Upgrade?

wadecruiser

Has anyone tried to upgrade their room at the port at check in? We were thinking of upgrading from our oceanview to a balcony, but right now Alaskaair Cruise wanted to charge $600! Can you get a better deal at the port? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Only 19 days till we leave for Miami!

I have seen a notice at the Purser's desk saying that the ship is full and no upsells are available on all the 7 NCL cruises that I have done. This may be because we sail at peak times! I would never rely on getting an upgrade or upsell. If you really want the balcony I would either accept your TA's offer or contact NCL direct.

if you want to upgrade, do it before you go. our alaska cruise was sold out 5 weeks before sailing. my SIL got the last inside room when she booked. balconies were sold out before that. alaska is very popular:D

about 2 weeks before the cruise NCL begins to contact people about upgrades(you can't call to ask). If you are one of the chosen few how they choose them I don't know....they will contact you if you booked directly or your TA. It sets off a musical chairs of upgrades. No one on these boards knows how they select who to call. They rarely if ever upgrade at the pier...but you can have your TA call before hand and let them know you are interested. If you call and have a TA all they will do is refer you back to the TA.

You can't upgrade at check in. Ships always sail completely full so there are never any available rooms to upgrade to. Unless there are no-shows, but they really don't know about that until the ship sails.

Anyway, the only sure way to upgrade is to do it beforehand. Sometimes NCL will call people and offer an upgrade deal, but you can't know if they will or not.

about 2 weeks before the cruise NCL begins to contact people about upgrades(you can't call to ask). If you are one of the chosen few how they choose them I don't know....they will contact you if you booked directly or your TA. It sets off a musical chairs of upgrades. No one on these boards knows how they select who to call. They rarely if ever upgrade at the pier...but you can have your TA call before hand and let them know you are interested. If you call and have a TA all they will do is refer you back to the TA.

Just as an addition, this only happens when there are cabins and/or suites available. I wouldn't want anyone to think this always happens for every single cruise. Also, we got our first upsell call more than a month before our cruise, and I've heard of people getting calls earlier than that (but after final payment).

We asked to have it noted on our reservation that we'd be interested, but looking back, it seems kind of silly. They kind of assume that almost everyone would at least be interested in hearing an offer for a good deal.

I can't recall the last time any member here reported being able to pay for an upsell at the pier. I'm not sure NCL even does that these days.

beachchick

I can't recall the last time any member here reported being able to pay for an upsell at the pier. I'm not sure NCL even does that these days.

beachchick

Every cruise we have been on there has been a sign on the pursers desk stating that the cruise was full and no cabins were available. This is even if the ship is not full.

PE

Has anyone tried to upgrade their room at the port at check in? We were thinking of upgrading from our oceanview to a balcony, but right now Alaskaair Cruise wanted to charge $600! Can you get a better deal at the port? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Only 19 days till we leave for Miami!

Wade....you can have my aft BA if I can get an upsell for an aft AD next door. I am on their list for an upsell....if that means anything.....

Wade....you can have my aft BA if I can get an upsell for an aft AD next door. I am on their list for an upsell....if that means anything.....

I doesn't. Having it noted on your reservation doesn't get you put onto a list. NCL creates the lists based on several factors, but just saying you're interested in an upsell offer has nothing to do with being placed on the list. You can't be "on their list for an upsell" unless they put you there when they start making upsell offers (in which case, they would be calling you or your TA).

beachchick

As others have mentioned, there always seems to be sign on the pursers desk, which says between the lines "don't even think about asking us to change rooms or get an upgrade, next!"

Based on our dockside experience, it is a small miracle that we even get our assigned cabin. Mind you, it does work, but the staff that works the pier is usually somewhat clueless, and I highly doubt anyone there could figure out how to do a cabin change or upgrade.

Archived