Transatlantic wardrobe and weather

lifelover

I am going crazy trying to pack for the Legend Ft Lauderdale to Lisbon Portugal cruise. PLEASE Ladies! help if you've done this one in the past.

1. During the day, what do the women wear? How casual is the dress? Nice shorts, comfortable sandals? Or only dressier pants and dress sandals? Please give me some ideas!

2. I've read somewhere that the temperatures on the ship during this April crossing are usually warm. Do I need to pack sleeveless shirts? What's your past experiences with the transatlantic weather?

I am sure that others will reply, but if you us the search and plug in 'crossing clothes' there are a a lot of threads to peruse if you have the time. I am sure Seabourn-Nail will answer too. You will have no end of advice. But from my perspective, it's casual in the day and dressier casual in the evening. If you have read a bout people showing up for tea time in bathing suits and cover-ups, that might give you an idea, too. <G>

I appreciate your help. I wasn't able to access the search areas. But I did click on archives this morning and spent a couple of hours reading to get to know about Seabourn a bit better. There were some old questions about dress and also weather. My husband and I are flying four different airlines on this trip due to different places we're visiting. Brussels Airlines is the most strict with only one checked bag allowed at 44 pounds and they even weigh the carry on limiting it to 17.5 pounds! Since we can't really afford the shipping home option, I have to pack very carefully. I'm hoping that a few sleeveless tops and/or dresses will work on the ship during the day. I can always add a jacket when we get to France and Ireland!

Ginger

You will be fine. Do remember that the Seabourn Laundry does amazing work, so you can utilize them as well. I wear a lot of Land's End cottons and knits and they survive almost anything. Layering is the best. I remember the days when Fodor's Europe on $5-$10.00 a Day advised using one's raincoat as a bathrobe to go down the hall to the communal lav. Thank heavens those days are long over.

Ginger

I've not Crossed on the Legend but have Crossed many times aboard the Pride, (in the Spring) which Crosses 2 weeks before the Legend. Take a wind breaker and perhaps a sweater just in case the weather turns cool this year ~~we never know exactly what to expect!:eek:

A packing solution is "mix & match.":p

Have a wonderful time!

Martita B.

I read on another posting along the way that the laundry detergent you can use is a little harsh--some recommended bringing your own, along with dryer sheets. I found this website for more portable laundry detergent, but apparently, you can buy it at Walmart and other places (http://www.dropps.com/). I'm thinking this might be the way to go and then leave any extras behind for the crew's use? :confused:

Now a question, please? I always like to wear a hat or a visor on sunny days, but wasn't sure how well (or not) a hat would stay on in the wind out on the deck? If not, I'll be the one in the cheap visors as they seem to work best for me:D !

I haven't started packing yet, except for in my mind and I've already packed too much that way! I'm so excited about this cruise and have been reading posts going back a couple of years to try and pick up any tips. So far, I've got the battery tea lights, door stops, moving the chair in the room, cds for your room, a few books to leave behind, and trinkets for the crew. If anyone has any more, I'd love to hear what you've learned along the way!

Thanks!

Anne

>"I read on another posting along the way that the laundry detergent you can use is a little harsh--some recommended bringing your own, along with dryer sheets. I found this website for more portable laundry detergent, but apparently, you can buy it at Walmart and other places (http://www.dropps.com/). I'm thinking this might be the way to go and then leave any extras behind for the crew's use?"

I have not done laundry since my ffirst cruise in '02. At that time, the detergent was added automatically. I hope someone who has done laundry more recently will share if this is still the routine. I do know when my laundry comes back, it's very soft.

It is soooo easy to stress yourself out over what-to-wear/pack -- I know, I do it all the time!!! And you do have the challenge of staying within international flight weight limits.

Hope this can help: We made the crossing last year (on the Pride, which sailed 3/19, I think it was). I was surprised how mild the weather was at sea (after ourfirst 'lumpy' five days, that is!). There were days warm enough to bring out the bathing suits - some just to laze on a lounge and soak up the sun; others enjoyed the (smallish) pool. Daytime dress is just neatly casual - some sleeveless tops with a jacket or sweater in case a breeze comes up will do you fine. If the weather permits, you're likely to see some in shorts; otherwise, lightweight casual pants and comfortable shoes or sandals. Formal evenings are fairly dressy, and even on non-formal nights, most folks - esp the women - dress up a bit (though not everyone, at least on our cruise).

For the poster with the question about the hat (which I try to always wear when I'm out in the sun). I think I packed my Tilly-style hat with the strings, but many days was able to keep a lightweight cotton hat on my noggin w/o worry. But there's nothing wrong with a visor, either!

This is a spectacular experience - Have a wonderful, wonderful time!! (I would carry a packet of my own detergent, as the laundry seemed to change my husband's khaki pants....to a rather sickly shade of green!)

Archived