gate because you are already checked in. Not all airlines participate in this though. I believe American, Delta, Continental, and United participate in San Juan. Also, your final destination must be within the US.

If you can't use the onboard luggage valet service, then you can either take a post cruise tour through the cruiseline (your luggage comes on the bus with you) or there are a couple places to store luggage in Old San Juan. The best place is Barrachina's, which is a restaurant. They do not charge to store your bags for you.

As to transportation from the airport to the pier, the best option is a taxi. You will NOT have to wait in lines to get rid of your luggage to board. The cruiseline transfers are the worst option in San Juan as you will wait to board the bus, then wait for the bus to fill up before it heads to the pier, then wait again while they unload the luggage from the bus before you are allowed off.

We are sailing on the Adventure of the seas in mid April out of San Juan. We have a late afternoon flight and would like to have our luggage looked after between the ship and airport. What are the options we have in this respect and what is the process of making it work?

Also, when we arrive in San Jaun to board the ship, what is the best way to handle things. I see you can get reasonable cost transportation from the airport to pier by taxi but have to wait in lines to get rid of your luggage to board. Is the bus the best way to make this happen or is inconvenient as well?

Here is another option for you if you do not wish to use the Luggage Express service. I have used the Luggage Express from San Juan and it is a great addition to travel.

For people who have later flights and want to tour around Old San Juan on their own, you can leave your luggage at this restaurant or tour store right in the town of Old San Juan. They will watch it for you. It is safe and secure until you return to get it.

Barrachina

104 Calle Cristo

San Juan, PR 00901 Puerto Rico

http://www.barrachina.com/

+1 787 725 7912

Open Hours 11a-11p

Overview This is a traditional sidewalk bar-café that is located in the middle of Old San Juan on Calle Cristo .

Audio Guia, San Juan, PR

Click this link below and it tells you all about their luggage storage also.

Click on their HOME to see where they are and what other services they offer such as walking tours, etc.

http://www.audioguiapr.com/dynamicda...e.aspx?lang=us

There are tours of San Juan that leave right from the cruise port. I think it is $25/pp they take you downtown old San Jaun .. you can shop and have lunch then they take you to the airport. They keep your luggage locked in the back of the tour van. You do not have to have a reservation .. they are there when you get off the ship.

What airline are you flying?

The best option is to participate in the Onboard Luggage Valet Service. For a $20 per person fee, RCCL checks you in for your flights onboard the ship on the last full day of the cruise. They print off your boarding passes and luggage tags. You put out your bags like normal the last night, making sure to put your airline luggage tags on your bags in addition to your disembarkment tags. The next morning after you get off the ship, you go through immigration, find your bags in the warehouse, drag them past customs, and then immediately drop them back off. Your bags are taken to the airport for you and you are free to do what you want, until it's time to head to the airport. At the airport, you get to head straight to security and the gate because you are already checked in. Not all airlines participate in this though. I believe American, Delta, Continental, and United participate in San Juan. Also, your final destination must be within the US.

Any chance that US Air participates in this program? We also have a late afternoon flight.

I'll second what bigeagle said.

We stumbled off the ship last November not sure what we would do while waiting for our 4:30 flight.

We were approached by Edwin from A-1 Hillbilly Tours who offered us a tour of both old and new San Juan, a chance to do more shopping and some suggestions for lunch and then a drive to the airport for $25 per person. We had a short wait at the pier while he filled his comfortable 15 passenger bus.

It was a great afternoon and filled in the time nicely. His phone number is 939-642-2580 but there will be lot's of people there with similar offers. Don't be afraid to go with one of them.

Thanks to all for all the great suggestions. These are very helpful hints. For us, I think we will cab it to the pier and then use the $20/person deal on the way home.

Again, much appreciated !

Any chance that Northwest Airlines participates in this program???

Northwest is not one I've seen mention of in any port. Now, that's not to say it hasn't been added recently.

Returned from the AOS yesterday. USAir does participate in the program along with Jet Blue. I have the form at home and will check if there are any other new ones.

Kathy J

Thanks for the update. As of last week's sailing they did not participate.

Archived