Recent Golden Princess cruisers-updated cabins?

teachergal29

I am looking for information on whether the cabins on the Golden are being updated with new mattresses and bedding. I read somewhere here that passengers had noticed the staff working on this. But I cannot find this thread due to the CC "search feature" not working now. We will be on the Golden in a aft cabin C752 May 31, '08 bound for Alaska and wondered if the mattress would be new. Thanks for any information on this.:)

Pam

We were on the Golden Feb 9-16th, and I did see them replacing both mattresses and carpeting about ten cabins forward from ours (we had D424). Additionally, a truck full of mattresses pulled up to the pier in Mazatlan.

Our room had not been updated yet, and our mattress was unfortunately hard as a rock - not the nice, plush one we had in D425 on the Crown Princess. A quick inquiry to the front desk told us that our mattress WAS new, which makes me wonder: are the updating the bedding to match the ones used on the newer ships, or merely replacing the mattresses with the same style used on the older ships? (or perhaps they just wanted to get rid of me! lol) The bed on the Crown reminded us of the wonderful ones on HAL ships; the one on the Golden brought back memories of NCL...

While I would suspect most of the upgrades should be done by the time you sail, if not, ask your cabin steward for an egg-crate - it helps quite a bit. Most of all, go and have fun!

Our room had not been updated yet, and our mattress was unfortunately hard as a rock - not the nice, plush one we had in D425 on the Crown Princess. A quick inquiry to the front desk told us that our mattress WAS new, which makes me wonder: are the updating the bedding to match the ones used on the newer ships, or merely replacing the mattresses with the same style used on the older ships? (or perhaps they just wanted to get rid of me! lol) The bed on the Crown reminded us of the wonderful ones on HAL ships; the one on the Golden brought back memories of NCL...

We have sailed on several ships since they replaced the mattresses. Each mini suite we had with the new mattresses were no where near what I would call 'plush' but more like rock hard (good for your back, difficult to get comfortable in) types of mattresses. I also had been looking so forward to something on Princess that I could call comfortable, but to date, I have not found one. Actually, we never requested the egg crate mattress pads for the old mattresses, but can't seem to do without them on the new beds. :(

We were on the Golden on the 16th -23rd cruise to the Mexican Riviera. The mattresses and bedding were both clearly new but as others have noted the mattress was quite firm. We didn't bother with the egg crate though.

I was hoping that the new mattresses would be like the ones on HAL. We have sailed only Princess, RCL, and HAL. We felt the beds on Princess and RCL were equally awful, but we loved the HAL beds.

Any other upgrades that were done to the rooms??

It amazes me that the mattresses and bedding on Carnival are so comfy and plush and the ones on Princess are so uncomfortable. When they are both owned by Carnival??????

But so are HAL beds(comfy, I mean) and they are owned by Carnival too. You would think that they would use the same comfy beds, as you said. Why leave Princess out??

We just got off the Caribbean Princess and we had the new mattresses. I must say they were hard as a rock and very uncomfortable. We are going to request the egg crate foam for our Golden cruise.

Nobody has better beds than HAL.

Archived